~$850 DACS (leaning Audio-GD but considering others)
Mar 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bobsmith

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am thinking about getting a nice DAC for my setup and was looking for some ideas. I am trying to shoot for a maximum of around $850, though a little this way or that is not a big deal. Here is my setup currently:

Auzentech X-Prelude -> Woo Audio 2 -> HD650

I would like to run coax from the X-Prelude to the DAC. In that regard, I am not interested in optical or USB inputs. I am also not interested in balanced outputs as the Woo2 is not balanced. Since I have a very nice headphone amp already, I would rather that the DAC not include an amp (no point in paying for a feature I will never use). I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical, rock/pop, opera, jazz, etc.., pretty much everything.

Here is my list so far to consider, though other ideas are always welcome:

1) Audio-GD DAC-3DV (~$835)
2) Audio-GD Reference three (~$700 once released)
3) MHDT Havana (~$875)
4) Stello DA100 (~$695 or ~$995 for signature version)

I know there is tons of stuff out there written about the Havana and the Stello, so I do not want to bother people asking for advice that I can just find by searching.

However, I am not able to find much out there about the Audio-GD stuff. The little that is out there appears to suggest that the Audio-GD gear is very good. I think I am leaning towards Audio-GD, because I like the fact that their equipment seems to be very sturdy (based on reviews) and built with a lot of craftsmanship. I also find the pics of the interior of their DACs to be the most impressive I have seen. However, I am not really sure how their stuff competes with the more common gear such as the Havana or Stello. Anyone have any thoughts?

Between the two Audio-GD DACs, it is a bit challenging to figure out what the differences are. From what I gather, the Reference Three will use 2 dac chips instead of 4, but has CAST (while the 3DV does not). Also, the 3DV is in a rather large and impressive enclosure, apparently weighing about 15kg. The only other thing is that I have the impression that the Reference Three is intended to be more "neutral" while the 3DV is intended to be more "musical" (whatever that means). Other than that I am really not sure of the differences between those two, and so would appreciate any thoughts.

Any advice or ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 13
It does look good on paper. And the technical write up seems to make sense even to a noob like me. Multiple PMC1704 DAC, discrete output (even CAST), well regulated, dedicated power supply for digital and analog stages, the list goes on. Plus the variety of configurations with each model is a tweaker's dream.

Will it sound as good as it promises though? How does it actually compare to known brands at different price points? Is it built to last? I would like for all of this to be true so i can jump on it too but until the reviews from the first owners come out, its very difficult for me to trust in a relatively new company that basically puts a lot of good ingredients together in a rather simple (DIYish) box. Wish it had a display at the front too.

My 2 cents.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I am in the same boat...

Audio-gd Reference One - I bought the C-2C amp and LOVE IT! I am just not sure about the PCM1704 and if it accepts 16bit sources (the specs only mention 20 and 24bit sources). Also, I wish it had a sample rate indicator. Option to go NOS via dip switches is very interesting!

Neko Audio D100 - New company, but everything else looks awesome. Again, wish it had a sample rate indicator for the kind of money they are charging.

LD DAC_1 - Wish it ran dual mono Wolfson DACs. Everything else looks good. Would like to know if it really is a NOS unit like advertised and would like to know if there are OPAMPs in the analog out path.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 13
Count me in too. I'm attempting to decide between the Audio-gd 3DV, Ref 1 or something else. For the price the Ref1 (and 3DV) appear to be a great deal. There appears to be a lot of technology on a ~$1500 dac particularly when you compare it to what is available on Audiogon for that price. Yet, I do not know whether that technology has been well executed. Apparently there has a been a good demand for the Ref1 and I was told it would take 20 days for one to be built (if I ordered one). Hopefully someone on this board is on the early delivery list and will provide a review.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks guys!

AnakinDV8: I agree that the audio-gd box looks a little sparse, but it also comes across (to me at least) as pretty hardcore with no frills. There is something to be said for 30 lbs of completely unadorned DAC
wink.gif
I get the impression that audio-gd has been around for a while, but not known for that long outside of China.

Zorlac: The ability to change oversampling modes or go into NOS mode with dip switches is also a very attractive feature of audio-gd. I wonder if there would be a way to move that function into a switch on the back of the case. I know that audio-gd is willing to make custom modifications on request. I also considered the Neko D100, which looks very nice, but at $1300 it is a bit over my budget (I have already agreed to do all the chores in the house for the next 3 months in order to convince my wife to let me spend $850).

FallenAngel: I actually was considering the Buffalo DAC too. My idea had been to do a 3 board Beta22 and a DAC as a single unit (with a separated power supply). But it looks like the Twisted Pear guys aren't selling the regular Buffalo DAC anymore and are working on an upgraded version for release sometime in the future. I also understand that even when they do get stock, it sells out almost instantly. In the meantime, I have not really found any other DIY DACs that interest me, which is why I have drifted more towards a pre-built DAC.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't put a Buffalo in the same case as a Beta22, and for the Beta22... well, if you're going balanced DAC, it only makes sense to go balanced Beta22
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hehe...the idea was not a single "case" per se. What I had thought about was handmaking a chassis out of wood with multiple separated compartments. The idea was to go for something of a 1920s radio vibe. It is a bit hard to explain, but it looks cool in my head
wink.gif
. Of course, I realized I would spend about 2 years just making the case, on top of the fact that I am not particularly good at soldering. One can always dream though.

Good point on the balanced beta22...

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Just as an update to everyone, after reading Pete and Currawong's reviews, I decided to up my budget and go for the Audio-GD Reference One. I figure its a bit of a risk, but whats the worst that can happen.

It is supposed to ship mid-April and I am waiting with baited breath to see if its as good as it is supposed to be. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as an update to everyone, after reading Pete and Currawong's reviews, I decided to up my budget and go for the Audio-GD Reference One. I figure its a bit of a risk, but whats the worst that can happen.

It is supposed to ship mid-April and I am waiting with baited breath to see if its as good as it is supposed to be. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bob be sure and use XLR IC's to the C-2C from the RE1. It makes an appreciable difference even though the C-2C's output is single ended. Use high quality mains cables (for the C-2C and RE1, they both benefit from good cables...sorry anti cable guys this has been my observation so I'm recommending such things) and a decent set of IC's between the two units. If you can convert your source to output BNC rather than SPDIF coax (if possible of course) that also helps with getting the most from the RE1.

Of course the best bet would be a fully balanced amp at some point down the road.
smily_headphones1.gif
Save that for next year I suppose
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 13
PA Audio Digital Link III has recently come down from $1K to currently $695. It has Coax, Optical, and USB inputs and balanced or SE outputs, and the outputs are discrete. This is very sweet sounding in my system, and at heart I am an analog guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back