$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #482 of 6,549

So this is possible with the ZX1 but not with the Calyx M? I've been having a closer look at the Calyx M, ZX1 and DX90 lately. 128GB would be totally fine for me. The only thing I am missing on the ZX1 is the missing USB/DAC functionality. :)

You can't have it all. There will never be a perfect dap to satisfy everyone in the world. It is more like, find your priorities, then take the best one for you.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #483 of 6,549

Frankly, Gorilla Glass ain't that great, anyway.     Regardless of what the screen surface is made from, I would be inclined to immediately apply a screen protector, as i don't trust any screen material to resist scratches without protection.

For example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/2400#post_10100841

Indeed. As soon as i get the precise screen measurements (assuming I get the Calxy M), I will be sending those measurements to Screenpatronus. They do a great job - most recently for my DX50. I still want glass underneath.

Maybe... but then again, perhaps the DX90 might have the Calyx-M licked, on the amplification side of the equation, so it may even the two devices out, in terms of overall single-box performance.

Those THD numbers are from the amplifier out (there being no separate line out, nor with those numbers is such really necessary). The single box solution is where I expect the Calyx M to excel. Again, time will tell.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #484 of 6,549

You can't have it all. There will never be a perfect dap to satisfy everyone in the world. It is more like, find your priorities, then take the best one for you.

If that's the thought process everyone's going by we certainly wont. Considering the purpose of this site, why is good audio (and features solely based around that alone) as far as we're going to push?

We've gotten this far; the ZX1, 240 and this among others are leaps and bounds over where things started as far as DAPs are concerned. No sense stopping now 

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #486 of 6,549
I think the perfect DAP for me is HM-901, but I am still in the market to try different new offerings....bcos its fun...however, i cannot justify myself to get Calyx M "yet"
i am thinking i really dont need the big screen nor wifi...and the fact that this does not have a real line out...

Just an opinion

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #487 of 6,549
I think the perfect DAP for me is HM-901, but I am still in the market to try different new offerings....bcos its fun...however, i cannot justify myself to get Calyx M "yet"
i am thinking i really dont need the big screen nor wifi...and the fact that this does not have a real line out...

Just an opinion

This line out question is interesting. Normally I am a fan also. It avoids double amplification on a DAP, allowing me to bypass the inexpensive and poorer quality internal amp with a superior external one. 

However, good home DACs usually have a gain stage. So long as this is clean, it increases the dynamic range for further amplification.

Calyx is suggesting that the M's headphone out, which has an electronic volume control, should be set to 100% to create a true line out of 1.25 Vrms. This is the THD that is produced:

Those are distortion numbers that are better than the so-called true line outs of other DAPs. It leads, I believe, to two conclusions. Firstly, the Calyx M may have the best line out yet on a DAP. Secondly, with 70mW+70mW @ 16Ohm output power, for IEMs there may be no reason to use an external amp at all. It is this second part that has me excited.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #488 of 6,549
Cooperpwc,
Many thanks for your insightful comment. It is good to find out that this DAP measures well for iem.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #490 of 6,549
I was hoping that we would learn more about Calxy M design features from CES2014. (Actually the video was a bit of a wasted opportunity for Calyx.) 

From Facebook:
  1. calyx The slide volume control is not as conventional as you might imagine. This is very special one.
    Like · Reply · December 31, 2013 at 10:48pm

Jon Hanson In what way?
      Like · January 1 at 3:33am

calyx The detail will be disclosed during the CES2014.
      You don't have to worry about such a problem described in Headfi.org. That will never be happened with Calyx M

I am curious about this sliding volume control. Did anyone actually see the Calyx M at CES2014? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #491 of 6,549
This line out question is interesting. Normally I am a fan also. It avoids double amplification on a DAP, allowing me to bypass the inexpensive and poorer quality internal amp with a superior external one. 

However, good home DACs usually have a gain stage. So long as this is clean, it increases the dynamic range for further amplification.
..,, with [COLOR=333333]70mW+70mW @ 16Ohm output power, for IEMs there may be no reason to use an external amp at all. It is this second part that has me excited.[/COLOR]

Hope so, but the 3,3 Ohm output impedance "may" be a problem With certain very low impédance IEM like my 15 ohm JH Roxane ?

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #492 of 6,549
Hope so, but the 3,3 Ohm output impedance "may" be a problem With certain very low impédance IEM like my 15 ohm JH Roxane ?

It's only a theoretical problem for multi-BA IEMs - such as your Roxanne or my ES5. (My favourite IEMs are now all dynamic or single BA so it's not really on my list of concerns.)

You can always throw a Pico Slim into the mix to get <1 output impedance but I doubt that 3.3 ohms will actually skew the frequency curves on a a 16 ohm multi-BA IEMs. That's still a 5:1 ratio. Time will tell....

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #493 of 6,549
For anyone interested.... it may have been linked before but if not it may be of interest.

http://www.calyx.kr/

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #494 of 6,549
I heard from my friend that he had a chance to try the calyx m already, and the SQ is better than AK100; however, still inferior to HM901

anw, it's just from one's point of view, let's wait for other ideas
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #495 of 6,549

bmichels, apparently you have to wait till Krell, DCS, Opus or similar expensive gear makers issue a 10K DAP 4U 
tongue.gif

i personally feel pretty much interested in Calyx M and how it compares to AK120. i was a happy user of RWAK100 and hope to get some improvement still. hopefully we will not have to wait eternally and soon we will hear first impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back