$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4,351 of 6,550
Well, just ordered the Dignis case.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4,353 of 6,550
Hi guys, new poster to this site so usual caveats apply (please bear with me if I use incorrect terminology or ask stupid questions).  I've recently gone a bit audiophile crazy with purchases of the Calyx M (love it, subject to teething troubles below), AKG k3003s (ditto) and some FAD PF VIIIs and Xs, which I presume are fakes due to the ludicrously low (relative) price, but sound good (in the mids anyway) and look very nice anyway.  Plus custom tip for my old Sennheiser IE80s, which are my 'everyday' pair.  Anyway, a couple of thoughts/questions re the Calyx:

1.  Anyone heard more news on when the fix for the pairing probs with the k3003s will be distributed?  It's so frustrating not to be able to use these to get the best sound available to me.

2. Should a file transfer program open when I connect the Calyx to my PC?  When I connect I first get the 'not recognized' message, then I press File Transfer mode and the Calyx M appears in my devices on my PC (and I can copy files to the Calyx memory) but no specific program opens which helps with file transfer.  Is this everyone's experience (i.e. you just have to copy files from their saved location on PC - e.g. iTunes Media Files - and paste them into the Calyx's memory?).  I think I may be missing some utility here. 

3.  What is the best way to get album art from files saved using iTunes onto the Calyx along with the audio?  Most of my iTunes library is saved as AAC files.  I think Calyx says it supports AAC but if I try to cut and paste AAC files onto the Calyx it doesn't accept them.  So I convert the AAC files to AIFF (though unhelpfully this gives suffix .aif rather than .aiff to the files, which means I can't use free converters to convert to FLAC as they only seem to recognise the .aiff suffix as AIFF files), but album art doesn't seem to follow with AIFF files?  Also, with AAC files converted to AIFF files, the Calyx also doesn't seem to recognise the album artist, and just gives the artist + album title as the album title, and the artist as 'unknown'.  If I convert from .aif to FLAC (I've found converters which do this, but not for free) then should the album art follow?  Presumably, if I just copy a JPEG of the album art into the Calyx's memory, that won't work?  I know it's all about the audio, but I am a bit of an 'album art tart'.

4. I have the Dignis case, and I recommend it, really good quality.

OK, that's it for now, thanks for help and sorry for the long post. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,354 of 6,550
Regarding #2, one sees the Calyx as an external drive in Explorer and can drag-and-drop files accordingly. So I guess the answer to your question is no. (I cannot imagine what kind of utility you were expecting though.)

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4,355 of 6,550
Hi cooperpwc, thanks for the response.  The reason why I thought there might be more to file transfer than the drag-and-drop is that I read this in the Manual:  
"Press “File transfer”. 
Windows will install a program to transfer music files into M. 
After installing the program, Windows will open a message window for file transfer to the M. 
Please select “Open files” and move/copy music files you want to the M." 

I don't get any of lines 2-4 after I press File Transfer.  It sounds like you don't either? 

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #4,357 of 6,550
  Hi cooperpwc, thanks for the response.  The reason why I thought there might be more to file transfer than the drag-and-drop is that I read this in the Manual:  
"Press “File transfer”. 
Windows will install a program to transfer music files into M. 
After installing the program, Windows will open a message window for file transfer to the M. 
Please select “Open files” and move/copy music files you want to the M." 

I don't get any of lines 2-4 after I press File Transfer.  It sounds like you don't either? 

Ah! Someone who actually had the manual available when they bought the M. :)

It is true that when you first plug a new drive into Windows, a dialogue box should come up offering certain options. I always choose the option to have it open the drive in Explorer. 

(I think that there actually is a transfer music files option in that dialogue box. I would not want to use it anyway. Drag and drop / copy and paste is simplest.)

So long as you are able to see the M in Explorer, everything is okay. Just copy music over.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #4,358 of 6,550
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess you're right, it's just referring to File Explorer in Windows so at least I'm not missing out on some whizz-bang easy file transfer utility.  The weird thing is I can't find all my iTunes media files using File Explorer to transfer them across, but that is a Windows/iTunes issue rather than an M one of course.  I'd welcome any views on how best to transfer files from iTunes to the M with artwork and correct artist/album info too.  And I really hope the 'M jack' or whatever they're calling it is going to be shipped soon, I can't wait to use my AKGs with the M.   Thanks again for the info guys. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4,360 of 6,550
Darn I did all I can to hate the Calyx M and I couldnt, it passed and it is now going to get the same status as my ER4S. This weekend I am going to get a microSD and go all WAV and test out the battery life on WAV only file, family can wait :D

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4,361 of 6,550
Yope... That Is a nice move:)

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,362 of 6,550
One more brand came w/CalyxM is Gariz...
It is rather leather bumper than a case though, like this...
http://www.gariz.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=790&main_cate_no=&display_group=
I got both of 'em... Gariz one is more focused on the heat reducing, on the other hand, Dignis' for better protecton.
Gariz has Brown/Black of your choice.  Dignis has a hole on the back(to show off the logo,probably to loose some heat,too) version and the special edition of complete covered version(i dunno if they're still avaliable...)

http://dignis.co.kr/product/list.html?cate_no=54
Dignis' got other dap products too

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4,363 of 6,550
Well guys I've come to a final decision. I'm keeping the CalyxM. Yes its querky the odd time but it sounds to good for me to let go. Can anyone point me to a cheap case for this thing. I'm really not to crazy about spending 100 bones on a overpriced leather case from Calyx

Use two thick rubber bands(usual rubber bands to bind DAPs w/Amps n stuff) on the top and the bottom of your CalyxM
The minimalism beauty.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,365 of 6,550
  0.97 is available: 

http://www.calyx.kr/xe/index.php?mid=notice&document_srl=32727

Copy it onto the M (I put it at the internal storage root) and go to the settings > System Info > Firmware update.

Is 0.98 firmware available? As there is 0.98 manual on the site 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back