$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,581 of 6,549
Lol... I think @iohk already did!

Yes I did. Would be nice to meet, I somewhat wished we had tried the Calyx together :)
Just in case it isn't clear from the different posts, the Calyx M will only be delivered at the end of May / first week of June.
In terms of posting "proper" impressions, I think we will all have to wait at least another month...

May 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #2,582 of 6,549

I pretty much only listen to EDM, and I have been very happy with my ZX1, to my ears it has everything you asked about, bass is extended and highly textured, treble is very extended with no roll off, sound stage is as huge and airy as they come . The ZX1 has very fast dynamics and energy in the sound, it makes me literally dance and head bang to music! I've also just ordered a DX90 to see how it compares. I have decided to pass on the M as it doesn't sound like it suits EDM from impressions so far.

I have also owned AK120 and DX50, the DX50 was no good for EDM in my opinion, it had bass roll off and mids were too warm, plus soundstage and dynamics were not great. The AK120 is comparable to the ZX1 in that it has a nice soundstage, and good frequency balance, but the ZX1 wins for me as it has a real forward energy in the sound while the AK120 is relaxed and smooth sounding. The result is that EDM sounds very good on both, but the AK120 is better for relaxing while listening to EDM, while the ZX1 is better for dancing and head banging to EDM.

I haven't heard the AK240, but from impressions I can tell it carries the same AK house sound of being detailed yet smooth and fluid, so I fear it may lack a bit of energy (just for EDM). But I'm sure that the AK240 is a great sound that I can guess would be one of the most versatile sound sigs around, suiting any genre. While the ZX1 does EDM better than any other genre imo.

If you don't want to drop 2.5K on the AK240 for a excellent versatile sound, then you can't go wrong with the ZX1 for specially EDM.

By the way KKCC, how does the DX90 do for EDM, compared to say the ZX1 and AK240?

May I ask what you categorise as EDM?
I didn't get to try the M with "electronic" music, but I would agree that if one listens to the likes of Autechre / LFO one will probably prefer the AK240, or the AK120. Four Tet, Mount Kimbie, Boards of Canada would (I hope) work with the M. I might be showing my age!
Anyway, I digress. If there are some tracks that can be representative of what you are listening too, and if I have them, I will try to prepare a playlist to test the M further.
Best, K.

May 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,583 of 6,549
This is a tricky question to handle because I have demoed IE800 only briefing before on 2 occasions and I have only heard the AK100 once only so I can only based on my memory of it. Before I suggest anything to you, I would ask you to demo the DX90 and AK120 yourself first if possible. That would be the best way not to go wrong, but if you are not able to get access to them, I would suggest the DX90 for you for 2 main reasons:

1) My memory of AK100 is more neutral than AK120 which is consistent of what most people claimed. Seems closer to the DX90 signature that I have heard which would most likely be more familiar to you than the AK120. Also less likely to go wrong pairing IE800's SQ to it.

2) DX90 comes close to AK120's performance at less than half its price. So it is a better pick in terms of price-to-performance ratio.

Also if you are planning to upgrade to a better DAP in the near future, it is wiser to just get the DX90 at its lower price point so upgrading would not feel like a waste. Of course you can still resell your old DAP but that is another different consideration.

However, if you really want to try AK120 out and don't mind dealing with reselling you can buy a used one to try and sell it again without much loss if you find that it does not suit your taste.

How does this even remotely qualify as a recommendation in relation to the unique qualities of the IE800?

Which misses the point anyway. This is not a DAP recommendation thread. Lots of places for that. Let's stay OT (in this case, on topic) please.

May 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,584 of 6,549

How does this even remotely qualify as a recommendation in relation to the unique qualities of the IE800?

Which misses the point anyway. This is not a DAP recommendation thread. Lots of places for that. Let's stay OT please.

@high-fidelity wishes to know which DAP (DX90, AK120 or maybe Calyx M) would match his IE800 best if he is to pick an upgrade for AK100 and DX90 is closest to his current AK100 sound signature, which would most likely match his IE800 (assuming that is what he prefers with his current setup of AK100 > IE800). Since this is a thread on Calyx M which is a DAP, it seems right to give him some suggestion on this based on the sound signature impressions of these 3 DAPs.

May 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,585 of 6,549

I didn't get to try the M with "electronic" music, but I would agree that if one listens to the likes of Autechre / LFO one will probably prefer the AK240, or the AK120. Four Tet, Mount Kimbie, Boards of Canada would (I hope) work with the M. I might be showing my age!
Anyway, I digress. If there are some tracks that can be representative of what you are listening too, and if I have them, I will try to prepare a playlist to test the M further.
Best, K.

I am also curious what exactly is categorized as EDM? Would be good to know so I can load some of such music tracks on my DAPs to bring along for impressions and comparisons.

May 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,586 of 6,549

Best, K.

I would agree that for the type of "spacey on drugs" (lol) electronic music you listed the AK120/240 would be best. But I was talking about Dance music like Trance/House/Drum n Bass/Dubstep, these genres need energy in the sound, which the ZX1 has in spades while AK120 is too smooth to provide the energy imo. Currawongs impressions also reflect this:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. The ZX1 has a lively character to the sound that makes music engaging to listen to, but at the same time this can come across as a bit harsh or aggressive. 
  2. The AK240 takes a step above the other two presenting the music in a way that is more open and effortlessly detailed. It really shows up the slight grain the Sony and the details missing from the HiFiMAN, but loses their sense of engagement at the same time.

I am also curious what exactly is categorized as EDM? Would be good to know so I can load some of such music tracks on my DAPs to bring along for impressions and comparisons.

EDM is short for Electronic Dance Music, stuff they play in Clubs and Rave Festivals, this actually comprises of a whole lot of electronic dance genres, I listed a few above. But when people just say "Electronic" music it could be referring to any of a huge number of electronic genres including stuff like iohk mentioned. Basically If you can dance to it and its electronic, its under EDM umbrella (EDM isn't a genre, its just an umbrella tag consisting of many genres). Just the same as "Electronic" isn't a genre, but an Umbrella name for all genres using electronic foundation.

May 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,587 of 6,549
OK I understand what you are after. It was in the name, wasn't it? :)
All my - what I would call "techno" - records are...vinyl. I would have to make a search, but it would be things like Hardfloor, Neil Landstrumm, Surgeon...I have never been into "goa" etc...I think I would concur with the ZX1, but I am also wondering if one would not be happy with other players, as long as the bass is clinical. If some of view have suggestions, I would be keen to try (so that I can understand how to post impressions).
Personally for drum & bass (labels like Metalheadz (yes I am showing my age again), artists like Photek), dubstep (Skream/Benga...) I wouldn't mind the AKs. Some like it cold, clinical, uber-analytical...
Right now, I feel that having the right headphones for that style of music is more important than the player.
And to stay on topic, I never thought of playing music I held dearly a few years back with the Calyx M. I promise to try, for old times' sake!

May 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2,589 of 6,549
^This. Really been wondering how much control the makers/designer have on the sound sig via firmware.

I highly doubt that Calyx would bomb this one... and the SS could probably be tuned once the final firmware is released. just guessing...

May 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,590 of 6,549
^ Yea your right about everyone having different sound preferences for even the same genre. Also a persons tastes change with time and new experiences. Like several years ago the iRiver H340 sound was my favourite for anything electronic (the old iRiver players actually share a similar house sound as the new AKs from iRiver) But nowadays I find the iRiver/AKs sound slightly too sterile for me, and I like the edgy sound of the ZX1, but some will obviously think the ZX1 is too bright, and prefer the AKs. Soooo whatever floats your boat
biggrin.gif

And those techno artists of yours are perfect for testing as "EDM", love good progressive stuff.

May 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,591 of 6,549
I find Dubstep to be a genre that really exercises the dap specifically at both ends of the spectrum. If you can get a dap that can brilliantly handle that, to my IMO you got yourself a clear winner. The DX90 was pretty good at it.

May 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,593 of 6,549
  I want wide stage, neutral, transparent, clear, detailed, accurate, realistic, natural sounding signature

This is all I want,

That's not asking for too much is it? 
biggrin.gif

I would recommend AK240 which fits all the description to you straightaway if not for the price tag. 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back