80 gb or 100 gb iPod rumors - are they true?
Aug 7, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by camera
Indeed, they're reluctant to disclose further info to me.

i wonder why
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Gorman I apologize that I misunderstood the intent of your first post. It seemed to be attacking the position that a differnce can be heard, and not a joke, but apparently I was wrong, and so I certainly apologize for that -- meant no ill will.

That's cool. No worries!
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

So my point was that people should do what makes them happy, and not assume that because one person can or cannot hear a difference, that the same will be true for them.

I admit that I personally think lossy-compression for music is a bad thing.

My only point was and still is that I invite people to try ABXing themselves. Not listening to what somebody else is saying.

I constantly read people asking "what's a good compression lever for my music" and the answer should be "Try ABXing at different qualities and decide for yourself". You, as everybody, are certainly entitled to do what makes you happy. I was making a joke because AAC at 320kbs ought to be transparent to pretty much everybody but... if you really can tell the difference... more power to you.

All in all I sit in the camp of "music first", not "source first", "amp first" or "speaker/headphones first". And Q4.35 is doing its job for me. Now, before anybody even tries stating that then my DT-880 and UE-10 are wasted... don't. Because that's so totally wrong that I won't be wasting my time explaining it.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 63
I have a lot of music. 1.3 Terabytes easily and counting. That said, I thought...60 gigs, yeah just enough to keep me happy. Well to my surprise I have so much music on their I actually have trouble deciding what to listen to on a given day. I guess it just got to the point that I had a bit of everything and then some and scrolling through screens and screens of tracks, names etc...well too much for me on most days.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I guess it just got to the point that I had a bit of everything and then some and scrolling through screens and screens of tracks, names etc...well too much for me on most days.

Hit shuffle.
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Hit shuffle.
wink.gif

I do do that from time to time, but I am more of an album kinda guy, and the problem with shuffle is that if I go from dark ambient to folk to chamber, I'm really out of sorts and can't keep going with work. I find it too disjointed, yes I realize I can just skip to the next shuffled track, but then I can't work either
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Hit shuffle.
wink.gif

Yeah, that's what I do, pretty much exclusively. I use my 60GB iPod in shuffle mode almost all the time. And since I put all of the music on there personally, somehow I always seem to like what it picks
600smile.gif

Quote:

Now, before anybody even tries stating that then my DT-880 and UE-10 are wasted... don't. Because that's so totally wrong that I won't be wasting my time explaining it.

On that we TOTALLY agree. Certainly using good equipment such as that is still highly beneficial.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

the problem with shuffle is that if I go from dark ambient to folk to chamber, I'm really out of sorts and can't keep going with work. I find it too disjointed, yes I realize I can just skip to the next shuffled track, but then I can't work either
wink.gif

Working can be truly distracting
biggrin.gif
but it might help if you put some work in (smart) playlists and shuffle those by album.

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

I do do that from time to time, but I am more of an album kinda guy, and the problem with shuffle is that if I go from dark ambient to folk to chamber, I'm really out of sorts and can't keep going with work. I find it too disjointed, yes I realize I can just skip to the next shuffled track, but then I can't work either
wink.gif

Yeah, it would be good if there was a player that would shuffle on album/directory. I'm an album listener myself and that would be a great feature to have on a player.

Anyone who if such a player already exists?

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

One can shuffle albums?

On an iPod, yes. From the settings menu, set "shuffle" to "songs". This will then shuffle an album, artist, genre, or playlist, depending on what you have selected. Note that it will now not play in the standard order until you go back and select "shuffle" equal to "off".

Also note that this is different from the "sfuffle songs" command from the main iPod menu.

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #43 of 63
(Sorry, computer problem cause accidental double post)

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
On an iPod, yes. From the settings menu, set "shuffle" to "songs". This will then shuffle an album, artist, genre, or playlist, depending on what you have selected. Note that it will now not play in the standard order until you go back and select "shuffle" equal to "off".

Also note that this is different from the "sfuffle songs" command from the main iPod menu.

So in doing this, it will play an entire album and then go and shuffle to the next album? I was not aware of this, very very nice indeed.

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #45 of 63
I meant shuffle albums by playing an entire album from start to end and then shuffle to another album etc. From what I understand is that you said you can set the ipod to shuffle within a chosen album? Or am I wrong? Because that can do my iriver too. But it cannot shuffle the way zanth and I are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back