$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,372 of 6,549
have they started to ship in Koréa ?  I understood initialy that they will ship locally end of April !

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,373 of 6,549
Yep that's the one... I asked them about it a few weeks ago since they have other Calyx products. The made it available for pre order about a week ago but i was hunting around the net to see if it showed up anywhere else cheaper. It hasn't. $1299 AUD delivered express. I don't think that's too bad to get my hands on quickly. It is probably about $140 AUD more than it could be purchased for later but i really don't care. As long as it sounds good that is. I am hoping it goes beautifully with my new DITA The Answer.

Makes sense I posted it few days ago when D&A announced it on their Facebook wall. Sounds you might be the first international owner posting his impressions. :)

May 1, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,374 of 6,549
Australia and New Zealand distributor available:

"Dear Calyx patrons in Australia and New Zealand:

Calyx M will be distributed by:

https://www.facebook.com/AddictedtoAudio

Addicted To Audio"

depending on SQ reviews I was planning to purchase direct at US$995, I would have been looking at approx US$1150 to land it with shipping and tax
with a middleman this now jumps to approx US$1400 - as i have to pay AUS tax and then NZ tax plus a middlemans margin -  sorry calyx - thats put me off quite a bit

I reserve the right to change my mind however if it turns out to be a SQ monster :)

May 1, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #2,375 of 6,549
I am so unsure whether to order. I am really wondering if the M will be on par with flagship daps like DX100 and HM901, Im worried that it will be more on the level of DX90 and X5 which would be disappointing. Hopefully we get some comparisons soon.

May 1, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,376 of 6,549
When I think about DACs... HiFiMAN and iBasso don't jump out as contenders for equaling the PWD2.  Calyx on the other hand does have some high level DACs.  Not worried about sound quality.  

May 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,377 of 6,549
Kinda hoping this is available in the U.S. no later than middle of May, as I have a friend who could bring me one over to Europe when they visit at the end of May, if I decided to go ahead and buy one!

By the way, who will be distributing / selling the Calyx M in the USA when they do go on sale?

May 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,380 of 6,549
  Hey Sauntere, 

You planning on using the Calyx M with only IEM? or full size headphones as well? Hoping for impressions on how they drive full size headphones.

Only IEMs sorry....but if anybody in Perth wants to meet and try it with something full size that could be arranged.

May 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,381 of 6,549
The specs are more inline with iem use. Efficient portables should also work but not monster loads like orthos.

May 2, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #2,383 of 6,549
Recently posted on their FB page:

"On my mark. Count-down.

The killer DAP is coming."

Everyone's wallets ready?
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #2,384 of 6,549

Finally got my grubby hands on a demo set. The unit is hefty, about the size of samsung S3 and nearly twice as thick.

Initial impressions after going through a few DSD songs. Billy Jean, Hotel California, Piano Man etc. IEMs I borrowed the store's TG334.

Warm sound qualities. Not too warm, but just right. It is like being in a room with wooden flooring and concrete walls vs a surgical clean room. Powerful. I was listening at prob 15% volume on the slider and it was loud enough to cut out room chatter. I'm sure it will have no trouble driving cans. 600ohms cans? Then I'm not so sure.

Build quality is good. The bronze shell and the big screen instills confidence that you don't need to treat it like a baby. UI needs a bit of getting used to. Reactive but it will lag at times for a split second. The ease of use is so much like using an iPod. The layout and options.

It is a good player for audiophiles that love portability. Those with deep pockets and like simple setups should consider.

Launching 3rd week of May in SE Asia.

May 2, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,385 of 6,549
Finally got my grubby hands on a demo set. The unit is hefty, about the size of samsung S3 and nearly twice as thick.

Initial impressions after going through a few DSD songs. Billy Jean, Hotel California, Piano Man etc. IEMs I borrowed the store's TG334.

Warm sound qualities. Not too warm, but just right. It is like being in a room with wooden flooring and concrete walls vs a surgical clean room. Powerful. I was listening at prob 15% volume on the slider and it was loud enough to cut out room chatter. I'm sure it will have no trouble driving cans. 600ohms cans? Then I'm not so sure.

Build quality is good. The bronze shell and the big screen instills confidence that you don't need to treat it like a baby. UI needs a bit of getting used to. Reactive but it will lag at times for a split second. The ease of use is so much like using an iPod. The layout and options.

It is a good player for audiophiles that love portability. Those with deep pockets and like simple setups should consider.

Launching 3rd week of May in SE Asia.

Nice! If you're able to, would you mind doing a quick comparison of the M with other DAP's (esp. AK240) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back