9/30/06 - Chicago Mini Meet
Oct 1, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 29
Going around left to Right at the table, that's me with the Head-Fi sweatshirt in the main meal picture, with Dimitri next to me, then Billy, then Grace, then John and Ray took the picture.

There was a porkloin roast, a beef roast, rack of lamb, a beef stoganoff, broiled chicken, mastocolli, wild rice with chickpeas, white rice, several salads including a garlic and potatoe sauce. In addition to coffee and tea, the second round had cheese cake, dessert breads, cookies, macadamia nuts, sliced fruits and a few other items.

It was all very delicious.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 29
DSC02945.jpg

I spy an Original CD2008 hiding in the corner.
biggrin.gif

Did anyone get a chance to audition it?

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
There was a porkloin roast, a beef roast, rack of lamb, a beef stoganoff, broiled chicken, mastocolli, wild rice with chickpeas, white rice, several salads including a garlic and potatoe sauce. In addition to coffee and tea, the second round had cheese cake, dessert breads, cookies, macadamia nuts, sliced fruits and a few other items.

Dang! I would have flown in just for the meal!

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Dang! I would have flown in just for the meal!

Come on James, I need some one to help me with the left over food, there were 2 more full birds that have not been touched, still were in the oven, & a forgotten yogurt salad, in the fridge, that was never placed on the table, I have a plan for the next 2 weeks as to what to eat, may be I will finish it all by then. To bad we did not have all those who promised to be here for this mini meet. They just did not show up or call.
Ray samuels

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 29
Ray, the way your wife cooks for guests reminds me how my grandmother use to prepare meals as if she was going to feed a small army.
biggrin.gif

Beautiful equipment and good looking food too… everyone must have had a great time.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
It was all very delicious.

ah c'mon! You call that an impression?? More details, please!
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and what's my Green Hornet doing there?

This comment made me realize the obvious color choice I will make when it's time to order one of those bad boys.

greenhornet.JPG

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
This comment made me realize the obvious color choice I will make when it's time to order one of those bad boys.

greenhornet.JPG

Bruce Lee colour - it kicks all of the other colour's asses.
biggrin.gif

It looks like a fun time was had by all. Those Cary amps are gigantic..

So how many pounds did you guys gain each due to the dinner?
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #24 of 29
With a vinyl setup like that, why don't you have more records? Unless they are stashed in the attic, the only records I see are sitting behind Billy
confused.gif

Looks like some good food was at the meet, I'm sure you all enjoyed it
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
ah c'mon! You call that an impression?? More details, please!
tongue.gif

To be honest, it left me speechless when I walked into the other room and saw what Grace and Ray had put together.

However, on the musical side, all the equipment just syngerized together for some of the best musical enjoyment I've experienced in awhile. I actually had gone up to especially listen to the B-52 but totally forgot to evaluate the B-52 as the whole system was more than the sum of the parts. While this was a 2 channel system, at times the spaciousness made you think there were more than 2 channels. And this was with vinyl.

The large Cary's are awesome. Each weighing in at about 120 lbs. It took two people to carry each one upstairs to Ray's listening room. I am glad it wasn't me.

In one of the pictures, you see a pair of Sony R10s on the floor. I had a chance to listen to these through the B-52 during a brief intermission and I see why people love them. This combination seemed to be truly a great match. The HD-600 with Ray's homemade balanced military cable were not too shabby either. I wish I could talked Ray into making me one of those balanced cables.

I still need to decide on upgrading to the B-52. I know Billy has decided, which is why he has already reserved number 0001.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
DSC02945.jpg

I spy an Original CD2008 hiding in the corner.
biggrin.gif

Did anyone get a chance to audition it?

We did a little A/B comparison using the Original as the source. However, it is a modded Original. Ray spent some time modding, which significantly improved its presentation. But the appearance of the unit is amazing when you consider the price point. I am not sure what it would cost to upgrade the inside to the quality of the outside but I am sure it would increase the cost.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 29
I was actually referring to the food (more detailed impressions of) but that's OK
biggrin.gif
B-52 is good. It's pretty cool of Ray's family to host the meet.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I was actually referring to the food (more detailed impressions of) but that's OK
biggrin.gif
B-52 is good. It's pretty cool of Ray's family to host the meet.

Actually, it was the food that left me speechless. It was like a Thanksgiving buffet with the selection Grace provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back