8.9 Earthquake Struck SE Asia
Dec 30, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #122 of 185
My dad is 24/7 along the South Indian coast to provide medical aid to the children worst affected by this tragedy. An adult can survive the infections for several weeks - a child will be killed instantly by Diarrhoea etc.

In the next few days I may be forced to sell all my equipment here to fund his efforts. I am not sad or angry because of this. I just cleaned out my bank account to pay for the vehicle (van) that is now being used as a mobile medical center.

It should not surprise you to know that the government is not doing anything to help. All ambulances are safely parked (because all hospitals are privatized and no one wants to work on a loss...), police forces are on holiday for the "festive" season, the armed forces are on vacation, the government hospitals are overcrowded with OP's (Out Patients - people who have received treatment - most of them just hang in there delaying their recovery and exit because they get free food - no room for the people affected by this tragedy).

Sad...

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #123 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk_suki
BTW - they have plenty of money in the near term, it is the mid to long term that $ is really necessary to rebuild. The critical resources now, are invaluable assets like ships, planes, communications and skilled command and control to manage logistics, e.g. supply chain. Agree these are priceless gifts so lets stop the comparison and political posturing, and focus on getting results.

Agreed. My formation (Combat Engineers) is/ are sending in people to help out. One of our companies are actually setup to build simple infrastructure like sanitation and housing for UN missions. They're leaving tomorrow by LST's (we've to land on coast since the internal road network is not usable).

I've volunteered for the second wave and am still not sure if I'm allowed to go. However, the other platoon is trained in heavy & construction machinery so they will likely be activated to go in and help clear debris and build new roads for the important stuff like food and medical aid to come through. My platoon will probably conduct the recces and find routes to clear and landing areas.

I can only hope we can do enough to help the folks out since we can only stay for a month or so at most. We don't have materials to build more permanent structures on my unit's side unlike those regulars who are going to Indonesia who will have the Peacekeeping Engineers Company to build them the structures. They can easily stay much longer for probably up to half a year.

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #124 of 185
Gosh GS!
frown.gif

Doesn't even a disaster like this wake some of the corrupted people you speak off up?! I guess it's just beyond me to see so many people suffering and do nothing, just think about your own money. It's beyond my imagination to be able to do that. How do they justify that to themselfs?

The only thing most of us in other countries can do now is give money to organisations like the Red Cross. I hope all of us do so. Everybody can spare something! Even if it's just a couple of Dollars.

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #125 of 185
It just gets worst and worst...

The death toll from last weekend's earthquake-tsunami catastrophe rose to more than 114,000 on Thursday as Indonesia uncovered more and more dead from ravaged Sumatra island, where pilots dropped food to remote villages still unreachable by rescue workers. A false alarm that new killer waves were about to hit sparked panic in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/...d=514&ncid=514

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #127 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
My dad is 24/7 along the South Indian coast to provide medical aid to the children worst affected by this tragedy. An adult can survive the infections for several weeks - a child will be killed instantly by Diarrhoea etc.

In the next few days I may be forced to sell all my equipment here to fund his efforts. I am not sad or angry because of this. I just cleaned out my bank account to pay for the vehicle (van) that is now being used as a mobile medical center.

It should not surprise you to know that the government is not doing anything to help. All ambulances are safely parked (because all hospitals are privatized and no one wants to work on a loss...), police forces are on holiday for the "festive" season, the armed forces are on vacation, the government hospitals are overcrowded with OP's (Out Patients - people who have received treatment - most of them just hang in there delaying their recovery and exit because they get free food - no room for the people affected by this tragedy).

Sad...

It's things like this that brings me joy (your father's valiant efforts) and great
sadness (the seeming indifference toward a country's own people) when a
tragedy like this happens.
It really brings out the best (and worst) out of people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I'm going for the warm and fuzzy feelings approach and sending some more money.

gsferrari, I would not mind sending money for your father's efforts.
While donating money to the well known organizations is vital at this time,
I at least will know where the money is going directly.

Any other Head-fiers feel the same?
I'm not talking about very large donations.
If every active member sent only $2, $5 or $10 it would add up very quickly.
Heck, we could call it the Head-fi for Humanity fund.

Larger, tax deductable, donations should still be sent to the Red Cross and the like.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #128 of 185
I was thinking the same...I like my money to go as direct as possible - besides, we don't want GS to be out of all his gear - I'll send, if he will recieve...GS?

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #129 of 185
Darn...I already sent my share to unicef. Don't you guys think it's better to just send money via NGO? Countless times, I've seen on news NOT to send clothing and shoes since most are made there. Better to send capital through these organizations and purchase them there.

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #131 of 185
I just ordered a pocketdock after seeing this. I know it isn't much, but I needed one anyways. I couldn't decide b/w this and the sik, but this convinced me.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected.
frown.gif

-John

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #134 of 185
Dec 31, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #135 of 185
Many you have contacted me about donating money towards my dad's efforts. Thank you all but at the moment he is quite comfortable with the financial requirements and I have sent him enough money to keep the mobile med center running.

He is disappointed that he is not in Sri Lanka where his services would really be useful but there are several people out there doing the good work.

The Indian scenario is quite rosy in comparison to what is happening in Sri Lanka, Andaman and Nicobar, Indonesia etc.

I still shake my head in disbelief when I see the toll rising every day...it just doubled over the last 36 hours
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back