80 gb or 100 gb iPod rumors - are they true?
Aug 4, 2005 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Anyone here heard that in the fall we'll get an announcement of a 80 gb or even 100gb iPod? My 60gb is completely full, and I have over 100gb in iTunes (I use almost exclusively Apple Lossless, except for truly poor sounding recordings).

I have seen a passing reference or two to this -- anyone got any skinny?

TIA
600smile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 63
In December 2004, Toshiba debuted an 80GB drive that would fit in an iPod. I'd bet that when Apple releases the next gen iPod, 80GB will be an option.

I've heard nothing about a 100GB drive for an Ipod-sized device.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 63
Well the next ipod 5th gen is due in Sept. Well that is all rumors. But the fact that Apple is talking to Disney and records Companies about licensing video's. I would be very surprised if that didn't have Video in the ipod in fall.

And being that it is video, I can only imagine the size of the biggest ipod will move up. 80 gig or a 100 gig would be a good guess. I think the 100 gig is a real shot.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 63
i really hope that they release an 80 or 100 gb iPod while keeping the 60 gb in the line up. i've been iPodless for a while, and that would push the 60 gb model into a price range i would really like. i've given up on having all my music on an portable, though (i have 140 gb, mostly in 192-320KBPS AAC). i really couldn't care less about video, though, as i have a PowerBook that fills my portable movie watching requirements.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 63
My brother had a 60 gb photo ipod and was always complainingthat he had almost no space left. About a week ago, he sold the ipod, and with the money bought a ipod mini 6gb and a bargain 300 gb external hard drive. Now he has lots and lots of space to sotre his music and more space in his pocket for the cmoy I've build for him!!! You don't listen to 60 gb of music each day, not even in a week, get a smaller mp3 player and a LARGE hard drive!!!! that beats even an 100gb ipod IMO.

Just my 0.02 cents....

Cheers

Manuel

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
My brother had a 60 gb photo ipod and was always complainingthat he had almost no space left. About a week ago, he sold the ipod, and with the money bought a ipod mini 6gb and a bargain 300 gb external hard drive. Now he has lots and lots of space to sotre his music and more space in his pocket for the cmoy I've build for him!!! You don't listen to 60 gb of music each day, not even in a week, get a smaller mp3 player and a LARGE hard drive!!!! that beats even an 100gb ipod IMO.

Just my 0.02 cents....

Cheers

Manuel

i disagree. i like to listen to a lot of different music during the day, and if i had a smaller player i would have to decide what i want to listen to every morning. i'd rather spend that extra time sleeping.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i disagree. i like to listen to a lot of different music during the day, and if i had a smaller player i would have to decide what i want to listen to every morning. i'd rather spend that extra time sleeping.

For me they are two different things. I have a 400gb worth of external hard drive space for music, and use that when listening in my office. But I'd like to have as much as possible on my iPod, since i travel a lot for work, and I want it all in lossless, so a bigger Pod would be GREAT, and no amount of PC-teathered HD space will change that.

Bring on the terabyte iPod!!!

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 63
What's the point of storing all files on your ipod losslessly, from a functional point of view? I've compared lossless files with files encoded in LAME extreme VBR on my A900s, PortaPros and my HD590s when I had them, and I really couldn't hear a difference between the two. Or at the very least, not enough of a difference to justify a file that's 6x as large.

p.s. If they release 100GB I'll have to seriously consider upgrading, but only if they significantly upgrade the battery life as well. I'm thinking 20 hours would be what it would take, considering my "12 hour" battery life is more like 8.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 63
I have most of my files in 320 AAC. There are some there are in lossless. But with Ue-10s and SA5000s , I can tell the difference between 192 at AAC and 224AAC. So I fall in the side of keeping them all in at least 320 AAC and lossless. As for how much space you need on ipod. I figure that I just want to have more. Sure I could make due with 20 gig ipod. Just there are times that I want to hear something different. Or I hear a song on the radio that I have in my collection. If I don't have it, it annoys me.

When they come out with the 5 gen ipod I will be sure to buy it. When apple goes to another generation, they make changes to the sound quality. I knew there were improvements from my 3 gen ipod to the 60 color ipod I have now. And I am sure with the 5 gen ipod there will be marginal improvements as well. And sure, I want the extra space, extended battery life, and maybe gapless playback.

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Ai, me too. It is exactly why I have an iPod, I hated the limits MD had on my portable selection. I have about 750-800 songs on mine (all ALAC) and sometimes I still miss something. So YAY!!! for more capacity.

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kampfy
What's the point of storing all files on your ipod losslessly, from a functional point of view? I've compared lossless files with files encoded in LAME extreme VBR on my A900s, PortaPros and my HD590s when I had them, and I really couldn't hear a difference between the two. Or at the very least, not enough of a difference to justify a file that's 6x as large.

Well, some note more of a difference
wink.gif

Also, when you entire lib is lossless anyway, as it is for many here who use iTunes for Computer-sourced listening, to create CDs, etc., you may not want to go through the hassle of having to convert what you want to take with you to a different format, or have several libs.

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 63
kampfy said:

Well, I can tell the difference between even AAC/320 and Lossless. It's subtle to be sure, but the differences are there. When I listen from an iPod without EQ, using the line out into my HeadRoom Maxed Out Home using any of my good cans, I can hear a difference with decent recordings (even I use VBR MP3 for things like the Dead Kennedys). I can also easily hear the difference when listening to the iPod through my main, very high-end stereo. I would rather have 2000 lossless songs (about what my 60GB iPod holds) and rotate them out, than to have 5000 always on there that are lossy-coded.

That's just me. People who cannot tell the difference should do whatever makes them happy. But I want a bigger pod!

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 63
Needless to say you aren't going to loss to much when you are using the A900s as the headphone for the ipod. With the SA5000 or the HD650 you need to have quality source material. I keep all my junk mp3s on the 20 gig ipod and all 320 and lossless files are on the 60 ipod. Just the fact that I may be losing something annoys be. So with 60 ipod, I don't worry.

I would rather have 50 quality records.. they a million lesser recordings.

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 63
There is no 1.8" 100GB drive announced by any company.

If Ipod indeed will go 100GB it will have to use a physically larger drive, and thus be even porkier.

80GB is a given though, toshiba is making them come end of Sept roll on Oct. So I would say 80gig Ipods would roll out sometime at the end of October, or maybe even a bit later for the holidays.
Toshiba did announce F81 player for their gigabeat line too.

What a lot of you should be excited about is the MK4006GAL drive which is same size as old 20/30GB models (5mm thick), meaning you can have an HD5/X5/Gmini/Whatever with 40gigs yet exact same physical size as older models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back