80mm fan
Apr 14, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #31 of 55
What HS do you have on the CPU. I recommend a Thermalright cooler if your CPU is that hot. Also, look into getting a GPU cooler that exhausts the hot air outside, like the Arctic Cooling GPU coolers. The metal that you cool with and the airlow pattern you use is every bit as important as raw CFM's.

To give you a reference, I have an AMD Athlon64 3000+ and a Radeon 9800Pro. The CPU is cooled with a Thermalright XP-120 and the GPU is cooled with an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer (Rev 3). Now, I will admit, I have not a clue as to the temperature of my GPU, but all the hot air is being directly expelled out of the case instead of being recycled. My CPU maxes out at 49C with a 120mm Nexus on it (23db and roughly 37cfm). My computer is a slight breeze and my temps do not get hot.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #32 of 55
warning: the PSUs store high voltage charge even when your computer and PSU is turned off. quick tip: try and only use one hand.

thats why i'm going to replace my PC Power & Cooling PSU brand new before using it on any computer and hopefully there'll be no charge!

Asterix : i've read that you should only worry about GPU temp after around 80? or something.. they're designed to work at 100 - not like CPU where 70+ will cut its life.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
warning: the PSUs store high voltage charge even when your computer and PSU is turned off. quick tip: try and only use one hand.

thats why i'm going to replace my PC Power & Cooling PSU brand new before using it on any computer and hopefully there'll be no charge!

Asterix : i've read that you should only worry about GPU temp after around 80? or something.. they're designed to work at 100 - not like CPU where 70+ will cut its life.

Be sure to use a reliable fan, like Panaflo or Papst. Also, the headers are different on PSU fans and case fans, so be sure you read up on that before trying it (if you already know, just ignore that
wink.gif
)

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Hi Edwood:

Do you have a Made in China Panaflo L1A?

These are supposed to have more bearing noise than the Made in Japan Panaflo L1A's?

Japan.

I'm just really really picky.

This is coming from someone who has spent more money on fans than most spend on headphones.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #35 of 55
I use SilenX 120mm 14 dBA fans in and out which I use with fan controllers and I run them about 30% slower now. I alos put my hard drives on the floor of the case with some foam between the floor and the hard drive, they still get airflow over them and run cool since I found that the hard drives even though there are super quiete and the hard drive cage still create vibrations.

SilenX is very good too.. there are many good fans out there now which are very quiete.

I think I spend in the last 6 months £450 (new case) to make my pc quiete.
I even had watercooling which was hassel so I went back to air with a nice case.

My pc is under my desk and with windows closes and normal background noise (not much) I can't hear it during the day. when I am in front of the case 1 meter away its nearly inaudiable. When talking I cant hear it. When I go to sleep (my bed is 2 meters away) I can hear a hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu which is very quiete.. I modded this PC and bought new stuff to have the PC as silent as possible.

Cost me a lot but well worth it.
http://germanjulian.com/mycomputer.php
and mind you its a fast pc too

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #36 of 55
I have ordered some Papst 8412NGLE 80mm fans - meant to be a good fan make, and only 12dB(A). I just hope that 19CFM is good enough for my computer!

My current noisy Akasa fans have a rating of around 32CFM, although quite noisy at 27dB(A). My idle CPU temp is usually about 38C, with long DivX/MP3 encoding bringing it up as high at 62C-ish.

I hope the stated dB(A) matches the real performance - I read somewhere after I had ordered it that it can have annoying ticking noises. Grr. And hope that my CPU doesn't run too hot.

Maybe the Panaflo would have been better, even though they are rated at 21dB(A)? Has anyone tried the Papst 80mm fan?

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
I have ordered some Papst 8412NGLE 80mm fans - meant to be a good fan make, and only 12dB(A). I just hope that 19CFM is good enough for my computer!

My current noisy Akasa fans have a rating of around 32CFM, although quite noisy at 27dB(A). My idle CPU temp is usually about 38C, with long DivX/MP3 encoding bringing it up as high at 62C-ish.

I hope the stated dB(A) matches the real performance - I read somewhere after I had ordered it that it can have annoying ticking noises. Grr. And hope that my CPU doesn't run too hot.

Maybe the Panaflo would have been better, even though they are rated at 21dB(A)? Has anyone tried the Papst 80mm fan?

that temp difference between your idle and load CPU temp is massive!!!! whats the temp difference for the case temp? if the case temp is pretty constant you wanna get a better CPU cooler and apply some artiv silver thermal paste.
for comp talk and advive www.driverheaven.net is a good forum
etysmile.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
If you want buy and forget fans (ultimate reliability), go Panaflo or Papst. Tried and true relaibility.

I've actually had problems with Panaflos, altho maybe I'm in the minority. It seems the blades are brittle, so after accidentally touching one while spinning it was history -- I've accidentally touched other brands of fan without this happening. Also, a Panaflo L1A set up as a rear exhaust fan (with admittedly restricted airflow) started moaning/groaning loudly every time I turned on my PC, and I had to replace it.

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #39 of 55
My heatsink is the Akasa 821Q (please see Akasa's website). It was meant to be quite a good one, but yeah the temps are quite high under a constant load. I was thinking of changing it at some point to at 120mm heatsink fan combination. I do use artic silver and it is applied correctly (I build PCs regularly). I have quite bad dust problems with my computer - I have to vacuum clean the dust out every six months otherwise it can set my mbm5 alarm off. My case is a full size Chieftech, which has good venting. My motherboard temp hardly changes - especially since I replaced the ****** northbridge fan with a Zalman fanless heatsink (very good idea as it knocked 10C off my mobo temp - plus no noisy fan either).

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I've actually had problems with Panaflos, altho maybe I'm in the minority. It seems the blades are brittle, so after accidentally touching one while spinning it was history -- I've accidentally touched other brands of fan without this happening. Also, a Panaflo L1A set up as a rear exhaust fan (with admittedly restricted airflow) started moaning/groaning loudly every time I turned on my PC, and I had to replace it.

Better the fan than your finger
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #41 of 55
I have some of those, and they are quite good, but they had a bit of a "whoop-whoop" sound that I didn't like, so I went with the Panaflo's.

I have never experienced the click, but that may be because I never undervolted them.

edit - I have tried two types, the mdel numbers escape me, and both were good, but not to my taste. Give them some time, and they may be what you need. Sounds like an audio review
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 55
Are the panaflo's quieter overall then, without any annoying noises, changes in fequency (whoop-whoop) etc?

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #43 of 55
For me, I went with Panaflos that I run off a Zalman fanbus. I can turn them down for low noise, but there is a lot of headroom to turn them up if I need extra cooling.

If I didn't want this, I could just as easily have picked the Nexus.

Another consideration is that the L1A's don't have any form of monitoring, so if you want to read fan speeds, choose the Nexus.

Either fan is better than the Papst.

Check the comments at silentpcreview:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #44 of 55
I got the Panaflo's today and I had to splice up some cables to get everything installed but the 3 fans are in now and definately quieter than before! So far I am not noticing any additional heat. BTW - I lowered the voltages on my cpu and memory to default and I still running my FSB overclocked 4 MHz with perfect stability and generally pretty low temperatures. When it does get hot it peaks at around 62 which I understand is fine for this AMD Althon XP cpu.

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
I got the Panaflo's today and I had to splice up some cables to get everything installed but the 3 fans are in now and definately quieter than before! So far I am not noticing any additional heat. BTW - I lowered the voltages on my cpu and memory to default and I still running my FSB overclocked 4 MHz with perfect stability and generally pretty low temperatures. When it does get hot it peaks at around 62 which I understand is fine for this AMD Althon XP cpu.

Yep, most can go up as high as 85C. Obviously the lower the better though, but 62C won't harm it. There's a chart on AMD's site, but I'm too lazy to get the link atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back