~$8K computer source?
Apr 11, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #76 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
There are actually a lot of good sugestions burried in this tread between the crap anyway. $8000 is a lot of money and if this is your budget for a computer as source then that leaves your choices open to a LOT of DACs many of which we don't have experience with. I've already recomended looking at Teac Esoteric DACs. There's someone on this board who has one, Stereophile loves them, and I heard one at my local hifi shop and said Daimn I wish I had the money.

I had the Esoteric D-70 DAC and sold it to a fllow board member. Great DAC with typical Esoteric build and flawless sound. The D-70, however, goes for $7,500 new and about $4K used. It is discontinued. The new Esoteric DAC, the D-03 costs around $12K.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #77 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I almost bought the mass storage case a couple years ago but with shipping and customs fee it gets almost double the price if you live outside USA.
I have all harddrives inside closet and it's free! I have had many configurations over the years:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
...and my current setup:

568_power.plants.upside.down.3.harddrives.JPG

568_little.of.all.JPG

Doesn't look pretty but it's quiet.
icon10.gif

Good God patrick, déjà-vu here. I used to have the zalman reserator as well, with an antec sonata case, but I switched back to fan cooling for my cpu, and it's just as quiet with a nicely dampened case. (well almost anyways)

I never got to like that big blue tower.

Anyways, glad to hear that shipping and customs make those enclosures a lot more expensive...otherwise I might've bought one alright.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #80 of 118
Right. Starting to do some research right now. After a lot of experimentation on this last year I think I found my perfect headphone setup (Not the Big O, BTW) so now it is time for a source upgrade.

I wanted to use a computer setup for a lot of reasons, being convenience one of the most important ones.

However almost all computer setups are flawed by design. This is due to the use of S/PDIF or AES/EBU interface. Instead of having a separate clock signal, the clock signal is reconstructed from the digital data stream getting jitter on the process.

This flaw is affecting typical two boxes high-end systems too. The approach followed there is to throw a lot of money on great transports, interconnects and world clocks in order to mitigate this issue as much as it can be done. Well, until now, when propietary links starting to appear.

So to have a Meitner connected to a laptop is not the solution. Not even by using an external clock like the Apogee Big Ben, although that would make a big difference indeed.

BTW, Meitner is taking the right approach about this issue. Their last DAC and Transport (CDSD-DCC2/6) can overcome the S/PDIF issue as they let you send an independent clock signal. Every reviewer/owner say that the difference between connecting the boxes this way instead of conventional S/PDIF is truly remarkable.

Even jitter-free DACs like DAC1, MiniDAC (and for what I read Lavry or even Dodson which might have the best way to deal with it although I won't talk about it. Details on their website) are quite susceptible to changes on transport on a revealing system, making some combinations almost unlistenables in quite unforgiving systems.

I was aware of a possible solution (I2S, more to come later) but there was no high-end DACs offering it so I almost gave up on the idea of computer audio, going instead for a conventional, single box player. Perhaps Esoteric X-01 Limited or Ayre C-5xe (I only care about stereo audio). Space is a big issue so no multi-box setups.

Then I realized that the last version of Zanden 5000 DAC (the Signature one) has I2S input!!!
eek.gif

I2S is the native interface for most DACs. Much better than S/PDIF as it has a separate clock signal. The guys at EmpiricalAudio have a USB-I2S adaptor. The only problem is there was no high-end DACs with I2S input (the best ones being Northstar and Perpetual Technologies, which seem to be great for the money, though). Well, not until now. Now we have the Zanden 5000 Signature.

Still, I need to check this a bit more. It seems like Zanden is implementing I2S on a not trully conventional way. It was designed for the 2000 Transport -> 5000 DAC link in a similar way of the EMM's approach. Perhaps the signaling is the same but the jack different. I need to contact Zanden and EmpiricalAudio in order to find out. Hopefully it will be possible to get an USB-I2S adaptor from EmpiricalAudio that works with the Zanden 5000 Signature.

So it seems like finally we might be able to get a high-end computer setup:
Computer -> USB-I2S Adaptor -> Zanden 5000 Signature. This still has to be confirmed but it might be possible indeed.

The only problem is that the Zanden Signature is something aroud $16K (Hey, just double! Welcome to Head-fi!). The offers from Northstar and Perpetual Technologies are around $1K-2K and seem to be great for the price through I2S. Unfortunately I'm not aware of something in between (yet!).

Hopefully this will be the way I'm heading at. As long as it is possible, of course. Still, it might be wise to wait a little more as digital gear is evolving a lot lately and I expect new DACs with I2S inputs in the near future (perhaps a bit of wishful thinking here).

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #82 of 118
Still reading, still considering. Thanks for all the additional posts not to do with power
tongue.gif

With the source change, I will be moving the newly acquired Mark Levinson integrated and the Wilson Benesch Discovery into the home office. The final configuration will see the Mu-Fi A308 / Arcs in the bedroom and something inbetween the A308 / Arc and the 383 / Discovery in the living room.

Due to my actual listening patterns, as I've outlined I think I would like my computer-based system to be 'the best' in the house. I'm not yet sure in what order / configuration a headphone amp and the 383 will be wired to the source, it would depend on what the source would be.

Just keeping you updated with my intentions.

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #85 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
It seems like Zanden is implementing I2S on a not trully conventional way. It was designed for the 2000 Transport -> 5000 DAC link in a similar way of the EMM's approach. Perhaps the signaling is the same but the jack different.

AFAIR, if connected via the 3 recommended ST optical fiber cables the CDSD does the upsampling and sends DSD to the DCC2 or DAC6e.

Cheers

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #86 of 118
Ok, I'm a little late to the thread. I don't want to argue about power supplies or usb vs spdif, or upsampling vs nonos. I'm hesitant to talk up pieces of gear because everyone's tastes are so different. But one of the things that first caught my attention about the TwinDac Plus, was someone selling off his dcs stack because he liked the TwinDac so much more. If you do a google search for TwinDac and dcs, you'll find a guy named Takman who writes about his findings on Bert's Oris forum and AA.

It accepts USB and spdif, can run off of batteries (power issues are a thing of the past) and sounds like music...not hi-fi.
It's the first digital I've ever owned where I wasn't thinking about upgrading a month later!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me privately.
Steve

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by triodesteve
Ok, I'm a little late to the thread. I don't want to argue about power supplies or usb vs spdif, or upsampling vs nonos. I'm hesitant to talk up pieces of gear because everyone's tastes are so different. But one of the things that first caught my attention about the TwinDac Plus, was someone selling off his dcs stack because he liked the TwinDac so much more. If you do a google search for TwinDac and dcs, you'll find a guy named Takman who writes about his findings on Bert's Oris forum and AA.

It accepts USB and spdif, can run off of batteries (power issues are a thing of the past) and sounds like music...not hi-fi.
It's the first digital I've ever owned where I wasn't thinking about upgrading a month later!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me privately.
Steve

How much is it? I can't find a price anywhere, or it's actual site.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #90 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
It seems like Zanden is implementing I2S on a not trully conventional way. It was designed for the 2000 Transport -> 5000 DAC link in a similar way of the EMM's approach. Perhaps the signaling is the same but the jack different

AFAIR, if connected via the 3 recommended ST optical fiber cables the CDSD does the upsampling and sends DSD to the DCC2 or DAC6e.

Cheers

Yes Kurt, sorry if I was ambiguos there. When I said "in a similar way of the EMM's approach" I meant using his own link instead of a conventional, single S/PDIF link.

However, when I was saying "Perhaps the signaling is the same but the jack different" I was talking only about the I2S interface on the Zanden compared with a normal I2S one.

Zanden 2000 doesn't perform upsampling at all and sends PCM to the 5000. The signaling between Zanden and EMM link would be different indeed.

Cheers,

Javier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back