7Hz Impressions & Discussion
May 14, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,037 of 4,270
Hi, be careful, this is the AE, not the OG. I do not say OG is bad, on the contrary, OG is a masterpiece benchmark and AE is its refined clone for those that want it more in the lows and smoother in the upper mids.
on the old coupler the AE and OG both show a peak at 8khz, and many claim they could hear the peak and some were bothered by it. This is what I’m referring to. Even Timmy from gizaudio mentioned the Timeless 8khz peak in one of his more recent videos. My point is that people see the peak on the graphs and then think it’s there. Assuming Crinacles new rig is more accurate then the 8khz peak was never there.

IMG_0755.jpeg

May 14, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #4,038 of 4,270
Legato doesn't seem to be so hard to drive.
It pairs well, even, with the small Shanling M0.

May 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #4,039 of 4,270
on the old coupler the AE and OG both show a peak at 8khz, and many claim they could hear the peak and some were bothered by it. This is what I’m referring to. Even Timmy from gizaudio mentioned the Timeless 8khz peak in one of his more recent videos. My point is that people see the peak on the graphs and then think it’s there. Assuming Crinacles new rig is more accurate then the 8khz peak was never there.

IMG_0755.jpeg
Nevertheless, AE has more subbass and is smoother on the rig and in reality.

May 14, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #4,040 of 4,270
So apparently the Timeless doesn’t actually have the 8Khz peak some people claim they have. I never heard it.

This is a good thought, and I have never personally heard it myself. It has been my experience that normally an 8K boost on a graph is or can be an artifact, and most will even preface that.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #4,041 of 4,270
So better to buy the AE instead of the OG for rock and metal music?

Another question: I read that the iphone only delivers 1vrms@320 with 31.25mW per channel? Is this good enough to drive the AE to its maximum of sound quality or what would you do if you want to use an apple device with the timeless? Will you always have limited sound quality because the drivers don't sound as controlled as possible?

May 22, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #4,042 of 4,270

Another question: I read that the iphone only delivers 1vrms@320 with 31.25mW per channel? Is this good enough to drive the AE to its maximum of sound quality or what would you do if you want to use an apple device with the timeless? Will you always have limited sound quality because the drivers don't sound as controlled as possible?

if u dun already have OG, then just go straight for AE. it's a nice sidegrade.

easy driving off phones.

May 22, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #4,043 of 4,270

I would say that on paper, it can drive the Timeless fine, but DO keep in mind that as long as you are supplying the amount of voltage for these, it will come down to how much current it can put out. Planars use a steady voltage ouput, unlike a DD which has voltage swing throughout the spectrum. Planars instead, keep steady voltage and use current for the swing. Since the current numbers are not as readily published on sources, it is hard to say if these will be driven properly or not. You SHOULD get plenty of volume though.

Having said that, if you have a contemporary iPhone, then you probably have to use a dongle with it to convert it, since it doesn't have a headphone jack. This also means that there is no DAC (digital to analog converter) in the phone. The output power from this converter/dongle is what you really need to look at.

May 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #4,044 of 4,270
That's true but without having own batteries it needs power from the iphone and ios will limit it. So I think a powerful dongle without batteries is always weaker in combination with an iphone. I only wanted to ask if there are big differences between the apple dongle, moondrop dawn or topping g5 in combination with timeless and iphone. But difficult to say. Maybe the Fiio Q11 solves this problem?

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #4,045 of 4,270
Hi, apple dongle is fine since you get it free (or $10) but do not overestimate it. It is basic dac/amp and subjectively liking its replay is different from tech parameters, functionalities and fidelity. Let me break it this way:
1/ dongles drain your phone; this is a big pain 'n the 'ss - you get short in music and in connectivity in the end; dongle is smth you take when you have only 20 min b/n flights and want to listen to music or keep it in your pocket for the lunch break at work;
2/ yes there are dongles that produce great replay like Cayin RU6 or THX Onyx, iFi Go Blu but they are already ~>$200, so practically adding a bit more to get portable dac/amp with battery is very worth; ok, you carry one more device but that is giving you power, longer enjoyment, better enjoyment, longer phone battery;
3/ the bigger size is not only because of the battery - dongles are small and yes that is convenient but size (room) matters; devices like G5 pack sometimes crazy tech inside and it is not by chance that Mojo2 or iBasso DX320 cost so much - all that additional tech is elevating your positive experience, enjoyment and fidelity.

May 22, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #4,047 of 4,270
According to my Qudelix 5K, I use about .006 to .012 volts when listening to music with my Timeless AE. They don’t need much power at all.

IMG_0579.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back