99 cent Amazon Beethoven Bargain
Dec 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
This set is VERY good!

Bach Guild Big Beethoven Box 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOMZHSO/

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 18
Thanks for the link. I'm downloading it now.

With four of the Rise of the Masters series and now this one, my beginner classical music collection is coming along in a hurry! 
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 18
I also bought this.  I am not very familiar with classical music but it is something that I would like to learn about.  And at 99 cents, I'm not really losing much if I don't like it.  Good find.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks, Bigshot. Just bought it. I've been trying to get into classical music and this might be the best way
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 18
Awesome! No idea what's even in there, but what the heck? For $0.99, if I like even one thing it's well worth it.

Though, now that I think about it, I'm hoping this wasn't a mistake. I'd feel really bad if I found out they goofed and I ended up taking advantage of them. On the other hand, it's not like a physical good that had to be stocked, meaning they paid for each unit. If they hadn't offered this whole collection for that price, I would never have bought it. I wasn't in the market for it, so looking at it that way, they didn't lose over $100 on me, they made $0.99.

Still, I sincerely hope it was intentional.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 18
There's a whole series of these bargain priced "box sets". Search Amazon for "Rise of the Masters" and "Bach Guild". Great stuff.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 18
There are some errors in this set. Repeated tracks, missing ones, etc. Not a lot, but it's irritating. Amazon will probably fix it after the holidays, so we can download the corrected version.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Yep, downloaded it all this morning.

One thing I don't like is how the Amazon downloader is now compulsory. Unless I did something wrong, the way the popup read I couldn't download the music without installing their software. It's not like it's a terrible inconvenience--it's a small, unobtrusive, handy program. But I often test Linux distros, sometimes for months at a time, and I didn't see a Linux-compatible version of the software. That means, unless they have a special OS sensor in the page somewhere, I can no longer download music from Amazon while working in a Linux distro. I used to do it quite frequently two summers ago, and I know that the last time I downloaded music using Windows (the end of the past summer), I could skip the Amazon downloader then, too. So this is something new.

I'll be sure to check out the other box deals, BTW.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 18
I've never downloaded anything from Amazon before, but for this price I had to do it. The down loader was a bit annoying, and when I googled it I read that all songs are 256kbps but my files only show ~230kbps. Either way, it's a beautiful set, certainly worth a dollar, and I am enjoying listening to it very much. I like the wild madly dramatic Beethoven pieces and this set has plenty of them. The Bach Guild's actual Bach set is also tempting me at $9. I wish they would just host uncompressed PCM files, otherwise I wouldn't have to even think about it, and they would have 20 my dollars right now instead of just 1.      

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I've never downloaded anything from Amazon before, but for this price I had to do it. The down loader was a bit annoying, and when I googled it I read that all songs are 256kbps but my files only show ~230kbps. Either way, it's a beautiful set, certainly worth a dollar, and I am enjoying listening to it very much. I like the wild madly dramatic Beethoven pieces and this set has plenty of them. The Bach Guild's actual Bach set is also tempting me at $9. I wish they would just host uncompressed PCM files, otherwise I wouldn't have to even think about it, and they would have 20 my dollars right now instead of just 1.      

Are they VBR or ABR? That would account for the "lower" bitrate. Amazon songs aren't all 256kbps. They offer a mix of CBR, VBR, and ABR stuff. From what I can tell, they use LAME for everything. I've gotten some stuff that's a constant 256kbps, but I've also gotten some VBR stuff (can't remember which artists or albums), where they used V0.

I'd check my own download of the Beethoven stuff, but I'm nowhere near the computer it's on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back