8.9 Earthquake Struck SE Asia
Dec 31, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #137 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Many you have contacted me about donating money towards my dad's efforts. Thank you all but at the moment he is quite comfortable with the financial requirements and I have sent him enough money to keep the mobile med center running.

He is disappointed that he is not in Sri Lanka where his services would really be useful but there are several people out there doing the good work.

The Indian scenario is quite rosy in comparison to what is happening in Sri Lanka, Andaman and Nicobar, Indonesia etc.

I still shake my head in disbelief when I see the toll rising every day...it just doubled over the last 36 hours
frown.gif

It's truly insane that the death count has gotten so high, but what concerns me, and i'm sure many of us, is if disease spreads out. I read an earlier news article that their were cases of the measles and diarrhea. Let's hope that's not the case and everyone that's alive doesn't have to suffer at the hands of another disaster. Hopefully in the coming days things will get better, i also read that they are administering vaccines against diseases that are most likely to strike, like Cholera.

gsferrari, if your dad comes across any financial strain, let us know.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #138 of 185
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Reuters) - Asia's tsunami death toll soared above 125,000 on Friday as millions struggled to find food and clean water and the world mobilized for what is shaping up to be the biggest relief effort in history.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, calling the disaster that has displaced 5 million people "an unprecedented global catastrophe and it requires an unprecedented global response," said a half-billion dollars had been pledged so far.

"The worst is yet to come, I am afraid, because of the breakdown of sanitation facilities," said Dr. Robert Edelman, a professor of medicine at the University of Maryland.

Analysts estimated damages from the disaster at about $14 billion, but that does not include potential losses of business and productivity. Some are cutting economic growth estimates for the hardest-hit countries.

full story here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...m/quake_dc&e=1

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #139 of 185
Yesterday there was an interview with a mother who just came back from Thailand. When the wave hit her and her two children, both being very young and not able to swim. She wasn't able to hold onto both of her children and hence had to decide which one to let go. Needless to say that there's no harder decison than this to make for a mother. Fortunately and almost by an wonder, the older son was somehow able to keep himself alive by clinging onto a tree. Both the mother and her two children arrived safely on Frankfurt Airport but there must be stories and fates which did not turn out so positively.

I also saw people on TV complaining about why the beach hasn't been cleaned up yet because after all the commotion they wanted to take a sun-bath.

In Germany, there is a credible financial service provider called "AWD" who adds one Euro to every Euro donated for the seaquake. They also guarantee that 100% of that money arrives in the affected regions. Actually, that service was originally intended for AWD customers and workers but due to a successful business year, they have extended this service to outsiders as well. For people in Germany, this might be interesting. The bank information is:
AWD-Stiftung Kinderhilfe, Stichwort Seebeben,
Commerzbank Hannover, BLZ 250 400 66, Konto 141919100

I feel ashamed that I actually considered donating less so I could afford a gold interconnect I wanted to buy.
rolleyes.gif
So much for losing sight of relations.

Donating money is a very good mental practice (for future donations for example) and most of all, it helps people in need.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #140 of 185
This was a terrible disaster.

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #141 of 185
This not just another terrible disaster, it is a catastrophe of biblical scale. The death will reach a million, because most of the survivors won't make it.

This tsunami was so unpredictable and deadly that one begins to question the existence of a benevolent God.

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #142 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
This tsunami was so unpredictable and deadly that one begins to question the existence of a benevolent God.

I hope not. Our prayers are needed about now...
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #143 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
wink.gif

Under any other circumstance I would've agreed with that statement, but I see a fundamental flaw here.

Prey to the same 'entity' that brought this calamity to 'save' (send to heaven) those who were killed?

I'm sorry, but I'm a little too shocked by this disaster to take solace in divine contemplation.

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #145 of 185
Dec 31, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #148 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
About time! But, now they are wrangling about where the money is coming from. some things never change.

Hey, as long as it does what it's supposed to.....
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #149 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
wink.gif

It's the worst kind of 'natural selection' I've ever seen. Makes one wonder how vulnerable we are as 'mighty' human being swept away just like helpless ants in a matter of seconds. And the thought about surviviors who might not make it ! It's been almost a week now and there's no massive evacuation of any sorts, where are the choppers to get them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back