----
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 19
Just checked, the only discount on them is with the Sweetwater store card where you get 10 percent off towards another purchase. They have them on ebay as well. The ideal would be a capitol one card when they offer 4 percent additional cash back on eBay and then it extends the warranty for a year too.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 19
1-26-2026

Wanted to share a few observations with you regarding the "new" Senn HD490.
And this is "right out of the box" impressions.

I'll only speak about the sound that is produced using the VELOUR Pads.
The "mix" pads are going to reduce the Treble and Bass, which will elevate the midrange.

Box : Typical of the box you get with any of the recent "HD" series, other than the HD800 or HD820

Traveling Case : Its good.

Build Quality : No frills and no thrills... Frame is all about the Plastic with a metal headband that is padded where it meets your head.

Pads : 2 sets if you pay the extra price. And the softer Velour Pads are very comfy, and the "mix" pads are less so.

Cables : 2 "non-balanced".. if you pay the upgraded price, and both are rubber and possess "jank".

Headband is comfy and the headphones are very light.

Clamping force is slightly less than medium.

Sound Q.. :

So, what is this new Senn gear. ???
I'll tell you... Its a frame that is unique.. its not a remodel of the 560 or the 600 or the 600s or sV2.
Its a new design, and its pretty basic, and not unattractive for plastic.

What does it sound better than?
It sounds better then the recent Sony MDR-MV1. And that is because this Sony, tho advertised as a "mix" and "reference" gear, is actually a "V" shaped, Bass heavy "consumer" tuning.
The HD-490 is not that, but, with the Velour pads, its sonic presentation is very slightly in the direct of a mild "V" shape, and offers substantial low end and is definitely not lacking in treble clarity.
Its very possible that a highly detailed sound is going to be much more sonically governed by your chain.
As this gear is going to ultra reflect everything So, lossy files will sound terrible and a bright headphone/dac is going to sound very bright.
This gear is more or less a straight wire.

What is a one word description of the Sonics found inside the HD-490's Cups?

A.) Crisp and Refined

"What does it sound like"?

In general, it sounds somewhat like a cross between the HD600 and the HD 598, and it leans more in the direction of a ultra refined HD598 regarding its "dynamic clarity" overall presentation.

Treble : Decisive. There is a mild bump right where the cymbals like to play that isn't offensive.

MIdrange : Neutral in the middle and the Upper Mids are not veiled at all.

Lower Mids : Take a back seat to the Treble and the upper mids.

Bass : Its substantial and deep. Its somewhat like a Philips Fidelio X2, regarding the size of the bass, but its tighter and much more accurate.

Soundstage : Its good... with excellent side to side perspective.

Instrument Separation : Outstanding.

Overall Resolution : Impressive.

Vocal Clarity... Dynamic Presentation... Detail Retrieval : ALL Very Good.

So what we have here is a comfy Sennheiser that offers a dynamic and crisp presentation with good soundstage and ample low end.
Tonality is good. But because the leading edge of the sound is so responsive, the headphones definitely exist as a : "all about the details, moreso than a relax and enjoy the sound type of listening gear.
This gear sounds as if its designed to seriously REVEAL your music, (as marketed)... so, it is very surgical regarding the way it presents its sonic information, while still being an enjoyable listen.
I just compared it to the Susvara, and it didnt fall down.
=--

-
DSC01049.JPGDSC01050.JPGDSC01051.JPG

This is pretty much in line w what I heard tonight from the 490. Very impressed w this set so far.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 19
Its an impressive Sennheiser gear.
It has resolution and clarity that is pretty much on par with the 800S.
This is a bold statement and doesn't add up to my listening experience with the HD490 Pro.
But maybe you're right and Sennheiser will soon stop selling HD800s because now noone wants them anymore:o2smile:

Here is a hype free short review, taken from the other Thread. in added some things.

"Here are some listening impressions after 9 Hours with the hd490 pro´s on a Cayin HA-6A (Tube Amp) + R28

Pad Set 1 / fluffy soft pads

- The overall sound is very smooth cross the entire frequency range but for my taste it is a little flat sounding.
- Bass goes deep with some rumble, mid bass is the same like the HD600 i would say.
- Mids are slightly rerecessed but not thin sounding. Timbre is slightly better on the HD600 and more real
- Highs are smooth, slightly recessed, not sparkly and imho not the star of the show - because of this the HD600 sounds often more dynamic from the upper mids through the highs with more rrroaaarr and resolution to my ears, although the resolution capabilities and clarity on the 490 is better.
- Soundstage with is very good for a Sennheiser and has some depth too, but not breathtaking.
- layering and separation is good

Pad Set 2

- sound becomes more analytical, the feel of warmth and smoothness for the most part is gone
- Upper mids and highs are more forward, resolution stays the same. - this can become fatiguing after a while
- Soundstage slighly improves but not by much
- Layering and separation is very good.

Negatives:
-Especially when changing the earpads, the plasticky earcups are very very!! cheap made and you're afraid that something will break
-the cable 6.3mm adapter - you turn it by only 20 degrees and it looses contact.
For my ears and from a clarity, soundstage and technical point view, the HD490 Pro is the superior HP in comparison with the HD600
BUT, because of it´s analytical and flat nature, the HD490 can´t give me those goosebumps and adrenalin rushes like the HD600 can do.

Maybe it´s all on my personal taste, because i don´t like the 660S/II, because of this wonky crossing from the mids in to the highs, and the HD650 because
of the laid back and muddy nature.

The HD800S, while technical very impressive, but for me this HP sounded too steril and couldn´t deliver note weight and real impact.
It was fun for some days or maybe weeks and after the honeymoon phase was over, it bored the crap out of me.
Maybe sometime next days i will give the HD490 a shot on a SS amp paired with a D/S DAC, but i hope it will not transform into a HD800S:L3000:

So the final question is, will the HD 490pro replace my HD600?

No, til today the HD600 gives me something not many other headphones can - but I'll keep the 490 for his little magic, mostly for classic and orchestral music and for gaming i will stay with my beloved AKG 712."

Cheers :beerchug:

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 19
embarrassing forum behavior. you remind me of myself at age 8

I appreciate your opinion..

Now let me share this with you....so that you might make an attempt to actually comprehend the situation.

The spammer has previously posted their own Review of this same gear.
They decided to post their review, on my Thread, as well.
I would never do that, because im not rude, and im not ignorant, and im also not that desperate for attention.
Are you?
So, what they did, works for you, but not for me.
I asked them to remove it, and they declined.
So, i removed my review, and now you are welcome to read theirs... 2x... Here on my Thread and on theirs.
Enjoy it, @toni2068

- FB1

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 19

Now let me share this with you....so that you might make an attempt to actually comprehend the situation.

I would never do that, because im not rude, and im not ignorant, and im also not that desperate for attention.
Are you?
So, i removed my review, and now you are welcome to read theirs... 2x... Here on my Thread and on theirs.
Enjoy it, @toni2068

- FB1

You posted on a public forum, it isn't "your thread" nor are you the gatekeeper. As long as they don't violate the site TOS, people are going to respond and may have different opinions. BTW, the only post in this thread with personal insults is yours.

If you weren't looking for attention, why create a separate thread? And post in bold text (for those that didn't see the post prior to "I'm taking my ball and going home", it was entirely in a large bold font.).

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Did you notice that i didn't need to post my review on "that other HD490" Thread?
Perhaps you can delete your "cut and past" post, and stay where you were, for the obvious reason?

Are you?
Enjoy it, @toni2068

- FB1
^ Quoted in case you decide to delete.

@bfreedma is on point.

“See the Spammer's review.... for details....= Im out.”
^ At first I thought you were referring to yourself as the spammer since you regularly create your own threads for headphones that already have their own dedicated threads and you post in big bold page-filling letters. I would call your behavior “rude and desperate for attention”.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Terms of Service ( yeah the writing at bottom of page, click on it. ) > Posting Etiquette > 7. Do Not Cross Post.

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 19
Terms of Service ( yeah the writing at bottom of page, click on it. ) > Posting Etiquette > 7. Do Not Cross Post.
Youre not wrong, but the rest of bfreedma’s post is applicable. ToS is arbitrarily enforced and their to serve admins needs when convenient. If cross-posting is disallowed or condemned for spam reasons then the same logic should be applied to fullbright’s threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back