~$8K computer source?
Mar 22, 2006 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not 100% happy with some elements of my computer audio set-up. I have problems with my DAC (Reimyo DAP-777) and I actually tend to leave it off the Fireface more than I have it on. I bought it blind off a 6moons review, but this was before I did more lookups of their reviews and realised that they let "new toy fever" overcome any sense of objectivity they have and blow their wad over everything that doesn't totally suck.

My main system is going to be replaced by something more in line with the actual use it gets (i.e. minimal), and I want to put a bigger emphasis on the computer-based set-up in the home office where I actually do more listening. The main system will end up being less overkill (current plan is for a single-box player and a Levinson 383, keeping the current speakers), and I want to 'grade up' the computer system for a slightly more headphone than speaker use, but still pretty evenly balanced between the two.

I am obviously going to do my own research after your pointers, but I'd like to see what you guys would do given an $8K budget. That is purely source... soundcard/DAC, or soundcard only.

Edit: umm... it might be a tad off topic. If a mod thinks it's inappropriate, please move it to the computer forum.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 118
I think with that budget you can try most of them, although it may be tiring in the end
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 118
the wavelength audio usb dacs range from 1750 to nearly 20K, i'm sure you could find something to your liking.

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 118
Bangraman>What kind of problems are you experiencing with the reimyo?

You have a DCS system as a main source don;t you? How about another DCS dac for your computer setup?

Your budget pretty much allows you to try anything. Mbl's, Emm labs, Burmesters etc.

Have you tried the discussion forums on Audiogon? They would probably have more experience of the DACs at your price level.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 118
For that kind of budget, I would personally demand a few things at a minimum.

USB to I2S connection directly to DAC chips. This will right away narrow down the search to precious few: DDDac USB Mk II, Empirical Audio USB/I2S gear, and probably Wavelength Audio.

I feel PCI connection is a great, superior alternative to spdif, but the choices there are quite limited. The most I can think of is the Lynx card, which I have, but for that kind of budget, I would look to mod the Lynx out a little bit, mainly changing out the stock opamps and caps.

The $10K plus VRS system uses the modded Lynx card, which I believe uses Electraprint transformers in the output stage. VRS sounds very nice, but you have to buy the whole system as a package.

Whatever you do, I would NOT use a soundcard's spdif output as the source. I far prefer USB, even if it's USB to spdif, over my Lynx card's well-regarded spdif output.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Whatever you do, I would NOT use a soundcard's spdif output as the source. I far prefer USB, even if it's USB to spdif, over my Lynx card's well-regarded spdif output.

Why? In the end USB converts to SPDIF anyway...

You're severly limiting your options if you're only looking at USB solutions. I don't think theres anything wrong with a high end PCI sound card + external DAC.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Why? In the end USB converts to SPDIF anyway...

You're severly limiting your options if you're only looking at USB solutions. I don't think theres anything wrong with a high end PCI sound card + external DAC.

Absolutely. There's nothing "wrong" with high end PCI sound card+ ext DAC, which can sound great.

It's just that at this budget level, bypassing spdif and going direct I2S to DAC is well worth the effort for that last ~10% of beautiful music. I already use my Audio PC as my main source, and if my budget was $8K, NO question, I will pursue some sort of USB to direct I2S connection.

Yes, I believe spdif is evil. However, because it's an intrinsically flawed interface, Implementation is everything. Even though my Lynx card has great spdif output, using transformers, with great spec's, etc, to my ears, it does not hold a candle to my Empirical Audio USB to spdif conveter, run from DIY battery PS (very crucial).

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 118
How about running a modded squeezebox? I'm also a fan of running it outside the computer. The only thing about USB to SPDIF convertor is that it's still connected to the computer no? I'm starting to not like anything attached to the computer.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
How about running a modded squeezebox? I'm also a fan of running it outside the computer. The only thing about USB to SPDIF convertor is that it's still connected to the computer no? I'm starting to not like anything attached to the computer.

But it's not powered over usb, so it's not like it has to use the computer's power source. I dunno if the computer can really affect usb in any way, since it's as data, not audio (iirc).

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 118
Can you guess what I'm going to say
smily_headphones1.gif
?

$8K can get you a lot. You might not even have to spend that much.

Common sense stuff. Start small. Audition stuff that you can AxB compare, and return if it doesn't make the grade. See what works for you / what makes a difference / improvement.

Have a look what the squeezebox could do for you.

You might be considering a chain like

storage->computer->SB->DAC->AMP->HF

You can work on silencing the computer, or better yet, put it somewhere where you can't hear it - a very cost effective option.

The SB can be neworked to you music server, wired or wireless.

SB could then feed a DAC of your choice.

You can go the SB modding route if you want.

Researching, selecting and auditioning components is half the fun, right?

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 118
Try to borrow or rent these and keep the one you like better:

- Lavry DA-924
- Weiss DAC-1
- Prism DA-2

You should be happy with one of these top class pro DAC.
I gave up about the 'usual audiophile' source many years ago...way overpriced IMO.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I am obviously going to do my own research after your pointers, but I'd like to see what you guys would do given an $8K budget. That is purely source... soundcard/DAC, or soundcard only.

Do I understand correctly that you do not want be to tell you to get yourself a new intel Mac mini (1GB RAM), at least two MacMini M9 - DX enclosures with HDDs sized to your needs, +a 20" cinema display. In Germany this runs you about €2,25K with 500GB drives but things tend to be cheaper in the US, so you'll end up around $2,3K. Still $5,7K left for the DAC of your choice to be hooked up via optical or USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back