$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #3,751 of 6,550
  For me it seems to be more to do with which IEM I have. The case might not be shielded perfectly but I think certain IEM with poor shielding act like an antenna and just add to the problem.

So far my best pairings are ER4S/IM04/IE800. They sound great with no need to add an amp.

M is a good source for wagnus however I dont feel the need to have it. 

Hmmmm.  I've actually had this happen when building an amp for FM radio in the lab.  The cable connected to the power supply was picking up nearby radio signal, and we heard it out of the speaker.  I have an old Sony DAP which back then had portable FM radio feature built in.  Guess where the antenna for the radio was?  
rolleyes.gif
  On the damn headphone.  The headphone cable was the antenna.  I don't know exactly how they did it, but possibly stock headphone had a separate wire of specific length to match the FM wavelength for radio pickup.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,752 of 6,550
  Well... 

First of all, I believe ipod is a wicked good music player(when it comes to the balanced hifi sound)...
I also believe Apple's earpods deliver really good sound w/ affordable price...
People have tendency of thinking more priced product tops cheaper ones... and also have tendency of famous companies only have names but no quality,
but Apple's music products beat both conditions... and we're too used to recognize such awesome products(Apple made such standards... we're just .. used to it)

Handful of manufacturers claim they make DAPs... but I don't even know what DAP stands for...(doesn't mean I don't really know what it stands for but I don't think we have such standard for DAP products yet... DAPs are relatively new to us.) so what you gotta believe are only your ears.

I think a DAP, (when it comes to the definition,) should deliver good sound of digital music medium and at the same time, got to be different from MP3s and CDs...(if its just like older digital devices... why do we need it?)and I think Calyx M satisfies these. Mainly focused on its sound... 

I think a part of the reason why companies make DAP things are to break through such saturated market and the world wide depression of our miserable economy.
So we get fooled by some makers...(probably an ipod would be good enough... consumers always get fooled by product makers if you see through history, because we just have such tendency to consume) but one thing to make sure is we need to get better products than yesterday.

I had my chance to check the sound of M before it was on mass production since I've been living in S.Korea for last several years, and since the very first time I heard the sound, I like it a lot. ( I also loved D&A till this period o' time, I'm not sure now.)
D&A modified this n that afterwise... skipping WiFi n  changing shape n...( people of this thread got kinda angry for these reasons and others) but those weren't really big things to me as long as it sounded good. And I'm satisfied till now...(I mean, the sound to me is not everything but the most important factor) I absolutely agree w/it's sound.
For a while, I couldn't understand some people of this thread got so angry about D&A... I only thought they are the people of competitors tryin to screw this thread so D&A goes down... but noticed thats not all. To explain about this...I got to write a book about it, but sad thing is mainly about ... the company having no sensitivity of bearing people... Sometimes... I feel D&A only cares about people who only praise D&A...  In direct word... D&A  seems like to me, saying 'a big **** you' to everyone who makes such notice to the product or the company... their announcement sometimes sounds like that. Doesn't seem like D&A bears people.
I won't mention everything about it and short out now, cos it will be really long if I do so... but I feel Calyx M is... kinda got underestimated because of these reasons...

If I kinda review about Calyx M as a product, in one word, I would say... somewhat... revolutionary. (I'm sayin out this from my heart,man...n I hav no such relation w/ calyx, swear to God. I hav such sad feeling about Calyx rather... cos they seem to have no respect to me.)
Cos it delivers deference from older digital players, such as supporting native DSD in good price(unlike n like AK240). The battery latency isn't quite good as P1, but fair if  considering it bears class A amp inside(dunno if its true.. I've heard and was understandable by hearing the sound,), Sabre 9018 family DAP, very fine tuned... not the best but fair UI which is getting better time after time w/ firms... n revolutionary(at least to me)thick and warm sound which got the scant of analog... like the name of the company.

If you have accurate ears and listen to Calyx M for a week or so... You would notice What I mention about the sound is very true(at least about the sound...). Overall...this is a fat product which I got stuck...
But I hope the company load "the Sensitivity" in its heart. I mean... like Apple..or people like me just sell this product as used with regret. and join in the blaming mob...

Just mumbled w/  breaky heart... (cos I love this product)
But wrote this $hit,facing very true of my heart.
Was this some kinda answer to you? or a review? 
I don't even know...:p
Thanks for the reputation.

Great stream of consciousness on the M from someone who clearly shares my love for the player.

A few thoughts:

Thank god they left the wi-fi off. Can you imagine the battery life otherwise? They removed it to add full SD card support. I approve.

I think it more than a fair UI. I will go so far as to say it is glorious but with two big issues:
1. lagging, especially when you go into an Artist who has multiple albums, the list often freezes and leaves you waiting
2. no folder browser.  Please please please Calyx, fix this
Both these issues can be improved/resolved through coding, I believe

I am not convinced that D&A management are bad people at all. I think that they are audiophiles that are a bit inept at marketing and communication. They display some hubris but they direct it at putting out a fine audiophile product at a decent price and they are succeeding. That is good management in its own right. It works for me.

And yes, it really is an analog/organic/warm/euphonic (call it what you like) sound but so clean. This is one of my good purchases.  

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,754 of 6,550

Great stream of consciousness on the M from someone who clearly shares my love for the player.

A few thoughts:

Thank god they left the wi-fi off. Can you imagine the battery life otherwise? They removed it to add full SD card support. I approve.

I think it more than a fair UI. I will go so far as to say it is glorious but with two big issues:
1. lagging, especially when you go into an Artist who has multiple albums, the list often freezes and leaves you waiting
2. no folder browser.  Please please please Calyx, fix this
Both these issues can be improved/resolved through coding, I believe

I am not convinced that D&A management are bad people at all. I think that they are audiophiles that are a bit inept at marketing and communication. They display some hubris but they direct it at putting out a fine audiophile product at a decent price and they are succeeding. That is good management in its own right. It works for me.

And yes, it really is an analog/organic/warm/euphonic (call it what you like) sound but so clean. This is one of my good purchases.  

I feel very much like you in many ways...
Two things what you mentioned(lagging, browsing)are the exactly same thing that I want to mention.(hope it gets better later) 
Battery life? I've heard the battery could be replaced to bigger capacity ones later... so I don't mind.

I personally felt some sort of defamation when I got  my warranty service from them... probably its just personal though....(Can't judge clearly at this point, cos it's not done yet... but I got insulted and someone was insensitive about it.)   feeling is as important as factors in human life, wasn't well mannered at least. That incident refrained me something happened here before... 

I don't want to be unfair... so I better stop... until everything gets clear.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #3,755 of 6,550
I don't know the details of your issue but warranty service is important. I hope that works out.

Good comment on the battery. I do hope that it is easily replaceable and that Square Wave provide this service in China. Not much information on this aspect of the M yet.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,756 of 6,550

Also couldn't care less about WiFi on the device that I really only use on my commute as a source and dac at the office.  Would have preferred they do 2 microSD instead though.  Been the standard in DAPs for a while now.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3,757 of 6,550

Also couldn't care less about WiFi on the device that I really only use on my commute as a source and dac at the office.  Would have preferred they do 2 microSD instead though.  Been the standard in DAPs for a while now.

But you can use a microSD in the slot with an adaptor (which often comes with the microSD; I have several). So it makes it very versatile. Full size SDs are cheap on a per GB basis and lots of us have them lying around. I do not see any downside anyway except that swapping out microSDs becomes more cumbersome. Anyway, let's face it, swapping cards in the M is a (relative) nightmare. The first scan takes quite a few minutes. Later, start-up scans just check for changes so two minutes at most and that will only get faster with firmware updates. The beauty of the M is that you can install so much memory (448GB) that you do not need to swap cards.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #3,758 of 6,550
I think the important think is to edit out the junk meta-data from your tags. My scan is very fast, I only have 128GB of data but I never experience lag, my tags are very clean. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #3,759 of 6,550
  I think the important think is to edit out the junk meta-data from your tags. My scan is very fast, I only have 128GB of data but I never experience lag, my tags are very clean. 

While we are on it, would you kindly tell me or tell us that which properties we should remove from our files? For example when I right click on a song in my foobar2k I get quite an information in properties menu. Call it, Artist, Album, Year etc etc. Which ones we should clear out to make things faster and easier?

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #3,760 of 6,550
While we are on it, would you kindly tell me or tell us that which properties we should remove from our files? For example when I right click on a song in my foobar2k I get quite an information in properties menu. Call it, Artist, Album, Year etc etc. Which ones we should clear out to make things faster and easier?

Keep what is important for you. I keep artist, album artist, album, year, track, track title and delete the rest.

It is a fairly simple task, load all you songs on foobar, select all and than edit all of the metadata by removing the thing you don't want

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,761 of 6,550
My M sometimes continuously picking up interference. Tried switching my phone to airplane mode but the noise is still audible occasionally...
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,762 of 6,550
  My M sometimes continuously picking up interference. Tried switching my phone to airplane mode but the noise is still audible occasionally...
frown.gif

I think it is the unit picking up all the RFI that your IEM cable picks up. Try using some other IEM and see if the problem still presents. I know silly solution and this should never happen. 

I wonder if the case can improve things?

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #3,763 of 6,550
Keep what is important for you. I keep artist, album artist, album, year, track, track title and delete the rest.

It is a fairly simple task, load all you songs on foobar, select all and than edit all of the metadata by removing the thing you don't want

Thanks mate, I did. I will see how it changes in my next dap purchases. I kept the basic things like Artist, Album Artist, Album, Date, Track, Disc Number. I also realized there was so many junk info. I suppose it will be really good and make a difference.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #3,764 of 6,550
Quo've s:
Originally Posted audionewbi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think it is the unit picking up all the RFI that your cable picks up. Try using some other IEM and see if the problem still presents. I know silly solution and this should never happen. 

I wonder if the case can improve things?

My ve stage 4 is the only iem I have at the moment. But I do not hear any noise when using the hifiman 901.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back