7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
May 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #451 of 548
I guess i was lucky right from the start. Because when i started the thread i could not suspect that so many faulty units existed.

Almost 7 months later i still think the the 2009 iPod Classic is the best iPod to date (Aside from the iPhone 3G S which to my ear is just a tad better sounding.But you must be really "looking" hard for the difference between both and you could not fit as much into it )

The only problem i've found so far is that sometimes is really hard to choose an album to listen having 877 synched
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #454 of 548
Just after listening to a few songs I can't tell the difference between my nokia 5800 and the ipod classic anymore. Perhaps it was because before I listened to the Ipod I'Ve used my HD650 which is not so bass heavy like the ie8. Now i'm satisfied with the sq of the ipod.

May 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #456 of 548
I just picked up a new classic yesterday from Best Buy. I bought it initially to keep in my car because I seem to have misplaced my A729, but I was pleasantly surprised with the SQ when paired with my ath-m50/um3x. FWIR, it sounds better than the 64gb iPod Touch I had and cheaper too
smily_headphones1.gif
Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. The only thing complaint I have is that the Classic doesn't sort using "Album Artist" like it does with iTunes/Touch/iPhone. It just makes for longer scrolling when browsing through artists : /

May 5, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #457 of 548
Hmm, would any of you say that the SQ is better than on a 5.5th Generation iPod? I'm just deceiding wether to get new Classic or get a larger harddisk and new battery for my old one.

May 6, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #458 of 548
Classic really shine with external AMPs(line-out)help and soundquality is close match with the iMod..........

May 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #462 of 548

Quote:
So just to clarify...

Old 160GB classic = Wolfson Dac

New 160GB classic = Cirrus Dac (same as iPhone 3GS)

Is that accurate?

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So just to clarify...

Old 160GB classic = Wolfson Dac

New 160GB classic = Cirrus Dac (same as iPhone 3GS)

Is that accurate?

It is.

There is a post here claiming that they tore down the Classic and it had the Wolfson DAC, but every other source I have seen claims that the current Touch, iPhone 3GS and 160GB Classic (Sept 2009 refresh : 6th Gen, Rev 2) all use the Cirrus DAC. I maintain that there is more to it than that, and the Apple engineers have done some tweaking, and Wolfson would still be supplying DACs for the Nano (I think the current Shuffle has the Cirrus DAC, but I havent seen that in black and white). All I know is that the current Classic sounds better than any iPod I've ever heard - you need to hear it for yourself.

Actually to my knowledge the recent evolution for the iPod Touch/iPhone is Wolfson DAC > Cirrus DAC > Samsung integrated A/V chipset, with the Samsung having the best audio quality, and the Cirrus having the worst. I believe the Classic model is the latest to implement the Samsung, and I have not researched the current Nano/Shuffle models.

May 6, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #463 of 548

Quote:

Actually to my knowledge the recent evolution for the iPod Touch/iPhone is Wolfson DAC > Cirrus DAC > Samsung integrated A/V chipset, with the Samsung having the best audio quality, and the Cirrus having the worst. I believe the Classic model is the latest to implement the Samsung, and I have not researched the current Nano/Shuffle models.

I try google but couldn't find much, can you please provide a link or any readings which says that the ipod classic has the samsung chipset? So, the latest Ipod classic has Samsung chipset as the DAC?

May 7, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #464 of 548
Well perhaps I am wrong.

I have found articles that say it's Cirrus, and other articles that say it's a Wolfson DAC. I could have sworn that I read about the evolution from an audio DAC to an integrated a/v chipset, but now I think that perhaps this is just the digital decoding chipset, not an analog converter. I have posted this information in the past complete with links regarding the iPod Touch/iPhone 3g, but this is the best I can come up with now:

"However, this Samsung chipset is also capable of handling 720p video recording, streaming vid conferencing and even Dolby 5.1 audio processing, giving this hardware some serious future potential."

Sorry 'bout that
redface.gif

May 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #465 of 548
(I just read trough random posts in the tread and was a little shocked by the heated discussions that went on)

I guess i will get a classic in the forseeable future (taxes came out in my favour, wich means my kid and i can get some toys :).
Does anybody use his classic with an LOD from ALO? And if so, are you satisfied with the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back