96 hours...
Jun 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #61 of 79
The stock market is ruining my life right now.  I bought a packet of cigarettes today, having been clear of it for 6 months.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #62 of 79
I quit cigarettes in 1978. Only New Year resolution I ever really kept. I have the occasional (very rare) cigar, but that's it. I never really built up a tolerance to nicotine, anyway, and a strong cigar will still make me somewhat ill. (Gotta watch those Monte Cristos, they'll do a number on you.)

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #63 of 79
:) Yeah, I know, when I made this thread, I thought I'd periodically update my status.  Glad to see a bunch of other people sticking to it.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to post #54, but I messed it up.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #64 of 79
I am at just over 50 hours now..of course i only started smoking cigs on the regular only 7 months ago..but damn who knew quitting would be this tough so early in the game. 
angry_face.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #65 of 79
I quit 15 years ago. Smoked 2 packs per day. Here's to my health.
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #66 of 79

Quote:
I am at just over 50 hours now..of course i only started smoking cigs on the regular only 7 months ago..but damn who knew quitting would be this tough so early in the game. 
angry_face.gif

Good luck! Just remember, it's the first week, really the first five days that are the worst. You may have some residual physical cravings from time to time for the next 2-3 months, and psychological cravings potentially for the rest of your life...but if you can make it through the first week you can quit. That truly is the hardest part.

You're getting there. If you can maybe have a spouse or friend keep you company so you're not tempted to cheat. You truly want to focus on getting through those first few days.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #69 of 79

Quote:
It sucks but you can do it. I've done it a couple of times.
tongue.gif

haha..i know the last two times i lasted only 2 weeks and 9 days respectively..but this time I plan to stay the course. Cold turkey..no smoking hookah even which is what i think got me smoking cigs in the first place. Had never smoked them till only last year. 
redface.gif
  Stupid of me..but..its time to make some amends.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #70 of 79
Never smoked cigarettes. Congrats to all that quit!

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #71 of 79
Past 120 hours now, though the stressful days and events aren't making it any easier...guess its time for me to get a short walk in to shake it off and some coffee :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #72 of 79
Maybe try some hard candy or gum when a craving hits? It might help with the psychological aspect if you have something in your mouth at least. Keep up the good work!

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #74 of 79
All of my past attempts at quitting had been pretty short lived. 

In the past seven years or so, the longest I've been without a smoke has probably been three or four days.

Congratulations to those who quit as you are stronger folk than I!

P.S. To all those who don't quit, please remember to keep that smoke away from your children, pets and for the love of god, keep it away from those 'phones!

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #75 of 79
Hey Landis. I quit by making rules for myself that would taper off my smoking. I started by making  simple rules that I could follow, like no smokes before noon. Next I added more limitations on what I would let myself do once I had the first one cleared. What I was trying to do was eliminate some of the completely habitual cigarettes the knee jerk must smoke at this precise time ones. Once I was able to control some of the habitual smoking I knew I could continue to cut back.

This worked for me rather than the cold turkey method because if I fell off the wagon everything wasn't lost by having one cigarette. It took a while but it got to be where I was only having the occasional smoke that I really wanted.  In an odd way I ended up enjoying more of the cigarettes that I did smoke because they were not just completely out of habit. I did continue to taper off my intake and one day and over a few months I kind of I just stopped. The combination of the gradual reduction of nicotine with slowly breaking my own habitual smoking times really did work for me. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back