7th Annual ChiUniFi - June 22nd
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #91 of 139
I definitely want to hear that JDS labs stuff. Just got my O2 through them. Most likely I'll bring my portables, the DT990 600 ohm, and maybe the Darkvoice 332 or Heed. I heard the Yamaha pro 500 at Fry's last night. While I need to listen to it with my own stuff, from what I heard there, it seems that the positive reviews on here were spot on(along with the comfort issues). There's a good chance that I'll end up deciding it trounces the UE6000 and K550 if I can get some more evaluation time. It seems to be superior to other closed phones I've heard in the ways others have said. Natural reproduction of instruments, separation, clarity. Holm audio in Woodridge has the M4U2 if I recall. I need to hear those too. Still need to see if the wife is up for sharing her momentums(if she remembers to bring them back from work).

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #97 of 139
Quote:
The Sennheiser Orpheus Mark II?

Smaller than  the Orpheus Mart II, how about the mini (portable) Orpheus Mark II.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #98 of 139
Quote:
I might go if I can get a ride.

I would have liked to bring the Eddie Current Electra, but it doesn't seem like mine will be ready in time.  I could, however, bring my main dynamic setup: Stello U3 w/Aqvox PSU -> NAD M51 -> Eddie Current Balancing Act -> HD800's or TH900's and perhaps Burson Conductor -> LCD-3's all powered by a B.P.T. 1 Signature.

I would love to hear the Balancing Act again. That was a highlight for me last year.

And ListeningAura, can you make a bigger graphic? I'm trying to make a t-shirt on cafe press and it wont let me resize it.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #99 of 139
Quote:
I would love to hear the Balancing Act again. That was a highlight for me last year.

And ListeningAura, can you make a bigger graphic? I'm trying to make a t-shirt on cafe press and it wont let me resize it.

Ill Vector the newer one. That way it can be resized. I'll post it sometime tomorrow as the process does take awhile.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #101 of 139
Is anyone bringing a pair of Grado SR325is or RS1i?  If you have either pair would you consider bringing them along.  I'm considering moving up the Grado stack but would love to hear some of the options in person.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #103 of 139
If the hotel is booked the spaces may be full. You can use the door in the back that opens directly into the Willow room. However, we may need to park a ways away.

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #104 of 139
suppose I can bring my button RS-1. Not sure how it sounds compared to a 1i. It sounds pretty awful with the Sansa clip paired with the O2. Then again I've never exactly gotten the sound I want out of it no matter what I paired with it. I picked the Arcam 73 in part because it gave the RS-1 some much needed bass while also taming the treble some. That O2 will drive a K701 and DT 990 600 ohm pretty loud even out of the clip. It got the 701 louder with less volume than I needed for the DT 990. 701 sounded pretty bad out of the O2 as well. But, I think both the 701 and RS1 sounded accurate when thinking about their frequency response graphs. 701 sounds much better with the heed can amp, but I wonder if the heed has some coloration or something that is making it more pleasant. There's thing I like better about these open phones, namely the timbre, but I really prefer the Amperior over everything I own. The low impedence closed phones don't sound the same when plugged into the O2 vs being plugged into the Sansa clip by itself. More liquid, less solid sounding, spreads out horizontally a little more, blacker, cleaner background. The highs and bass seem to have more power. It can get fatiguing. I wonder if my audioquest evergreen cable is changing something. Distorting some frequency or other. I'll have to try a generic one. For the first time I'm just plugging stuff directly into the Sansa. It gets more than loud enough with the Amperior. Still adequate for the HD25-1, K550, and UE6000. I can bring the Ibasso amp. I hated the UE6000 when paired with it. Just made it dull. It seemed to give the 550 a fuller sound that I liked, but also made some albums unlistenable due to bad treble spiking. Harlan Cage-Forbidden Colors was one. I'm trying to recall the others. It's probable I made a note in a thread somewhere on here. I didn't have that horrible fatigue when using the Sansa directly or the K550 into the O2. Probably what I'll end up doing is packing the closed phones in one bag and the open in another. Throw the O2 and Ibasso P2 in there. Maybe bring the heed can amp as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back