$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2,851 of 6,550
I had one on pre order but cancelled after reading all the negative stuff. The impressions posted have been polar opposites...one saying the M is a high end device and others saying it is quite poor (or at least the SQ is not worth the price) So now i am just sitting back waiting to read more impressions and reviews.  

Has anyone followed the links i posted on page 188 and tried to translate ? Both posts look as though they contain a bit of detail so it may be very interesting reading if someone can translate them. Perhaps someone from Korea could translate and paste them in here for the benefit of all.  

May 20, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #2,852 of 6,550
gracky's comments have left me in no doubt that, in terms of SQ, the M is definitely right up my street, and from the video posted, the UI looks no worse or slower than any other first-release DAP.  The other reported bugs and missing features are not deal breakers for me personally, so really it was only the price to buy it in/get it delivered to the UK which was a concern.

The battery life, however...

If it really is as little as 4-5 hours and there is nothing that can be done about it, that might decide it for me.  Apart from anything else, I'll be coming to the M from a Cowon X7 which, as most of you probably know, lasts for about 9 years on a single charge (/exaggeration, but you know what I mean).  If the M had a user replaceable battery, then it might not bother me so much, but as it is...

So, pending further reviews and any improvements by D&A, it looks like I might go back to playing the waiting game AGAIN.  Harrumph!

May 20, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #2,853 of 6,550
  gracky's comments have left me in no doubt that, in terms of SQ, the M is definitely right up my street, and from the video posted, the UI looks no worse or slower than any other first-release DAP.  The other reported bugs and missing features are not deal breakers for me personally, so really it was only the price to buy it in/get it delivered to the UK which was a concern.

The battery life, however...

If it really is as little as 4-5 hours and there is nothing that can be done about it, that might decide it for me.  Apart from anything else, I'll be coming to the M from a Cowon X7 which, as most of you probably know, lasts for about 9 years on a single charge (/exaggeration, but you know what I mean).  If the M had a user replaceable battery, then it might not bother me so much, but as it is...

So, pending further reviews and any improvements by D&A, it looks like I might go back to playing the waiting game AGAIN.  Harrumph!

Re battery life... Yeah... I am coming from the mighty (in terms of battery life) Studio 3rd Anniversary with it's 60 plus hours on a single charge. I do hope 4-5 hours is not the reality for the M.

May 20, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #2,854 of 6,550
Re battery life... Yeah... I am coming from the mighty (in terms of battery life) Studio 3rd Anniversary with it's 60 plus hours on a single charge. I do hope 4-5 hours is not the reality for the M.

Sorry but it is true(at least for now), a guy belong to Calyx naver cafe posed a question about battery life when playing music(not necessarily 24bit) and 70 percent answered '4 hours or less'.
So that's it.
And 2 sennheiser ie80 users said that they hear 'tick' sound when playing some Sanjo music tracks. Well, sanjo is the slowest possible music in the world, so we can guess that M has a superpower that even make eventhe slowest music have a super-fast, accurate, and high end(I'm out of adjective) signal that even the mighty sennheiser's 'transient response' can't handle(but why tick sound, not harsh treble caused by diaphragm break-up which is a typical response from bad transient response), according to ceo of calyx.
But tell you the truth other than baa~d battery life and occasional tick sound, people say M sounds great, if not necessarily better than AK 100, 120, or 240.

May 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,855 of 6,550
"tick" sound for which file format and at what resolution? It could be a minor software glitch that can be bypassed by converting to different format. Have you guys sent the file to Calyx to invetigate?

May 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,856 of 6,550
Interestingly, some people are reporting a faint sound when the memory card is accessed during playback, on the DX90:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-to-reformat-and-fw-download-new-fw-available/5055#post_10553577

Of course, the ES9018K2M is a common component between the Calyx-M and the DX90, but I really doubt that the sound is DAC-related.

It's just an interesting coincidence.

These DAPs are getting more and more resolving of the tiniest signals and musical details, and, with the unfortunate compromises which are necessary to shoehorn high-performance components into a small DAP chassis (notably in terms of power supply implementation, as just one of many possible examples), it may not come as a surprise that signals other than the music itself may be vaguely discernible in the high-resolution audio output.

May 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2,857 of 6,550
Interestingly, some people are reporting a faint sound when the memory card is accessed during playback, on the DX90:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-to-reformat-and-fw-download-new-fw-available/5055#post_10553577

Of course, the ES9018K2M is a common component between the Calyx-M and the DX90, but I really doubt that the sound is DAC-related.

These DAPs are getting more and more resolving of the tiniest signals and musical details, and, with the unfortunate compromises which are necessary to shoehorn high-performance components into a small DAP chassis (notably in terms of power supply implementation, as just one of many possible examples), it may not come as a surprise that signals other than the music itself may be vaguely discernible in the high-resolution audio output.

Right on, the dac and it's noise shaping technology is definitively sensitive to inputs, having said that my feeling it that it must have been introduced in the signal (I2S) prior to entering the dac if it's the problem. The Dac will gladly pass it along with might I say the noise shaped out of the reconstructed signal but the click must have been captured during some operation and transmitted to the dac inputs. That's just a theory, no way to prove it cause I have not heard it myself. I need to reconstruct that user experience to be able to reproduce it. :frowning2:

May 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,858 of 6,550
Right on, the dac and it's noise shaping technology is definitively sensitive to inputs, having said that my feeling it that it must have been introduced in the signal (I2S) prior to entering the dac if it's the problem. The Dac will gladly pass it along with might I say the noise shaped out of the reconstructed signal but the click must have been captured during some operation and transmitted to the dac inputs. That's just a theory, no way to prove it cause I have not heard it myself. I need to reconstruct that user experience to be able to reproduce it. :frowning2:

"tick" sound for which file format and at what resolution? It could be a minor software glitch that can be bypassed by converting to different format. Have you guys sent the file to Calyx to invetigate?

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
I think any of them can be a explanation.
But we'll get one when calyx really try to get to the bottom of it.
But that is not happening right now as far as i know from the M cafe. Because the ceo already announced again and and again that whatever happended that's the faults of earphones/headphones not the M's.
How he knew all the answers, even before look into the Ms that showed the problems, and how could he announced that it's hp's problem far away from Germany? Because he just knew and according to him, other CEOs(whose name can't be revealed) from headphone companies agreed with him. Well, that should includes Daniel Sennheiser Whose former flagship earphone ie80 just humbled by mighty M, and whose next flagship ie800 was reported to have the same problem by one user.

May 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,859 of 6,550
Thanks for the ideas, guys.
I think any of them can be a explanation.
But we'll get one when calyx really try to get to the bottom of it.
But that is not happening right now as far as i know from the M cafe. Because the ceo already announced again and and again that whatever happended that's the faults of earphones/headphones not the M's.
How he knew all the answers, even before look into the Ms that showed the problems, and how could he announced that it's hp's problem far away from Germany? Because he just knew and according to him, other CEOs(whose name can't be revealed) from headphone companies agreed with him. Well, that should includes Daniel Sennheiser Whose former flagship earphone ie80 just humbled by mighty M, and whose next flagship ie800 was reported to have the same problem by one user.

If he answered that way then he's playing the second party blame game which means let's blame it on the component that plugs to our perfectly designed player. That's kind a lame and does not show a desire to take responsibility for a possible bad design decision or at least before he starts talking he should understand the problem. You said the CEO which is a few levels removed from the design team so I'd take what he says with a huge grain of salt, most of them don't even have an idea what going on in their company at that level.

May 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,860 of 6,550
4-5 hours is unfortunate - I think I'd enjoy the sound, too.

May 22, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,861 of 6,550
Hey, guys.

I got my calyx M several days ago. I could not follow all the replying words. But recently, I think the battery capability is another issues. Actually, Korean primary users I guess that it would be more than 200. They have got their own M from 12th of May to 21th of May. In Korean calyx M online community, we shares a lot about the information about the M. Probably as you guys know, it is their first digital audio player, so software is unstable and UI is not perfectly comfortable. So the company is trying to fix the major errors to pursue perfection. Many users are reporting many types of the errors of the program including I.

I can't tell you guys at this time, but actually, calyx M matches very well with various headphones which has impedance generally in 32 ohms to 150 ohms. Sennheiser HD700 is just good but volumes should be more than 70 to 80% of maximmum. AKG K812 Pro is another good matching headphones however, K712 and K612 is may not so good in some music because of their low sensitivity (dB). I think best matching with calyx M at this moment is AUDEZE LCD-X and FOSTEX TH900. I reviewed these headphones with Calyx M in my Korean blog. It was so interesting experience. Within that headphones, you will experience the awesome musicality driven by calyx M I guarantee that.

300ohm headphones such as HD800 and HD600 is not playing so well with direct connected to M. LCD-2 renewal version after FAZOR technology equipped, their matching is very good but dependent on the music sources (the volume of music itself). I heard that Digital and Analog are planning to release portable amps to handle those headphones. I am very pleased to wait for that.

Another wonderful matching is Sennheiser HD598. Believe me! it was so fantastic. I already have listened to HD598 several times, I could not realize that HD598 coupled with calyx M plays so fantastic. When I first recommend HD598 to match with M in Korean community, some of the people has tried and they also agreed with my impressions.

Battery time, I know we can't satisfy now, but full charged (2 or 3 hours are required to be charged to be full even after battery full signal is presented on display) calyx M can 6 hours with various types of format from 320K MP3 to DSD or 24bit 352kHz DXD. We asked the company to fix the battery sensor correct.

Sound quality itself is wonderful. Experience the calyx M with high-resolution music files such as native DSD and DXD format. As I know it would be the sole player to play 32bit/384 DXD format. I have never experienced 32bit/384kHz music. However, when I experienced 24bit/352kHz DXD wav files from 2L, simply put, it is more than portable DAP. This machine is compressed home audio source level.

Sound itself is untouchable. I do not want to compare with other famous DAP such as AK240, DX90, NWZ-ZX1, FiiO X5. They have their own good characters, however, I strongly recommend you to listen to calyx M if you have any chance to get it and listen. It's strongly worth it~! I guarantee that.

From Maxlight in South Korea. :- )

May 22, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2,862 of 6,550
  Hey, guys.

I got my calyx M several days ago. I could not follow all the replying words. But recently, I think the battery capability is another issues. Actually, Korean primary users I guess that it would be more than 200. They have got their own M from 12th of May to 21th of May. In Korean calyx M online community, we shares a lot about the information about the M. Probably as you guys know, it is their first digital audio player, so software is unstable and UI is not perfectly comfortable. So the company is trying to fix the major errors to pursue perfection. Many users are reporting many types of the errors of the program including I.

I can't tell you guys at this time, but actually, calyx M matches very well with various headphones which has impedance generally in 32 ohms to 150 ohms. Sennheiser HD700 is just good but volumes should be more than 70 to 80% of maximmum. AKG K812 Pro is another good matching headphones however, K712 and K612 is may not so good in some music because of their low sensitivity (dB). I think best matching with calyx M at this moment is AUDEZE LCD-X and FOSTEX TH900. I reviewed these headphones with Calyx M in my Korean blog. It was so interesting experience. Within that headphones, you will experience the awesome musicality driven by calyx M I guarantee that.

300ohm headphones such as HD800 and HD600 is not playing so well with direct connected to M. LCD-2 renewal version after FAZOR technology equipped, their matching is very good but dependent on the music sources (the volume of music itself). I heard that Digital and Analog are planning to release portable amps to handle those headphones. I am very pleased to wait for that.

Another wonderful matching is Sennheiser HD598. Believe me! it was so fantastic. I already have listened to HD598 several times, I could not realize that HD598 coupled with calyx M plays so fantastic. When I first recommend HD598 to match with M in Korean community, some of the people has tried and they also agreed with my impressions.

Battery time, I know we can't satisfy now, but full charged (2 or 3 hours are required to be charged to be full even after battery full signal is presented on display) calyx M can 6 hours with various types of format from 320K MP3 to DSD or 24bit 352kHz DXD. We asked the company to fix the battery sensor correct.

Sound quality itself is wonderful. Experience the calyx M with high-resolution music files such as native DSD and DXD format. As I know it would be the sole player to play 32bit/384 DXD format. I have never experienced 32bit/384kHz music. However, when I experienced 24bit/352kHz DXD wav files from 2L, simply put, it is more than portable DAP. This machine is compressed home audio source level.

Sound itself is untouchable. I do not want to compare with other famous DAP such as AK240, DX90, NWZ-ZX1, FiiO X5. They have their own good characters, however, I strongly recommend you to listen to calyx M if you have any chance to get it and listen. It's strongly worth it~! I guarantee that.

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like you're happy with it despite the problems with the UI and battery life. Do you know if anything can be done to extend the battery life via firmware updates? 6 hours is really much too low for me. I would still like to hear it, though. Cheers!

May 22, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,863 of 6,550

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like you're happy with it despite the problems with the UI and battery life. Do you know if anything can be done to extend the battery life via firmware updates? 6 hours is really much too low for me. I would still like to hear it, though. Cheers!

I asked CEO to improve battery time by renewal of firmware updates. He said,

"We are trying to, but all the parts and circuits were made to exert their 100% to give you the best music quality without negotiation with efficiency."

The results is that I am listening now. Fantastic!!! You will forget about the battery running time. But it was not enough for me neither, so I bought the external battery which has the 10800mAh power. I can handle all day without charge from building electricity. It can play while it is charging. :- )

I have experienced all of those DAPs and several high quality DACs including Musiland MD30, Naim DAC V-1, Grace design m903. However, my choice was calyx M. I respect the favors of individuals, so I do not say this DAP is the best. However, it is worthy to listen to.

Thank you. :)

May 22, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2,864 of 6,550
  Hey, guys.

strongly worth it~! I guarantee that.

Hi, Thanks for posting. I found your blog but couldn't translate it so thanks for summarizing.

Any reports on how it pairs with TOTL IEMs ?

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back