7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #421 of 548
Well I just got my 160GB from amazon yesterday (Previously I had the 2007 80GB classic) Comparing the SQ of the new 160GB to the 80GB it seams a bit more cleaner on the 160GB just using the HP out.

I haven't hooked it up to my amp and DT770s since I mostly use my DT770 on my gaming computer. Maybe I'll play around with the LOD+Amp+770's this weekend.

Also on a side note it's quite surprising how good the JVC MicroHD/HA-FXC50 sound for being such cheap IEMs. $25 on amazon
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #422 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SQ rating:

iPod 5.5 gen > Classic 7 gen >= Fuze/Clip > Classic 6 gen

Ok,
Just got an iPod 5.5g, and from initially comparing it to my Fuze... it sounds a -bit- better, but for a strange reason.

It seems a little less detailed overall through headphone out, bass/soundstage etc is the same just overall it feels warmer (This is probably what makes it seem a little less detailed) This isn't a bad thing however, as a lot - most even of my music is old recordings which when used which the Fuze is too revealing and makes me able to hear tiny details like clipping and pops sometimes with the Fuze, with the 5.5g though, it sounds smooth and warm overall and the tiny annoying flaws in the music can't be heard. It just seems more musical really.

So overall, yes it sort of does sound better overall, but as a tradeoff I seem to lose some fine detail. I'll have a line out for it soon though so that might make the signal more clean and sound clearer and more detailed overall.

The build quality, 80gb size, universal support for 99% of accessories on the market and much more stable version of rockbox however, is something FAR better than the Fuze had and enough of a reason to keep this over the Fuze
smile_phones.gif

Edit - Ok the iPod does sound better than the Fuze pretty much...

In complex sections of music there is better instrument placement/seperation and the sound isn't so cluttered up, and feint details in the background are noticeable that I couldn't hear on the Fuze, as well as being far more forgiving of poorly recorded/mastered tracks. It's still a bit sort of unclear overall but I guess that's why people use the lineouts to bypass the headphone slot
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #423 of 548
A quick question out of interest: Does the iPod 7th gen benefit from a fiio e1 when driving a sennheiser hd25-1 headphone?

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #424 of 548
I too had the 120 08 model got rid of it for the horrid sound so if anyone can compare with the current straight out of the box no EQ or any other crap hooked up or mod to it would be appreciated thanx.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #425 of 548
hybwolf;6110189 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wrote about my comparison of two iPods. You do another comparison with different gear. So there is no wonder you do not hear the things I do.

Your comparing the content of 2 different Ipods that had been ripped from a cd. I'm comparing the Actual CD to the lossless ripped version on the Ipod.
If it was in the recording, I would hear it. I didn't compare this on some cheap department store rack system. This was compared on a 14k high end system. If a fly had farted in the recording, I would hear it.

A test that has been used in the high end community for years is Jennifer Warnes, Famouse Blue Raincoat. A mic was taken outside to record rain drops in the beginning of the track. You will be able to hear this in a system that is very revealing. I have heard multi-thousand dollar transport/dacs that couldn't re-produce the rain drops with clarity. I hear it perfect with the ipod.

I'm not saying the ipod sounds exactly like the cd, I'm just not hearing any content that is missing. I'm actually highly impressed with the sound quality that I'm getting from a $250 ipod hooked up to my main system. And this is through the headphone out!

My suggestion to anyone thinking of getting the Classic 160g is go for it. It is of an exceptional value. It is perfect for a portable listening device. You can fill it up with roughly 500 lossless albums. On the go this is perfect. How critical do you listen to music with the ipod when at work or on the go? In this listening enviroment you most likely won't pick up on subtle differences that may be between a 5 gen and the 2009 version. I would suggest putting the money into the IEM/ headphones. That's where you will get the biggest sound improvement.

For most people I would imagine their critical listening will happen at home in a quiet enviroment. Team the $250 dollar Ipod up with the Wadia Transport or even the cheaper Onkyo when it comes out. So for about $500 you get the Classic 2009 Ipod and Onkyo Transport . Now you add a dac of your choosing either now or later. This combination with the rite dac will give 10k cd players a run for their money. And the nice thing about a transport is it won't matter which Ipod is being used. To me, the ability to retrieve the digital signal out of the ipod is reason enough to consider buying a 5 gen/Imods a complete waste of money compared to the 2009.

What... famous blue raincoat is the actual track name or is it on one of the songs on the famous blue raincoat album? I can't hear it at all, can't even hear a trace of those rain drops with my DT880s...

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #426 of 548
sorry, I did not take the time to read all 29 pages, so maybe this has come up before.

I maxed out my old classic 80, and will be shopping for the 160. If I go to my local best buy, is there anyway to know if you are buying the 7th, generation 160 vs the previous model. Will there be an indication on the box, or in the instructions?

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #427 of 548
There were 3 releases of the classic:

80Gb and 160GB - the 160GB has a thicker enclosure.

120GB- one size only in the smaller casing

160GB- ditto

Just make sure you get a 160GB in a cardboard box. I think the original 160GB came in a plastic box.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #428 of 548
Quick side question:

I got a 2009 classic coming in and I want a lod to composite cable for it for viewing video on any screen and use for hifi system. Apple is selling one for 45 euro, but there are also very cheap alternatives. I know that the iPhone has some sort of lock on the lod so the cheap ones don't work with it, but most sellers claim that classic iPod does work with cheapo composite cable, others say they don't also. Anyone knows whether cheapo lod AV cable are fully operational with the 2009 classic??

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #429 of 548
So, basically, I thought I was done with all my upgrading and such: I have a great DAP, a GREAT pair of 'phones, and a new MacBook Pro. Well, the great synergy between the iPod and the MacBook Pro has been a revelation, compared to my past experiences with my old, run-down Dell desktop, and various DAP's. So I finally got serious with my library of music, and realized how mammoth it was. Alas, I am close to filling my '08 iPod Classic 120G. So after lurking back on here, I found this thread, and went out and bit the bullet, and bought a silver 7th Gen iPod Classic 160G, utilizing various gift cards, and saved dollars from a profitable holiday in the restaurant biz. Looking forward to loading some jams onto it and doing a sound comparison. Thoughts will follow...

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #430 of 548
You are going through almost the same path i went through back in October and i'm really delighted.Hope you have the blast that i'm having with the fine 09 Classic.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #431 of 548
OOPs! Minor hiccup, my new 7th Gen Classsic had a faulty hard-drive, returned it to Apple Store for another new one! Thing was totally noisy, making whirring sounds and clicking, syncing and re-syncing, even after manual disconnect. I am no computer tech but I know a bad Hard-drive when I HEAR one! Back to loading up the tunes.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #432 of 548
I called tech support to get their opinion on what would sound best in my application. My application is output to the input of my Alpine 9853 CD player (car audio) and in wav format.

They said the Classic would be the best choice as it is designed for music and other choices such as the Touch is designed for a lot of different applications and he did not think the Touch would be a good choice.

How knowledgeable the tech person I talked to is hard to say but hopefully an informed decision.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #433 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by johndi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called tech support to get their opinion on what would sound best in my application. My application is output to the input of my Alpine 9853 CD player (car audio) and in wav format.

They said the Classic would be the best choice as it is designed for music and other choices such as the Touch is designed for a lot of different applications and he did not think the Touch would be a good choice.

How knowledgeable the tech person I talked to is hard to say but hopefully an informed decision.

Outright, a touch will cost more, for less GB. So, if you only want it only for audio purposes, definitely the Classic, since it's wiser for the money.

An ipod touch is good because of all the apps!!!

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #434 of 548
I haven't read though this entire thread so forgive me if this has been asked earlier: With the alleged improved sound quality of the newer 160gb ipods, is the usefulness of the EQ improved as well? I've never owned an ipod, but all reports of previous versions were that the EQ was useless and made it sound worse. Has this changed for the new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back