$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,556 of 6,550
I've yet to read anyone not liking the sound. I am waiting on Cowon Plenue P1 reviews. I think from there I can make a better choice.

Yeah... I'm considering to buy p1, too...
Many P1 owners seem to be satisfied...
Since I will not resell or give away my Calyx M(I'm quite satisfied), I want WIFI and other gimmicks from my second device though...(DIVX would be good, too.)
I'll wait till iphone 6 and if iphone 6 is not about hi-rez sound... then I will get p1:p
Another option is ... I might go for the next SONY DAP...

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #3,557 of 6,550
  Seems like 0.95 consumes more power than 0.6, as one local user reported.

Possibly... (that sounds sad...)

I just read two things about Calyx M :1. Calyx M got class A audio $hit inside... means it will consume more energy than others...                                                        (considering that... .95's heat reducing was very good)
                                                   2. bigger capacity battery can be installed inside o' Calyx M...(if someone tries w/o authorization of the manufacturer, of course they'll lose their follow up service  though...)

I'm not sure if these rumors are true or not ... but if it's true, the battery latency is understandable.
Hope D&A improves M's battery latency in the future though.  

To be honest, I have no complain about the sound ... (even though it will never have an official  EQ... unless users make one, since the UI is based on android)
App wizards, plz make some homemade EQ for Calyx M....:p

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,558 of 6,550
seems like there are more disappointed non owners than owners in this thread...

so do you like to tag 440GB of songs just for this player? other people are complaining about the same thing. 
Come on, any music fan with rationale mind would think directory view is necessary. Say, if you have a collection of songs with similar titles that can't be tagged, it will show up on one 'unknwon' folder. It will take you several minutes to find the song that you want every time. When you have paid 1000 dollars for one music player, you're not suppose to expect this type of errors. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,559 of 6,550
Since I will not resell or give away my Calyx M(I'm quite satisfied), I want WIFI and other gimmicks from my second device though...(DIVX would be good, too.)
I'll wait till iphone 6 and if iphone 6 is not about hi-rez sound... then I will get p1:p

I don't think the P1 has wifi?

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #3,561 of 6,550
  so do you like to tag 440GB of songs just for this player? other people are complaining about the same thing. 
Come on, any music fan with rationale mind would think directory view is necessary. Say, if you have a collection of songs with similar titles that can't be tagged, it will show up on one 'unknwon' folder. It will take you several minutes to find the song that you want every time. When you have paid 1000 dollars for one music player, you're not suppose to expect this type of errors. 

That you didn't fix the tags until you had a 440GB library isn't Calyx's problem.  I can't remember the last time I played from the browser and not tags.  Both on my DAP and PC.  Your media player should get most music right and any errors you get can be fixed by hand AS YOU GO.  In my case JRiver made roughly 5 errors in my ~3000 song library.  

If you can create a folder structure to make it make sense, you can tag it to do the same.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,562 of 6,550
Again, people shoud just tag their libraries . One doesn't have to tag every single field of every song. There are tools to help doing the job in mass. Sure it will take some hours or even days to finish, take your time, but after that all media players and DAPs work perfectly and music will be a lot easier to scroll, find and play.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,563 of 6,550
Yes, but if they put a proper folder browsing function, it can save times of many others. If you have paid one thousand dollars and want to be able to browse on your DAP quicker, just tell them you want to do it. 
It's not because it's impossible to add folder browsing function. It's because they're simply not responding to our requests or request amount is not enough for them. I'm sure it will take them about a week or two to make that kind of software update.
If I were a guy sitting there behind a computer screen and waiting to get $1000 per a DAP, I would fix this immediately for you. Wouldn't you do the same? I can't understand some people who won't do it.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,564 of 6,550
There will be use case for people like me who dont know how to tag wav files ripped from EAC that would work on DAP...i understand FLAC is a better alternative but audiophiles are superstitious this way..

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,565 of 6,550

I have 440GB of classical music on my Calyx M, and the continuing lack of adequate folder browsing is frustrating. However, the sound quality is so outstanding, I can forgive this. As I said many pages ago, the frustrations with the UI are nothing compared with the irritations of using iTunes.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,566 of 6,550

I have the zx1, love it but I have this feeling like I'm missing out on better sound quality. It does fit my life style better with its size, I'm very active and do most of my listening either walking outside or at the gym.

That's my other big reason for not getting a really nice DAP. I'm going to Crack though... I think I'll love the sound of the Calyx.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,567 of 6,550
.i understand FLAC is a better alternative but audiophiles are superstitious this way..

Lossless is lossless.  That said these players, AK, Calyx, Fiio, iBasso, HiFiMAN are all FLAC players that also support other media but their strength and least buggy playback is FLAC.  Make your life difficult with WAV if need be but know your players would rather you didn't :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3,569 of 6,550
My files are perfectly tagged: Genre > Artist > Album > Song. I browse exclusively by tags in Foobar using the Facets browser. So I should do okay on the Calyx.

HOWEVER I still regard a Folder Browser as essential. For example, I want to divide my Artists by Genre which the M does not support on tags. I do that in my folders. I always use Folder Browsing on DAPs (Rockbox, X5 etc.). The function should be available.

(I have expressed that many times here but I won't contact Calyx on it before I own and have used the M.)

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,570 of 6,550
For genre browsing I believe the playlist functionality should be OK. Just sort the files once and browse the playlists hapilly ever after.

I also agree that coding a folder browser is doable and useful for some people, but first they should focus on the issues that affect all people, like improving battery life and worldwide distribution for example. Priorities.

Instead of complaining on web forums and mailing them, I personally would spend my time tagging my library and fixing the issue myself instead of waiting for other people to solve my problems for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back