8.9 Earthquake Struck SE Asia
Jan 5, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #182 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Thailand May Have Delayed Tsunami Warning to Save Tourist Trade

Thailand’s Meteorological Department may have delayed sounding a tidal wave warning for fear it could damage the country’s lucrative tourism industry, officials indicated today.

Sulamee Prachuab, who heads the department’s Seismological Bureau, said the agency needed to be cautious because the government’s tourism agency deems that such warnings would hurt tourism if a predicted natural disaster didn’t occur.

read the rest here: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3934784

you kidding me? tourism wasn't hurt even when the disaster DID hit. i just read that the beaches are filling up with tourists again, only a week after people died on those very beaches.

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #183 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Eyeteeth, you're too nice and generous. I hate to see 9 of 10 dollars going elsewhere. No money vs. some money is unquestionable, but little money vs. some money is questionable.

I don't know exactly how to put a correct value on money and life.
I'm living modestly by North American standards, but I consider myself to be in the lap of luxury by international standards.

Maybe it's part cultural? There are only 35 million Canadians.
News article: Private Donors swamp charities
Canadians give more than $70-million;
one group says it has enough cash for now

"Canadians have donated more than $70-million in tsunami relief, a surge of generosity that has astounded leading aid agencies and led one organization to announce that it has enough money to meet its immediate needs in South Asia."

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #184 of 185
Wow eyeteeth, that's $2 per every Canadian. Always good to have a nice neighbor! Truly touching effort by Canadians. Obviously there's no money value to put on the deceased. However, this reconstruction will take years and years. Every penny will count in long-term effort.

Jan 6, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #185 of 185
I didn't vote for this Australian Prime Minister because I don't agree with his party's policies but this seems pretty good to me and quite out of character:

Aust 'showing the way' with aid package

The Australian Red Cross, Oxfam and World Vision have called for other countries to follow Australia's lead, after Prime Minister John Howard pledged $1 billion over five years to rebuild tsunami-hit areas of Indonesia....read more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back