7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #91 of 548
Correct. To my ears 2009 Classic sound is better specially at transients and decays. More natural and more dynamic range both through HP and LO.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #94 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gold - an American is prepared to lecture an Aussie on the correct use of the English language. I'll have my posts cross-checked by a panel of experts in future, Your Lordship.

I stand by everything I said in the earlier post, so feel free to rant on, caps lock blazing. The history of such interchanges on Head-Fi is that they go downhill fast - I'm prepared to leave it right here. I do want to state that I have no issue with anything in any of Panagea's posts, merely the way they appear to have been interpreted by some.

I don't wish to argue, but when a page worth of the thread is you stating the same reoccurring theme, it gets tiresome and detracts from the thread.

OT: I will be getting a 160GB Classic hopefully from a WalMart or Best Buy. Both say they aren't sold in stores, but I've seen a WalMart actually have a spot reserved for it. Here's to hoping I don't have to buy it online.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #95 of 548
Those who wish to compare the current Classic with the 5.5GB should note that, officially, Apple havent changed anything beyond the size of the hard drive in the 2009 refresh, at least according to Wikipedia.

There was a hardware and firmware upgrade in Sept 2008, but I *believe* that the Classic has had the CIrrus Logic DAC since its introduction in Sept 2007. That should mean 3 years of posts where folk discuss the differences between the 5.5G and 6G iPod. I accept that Apple have made some changes in that time, and it would be interesting to know what the reaction was in 2008 to the changes, but I guess the question is whether the 2009 edition sounds any different to the 2008/2007 editions.

There was some discussion of 5.5GB vs Classic in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/5-...lassic-441672/

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #96 of 548
I just ordered the Classic 160gb 2009 version because everyones been saying how good it was.. I hope you guys are right. Oh and I rip using apple lossless so my songs are HUGE..

Music is so.. Expensive..

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #97 of 548
I just got the 160g today at Best Buy for 10% off. Didn't even know about the deal, but when I got to the register, the gal there said there was a coupon for 10% off any one Apple product. It was a nice little surprise.

I'm putting tunes on it as I type. I have a 2nd gen nano and a 1st gen touch and a 3S iphone I can compare to, but tonight I think I'm just going to listen to music and enjoy.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #99 of 548
Boomana, you did very well - best I could manage was $10 off while he muttered something about 'they nail us with the margins on these ..'. I think Apple do work very hard to keep their 'premium' products priced accordingly, at least here in Oz.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #100 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomana, I'd be very interested in your comparison of the iPhone and new classic, purely HP out.

I'm curious as well. I have the last gen iphone, and I haven't paid attention to any comments saying if there's a difference between mine and the newest model, which came out about two weeks after I got mine. Anyway, I'll be traveling for the next couple days and I should have some time to try things out.

So far, I'm just loving having 160g of music space.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #101 of 548
I have had the 3G and 3GS and feel they have the same sound quality, no noticeable difference that I can tell. Which is a good thing, as I am loving the iPhone even without an amp.

Now I am just trying to figure out if the Classic has the same signature because I would love to be carrying around that much music on a great sounding DAP.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #102 of 548
Mmm, hopefully I'll be getting my Classic today. The only comparison I would be able to offer is that of my Sony NWZ-A726 and my second gen (blue clip) shuffle.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #103 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the 160g today at Best Buy for 10% off. Didn't even know about the deal, but when I got to the register, the gal there said there was a coupon for 10% off any one Apple product. It was a nice little surprise.

I just checked BB on line and they offer only $15 off,,,You received $25 off in store???

LQQK

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #104 of 548
Hi all.

I have an 5.5G 80G, another 5.5G with 240GB drive being i
Modded now, and a Classic 160G (first version which I think is called the 6th G).

The hiss out of headphone out of the 5.5 islouder than the Classic, but the 5.5G has so much more presence.

I am currently getting used to a LISAIII amp so wlll need a day or two before I can give you aview on that, but from a D10 on standard OpAmps, the 5.5G was a better sound to me from LOD.

I was using a Qables Silvercab pro lod from both units.

iMod id due in a couple of weeks so I shall give a view on all three when that comes in.

Regards

Sceptre

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #105 of 548
Hi Sceptre,

Apologies for going slightly OT - how do you find the RS-1 from the D10 ? I know that the Grados have only 32 ohms impedance, but I'm sure you'll agree that there is a big difference between being able to drive a pair of headphones and getting everything they are capable of - keen to hear your impressions.

Thanks,

estreeter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back