96 kHz 24bit integer output via USB to Burson HA-160d on latest OS X not working [SOLVED]
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pixelgrunt

New Head-Fier
Greetings all, first, thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum in any category. I've been a long time lurker, and I've learned much in my time here.

I searched for a similar problem to mine with no avail, hence the new thread. As the subject indicates, I can't get 96 kHz/24-bit integer output over USB to my Burson HA-160d through iTunes using the Audio MIDI Setup app to effect the change. OS X is up to date, and that means OS X v.10.7.2 and iTunes v.10.5.2 (64-bit). I'm using a 27" iMac that's less than two years old- 2.93 GHz i7 with 12 GB RAM.

I can get 96 kHz @ 16-bit integer to work, but I'm going for the gold. The Burson website indicates that the HA-160d DAC can handle 96/24, but I get nothing. I don't have another DAC to try, so I can't test to see if it's the OS or the Burson. I do have Boot Camp installed with Windows 7 (that I rarely use), maybe it's time to give that a try, but I was hoping that someone else here may be able to shed some light on the problem. I know there are quite a few folks here who also own this Burson, and I'm hoping that some of them also use iTunes on a Mac and have tried 96/24. Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

P i x e l

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 17
Don't quote me on this because it's been a month since I was researching the HA-160D, but I'm pretty sure that while the chip does do 24/96, Burson decided to only have the chip do 16/44, with no resampling option. I think I read that in a review.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Don't quote me on this because it's been a month since I was researching the HA-160D, but I'm pretty sure that while the chip does do 24/96, Burson decided to only have the chip do 16/44, with no resampling option. I think I read that in a review.

Not true. Initially, they had a few units iwth only 16/44 chip and all units now come with 24/96 working fine.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the help. So... when was the first month? I bought mine in August 2011. I read the 6Moons review from November of 2010, surely mine can't be one of the early versions, right?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelgrunt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 . . . I can't get 96 kHz/24-bit integer output over USB to my Burson HA-160d through iTunes using the Audio MIDI Setup app to effect the change. OS X is up to date, and that means OS X v.10.7.2 and iTunes v.10.5.2 (64-bit).

Pretty sure that Apple killed integer mode in Lion. Surprised that it seems to be working at all, but maybe I'm misinformed or confused regarding the details.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 17
Pretty sure that Apple killed integer mode in Lion. Surprised that it seems to be working at all, but maybe I'm misinformed or confused regarding the details.

I just tested it on my MacBook Pro. 96,000 Hz / 24 bit integer output works fine in Lion through the headphone port.

To the OP: First, try a different USB port to rule that out as the cause. If that doesn't work, test your headphone port to see if 96/24 works. If it does, the culprit is likely the sound card. If it doesn't work with the headphone port, troubleshooting the OS is in order.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 17
There are tools like Thesycon USB Descriptor Dumper, it will tell you exactly what the supported bit depth and sample rates of your USB DAC are.
It is Win so you can try using bootcamp or find a likewise program for OSX (USB prober?)

This has nothing to do with “integer mode”.
A couple of media players used this to bypass the OSX mixer.
Apple closed this option in Lion
iTunes never used it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've engaged the folks at Burson while investigating this problem. Here is what I wrote in my latest email:

[size=medium] -----------------------------------[/size]

[size=medium] I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I have made the settings on my iMac as close to those shown in the screen shots [you provided,] and the behavior is still the same. I tested on a MacBook Air, also running OS X 10.7.2, and experienced the same results. The screen shots that you sent are from an earlier version of OS X. Are you aware of anyone using a HA-160d on OS X v.10.7.2?[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I found a valuable clue when I checked the kernel.log after trying to play a 88.2 kHz song from iTunes after making these Audio MIDI Setup changes, and found the following line repeated several times:[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]
Code:
 Jan 18 23:21:37 myimac kernel[0]: USBF: 426104. 33 There is not enough USB isochronous bandwidth to allow the device "Burson Audio USB DAC " at location 0xfa130000 to function in its current configuration (requested 582 bytes for endpoint 0x3 )
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The HA-160d is on it's very own USB bus. A single cable runs from the rear of the Burson to one of the [precious few] USB ports on my iMac. It was also the only device on the chain when testing with the MacBook Air. In fact, it was the only USB device connected to the laptop at all.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I Googled "osx There is not enough USB isochronous bandwidth to allow the device" and saw a few results from others with similar problems using competing DACs. I'll confess, I wasn't using the nifty blue USB cable that was supplied in the box with my Burson, as it wasn't quite long enough to reach where I really wanted to set the amp on my desk. I did manage to find it in my basement just now and I tested again for thoroughness.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Same error.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I tried a different USB port on the back of my iMac- same error again.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I'm a computer sysadmin by trade, so I'm familiar with basic troubleshooting. I think I covered most of the bases here (different cables, different ports, different computer).[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Any suggestions? Thanks again.[/size]
[size=medium] -----------------------------------[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Is anyone here using a 96/24 DAC on OS X Lion (10.7) successfully?[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Jaywalk3r- Do you mean an optical connection from the headphone port? Unfortunately, my Burson only supports USB and coaxial.[/size]
[size=medium] Roseval- I haven't messed with Apple's USB developer tools, I'm only going by the tech specs on the Burson web site. It still says that the DAC supports 24/96 input.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I'll pass along anything from Burson as I receive it.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thanks again all![/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 17
I meant testing to see if 24/96 output worked using headphones connected to the headphone port (analog connection).

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 17
I am using a Mac Pro (OS X, v10.7.2) and a Schiit Bifrost over USB. Pure Music claims that, with 24/192 tracks, it is indeed communicating at 24/192 with the Bifrost. However, the Bifrost has no indicator light (or display screen) to confirm this, nor does it show what it is doing. Not the definitive proof you are probably looking for . . .

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 17
OIC nao.

That would eliminate the USB chain and DAC as potential problems. Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 17
OK, some help from the very helpful staff at Burson got me up and running. The trick is to set 24/96 for output, but 16/96 for input. It seems that OS X reserves the bandwidth on the UBS chain for input, even though the DAC will never use it. I'm not sure why it matters what is in the input (why not make it even lower still?), but it's working for me and I'm not in the mood for experimenting further. It's working now, and I'm enjoying it.

Good enough for me.

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 17
I just had the exact same problem on OSX Lion, with 16/96 working, but not 24/96 (no sound and freezing the applications), and switching the input settings to a lower settings fixed it for me too, so thank you very much for sharing this information :)

To people not being abe to use the Audio Midi setup app because it gets frozen, you just need to Force Quit it, restart it, switch the inputs settings, then relaunch iTunes (no need to reboot).

By the way, does any one know of a way to automate the switching between 44.1/48/96 Khz modes depending on the kind of source you are listening to ? I often switch between listening to music in 44.1/16 in itunes and then watching a movie or IPTV with VLC that is encoded in 48 Khz, and hate having to manually change the settings through the Audio Midi setup window, each time. or maybe a script or command line that could be put in the dock to fast switch to 44 or 48 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back