7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,246 of 4,275
No, I meant can you describe the improvements compared to the Rhyme?
I heard the vocal and the treble slightly more forward which is more suitable for my taste. Sorry, I do not know what the right term to describe it.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,247 of 4,275
So my new cable arrived. I much prefer this look I must say. It also has even resistance on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG20211222153103.jpg
    IMG20211222153103.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,248 of 4,275
Alrighty,

So this is a nail in the coffin for me and I just want confirmation before I get rid of it.

There's a massive spike at what appears to be 6.5k. I have two songs (really the whole album) that showcases this in an excellent way.

So, I'd like you guys to listen to these two, (the part that is iffy in 'Citizen' is at 0:45 and 0:51 very pronounced sharp "sh" sound and hear how many of you have this so I know if it's on all units.

Fix? EQ 6500Hz down 10dB with Q7 and if you use an EQ which raises the upper mids add to that even more.

For contrast, ER2SE with or without EQ doesn't even come close.

So please, do me a favor,

Thanks, much appreciated.

So, I just listened to parts of these two tracks as well. I can hear some sibilance but it's not excessive nor offensive. It appears natural in that it sounds inherent to his voice, at least in part because I'm not perceiving it as being overemphasized in the production of the tracks. This was plugged straight into my PC's headphone jack so I wasn't listening at a very high volume.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,249 of 4,275
Alrighty,

So this is a nail in the coffin for me and I just want confirmation before I get rid of it.

There's a massive spike at what appears to be 6.5k. I have two songs (really the whole album) that showcases this in an excellent way.

So, I'd like you guys to listen to these two, (the part that is iffy in 'Citizen' is at 0:45 and 0:51 very pronounced sharp "sh" sound and hear how many of you have this so I know if it's on all units.

Fix? EQ 6500Hz down 10dB with Q7 and if you use an EQ which raises the upper mids add to that even more.

To my ears, I do hear some brightness at the timings you referred to but it is not sibilant or piercing. I just hear it as revealing. My chain is PC to Topping D70s and Singxer SA-1. I also tried it with my alternative chains PC to iFi Hip Dac 2 and PC to Cayin RU6. All three chains though 4.4 balanced.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #1,250 of 4,275
Hey guys,

Still on my quest to find great closed back can or IEMs that isolate really well, and can tune me out from the sometimes hectic world around me. That being said, I've tried the DT177x Go, Meze 99 Classics, and AKG 361/371. I hated them all. Instead of playing the return game with Amazon, I think I finally gave up on finding a sub $350 set of closed back cans that do it for me. I decided to turn my attention back to IEMs. . .

I listen to mostly Vocal EDM -- so I need something with amazing vocals and good bass. I'll also sometimes use them for gaming. I love my Sundara's for this -- but as an open back -- they are a no go. Can anyone recommend the Timeless? And, I would be really thankful, if someone can tell me how these two songs sound with the Timeless.

Anywhere With You - Afrojack

My Immortal - Evanescence

Current set up:

Source: PC --> Aune T1/DX3 Pro+ --> Headphones

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,251 of 4,275
Alrighty,

Thanks for the tracks. Loving the band!

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,252 of 4,275
Hey guys,

Still on my quest to find great closed back can or IEMs that isolate really well, and can tune me out from the sometimes hectic world around me. That being said, I've tried the DT177x Go, Meze 99 Classics, and AKG 361/371. I hated them all. Instead of playing the return game with Amazon, I think I finally gave up on finding a sub $350 set of closed back cans that do it for me. I decided to turn my attention back to IEMs. . .

I listen to mostly Vocal EDM -- so I need something with amazing vocals and good bass. I'll also sometimes use them for gaming. I love my Sundara's for this -- but as an open back -- they are a no go. Can anyone recommend the Timeless? And, I would be really thankful, if someone can tell me how these two songs sound with the Timeless.

Current set up:

The timeless are magical with electronic music in general. You get cristal clear transparency and great bass impact at the same time. Something portable headphones can only dream of. Only portable planars will compete and then you're left with very few options (mostly discontinued ones like the Sine or the PM3 or high-end stuff like the Liric or the Stealth).

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,253 of 4,275
The timeless are magical with electronic music in general. You get cristal clear transparency and great bass impact at the same time. Something portable headphones can only dream of. Only portable planars will compete and then you're left with very few options (mostly discontinued ones like the Sine or the PM3 or high-end stuff like the Liric or the Stealth).
Agreed. I listen to electronic music almost exclusively. The primary strength of planars (both on-ear and IEM) is raw speed. I'm generally not overly concerned about perfect timbre and "real-sounding instruments", although the Timeless has fairly decent timbre overall. For electronic music, there are often many overlapping layers that create sense of space and depth, which are emphasized particularly with the Timeless. Single-DD IEMs need not apply. And hybrids suffer from coherence issues and tend to lack "believable" staging, at least to my ears, generally tending to lean more towards the "3-blob" staging pattern that I dislike.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,254 of 4,275
Interesting cable discovery.

I bought my Timeless with 4.4mm cable. Wanted 2.5mm but was out of stock. I have no problem with 4.4mm but i have 4 DAP's and only one of them has 4.4mm. Wish they all had it. But that dap also has 2.5mm. The other 3 only have 2.5mm. So I swapped cables to a Fiio LC-RC which has swappable plugs. I had only spent a couple of hours with Timeless before the cable swap. After some curiosity involving the bass response, I swapped back to the stock 4.4mm cable and immediately noticed the bass response was significantly stronger with the stock cable versus the Fiio cable. I had a Tripowin Nucool cable with 2.5mm that wasn't being used so I put that cable on the Timeless and Timeless outputs a stronger bass response with that cable versus the Fiio cable as well. So, obviously, the Fiio cable is attenuating the low end of the Timeless. I have to say that the Timeless is probably a bit more balanced with the Fiio cable but that bass is a good deal of fun. Aside from the balance, I didn't notice other differences but I would have to spend some more time with the Timeless now to know for sure.
Interesting because while I have heard differences in cables, they have generally been subtle, inlcuding differences in bass quantity. I've never heard any difference this striking before. It's easily several DB's of difference in the low end.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,257 of 4,275
Hey guys,

Current set up:

Both tracks sound good.

Note. Because Timeless has elevated mids (2k) body of the vocals and whatever else falls into that range sound a tiny bit cuppy (or plasticky or flat, Fiio FH3 really bad in that department). I'd also like to add that the combination of elevated mid-bass and less so mids along with recessed treble also means that bass kicks get drowned/suffocated out by basslines. Vocals do come through because of the elevated mids in the region affecting vocals (around 2k).

The Afrojack song for instance:
-vocals sound clear but a bit undefined and closed in, they sound colored. I like to use the analogy of speaker in a plastic cup (elevated 1-2k with recessed treble which means there's an emphasis on the body of the voice but compressed details giving you a somewhat flat presentation meaning separation suffers and stuff blends together). Good song to test tbh, not a lot going on so easy to describe what's not right. In short, separation suffers the most because the errors in tuning emphasize wrong things meaning different elements fight for space.

Both songs sound very clean and clear but there is still a veil. I use EQ with my Timeless.

This EQ was made by Oratory1990, below image explains what the issues are and what the filters do.

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_171414.jpg
    IMG_20211223_171414.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,258 of 4,275
It is so interesting how SpinFits can transform this IEM. With regular silicon tips the bass and treble are slightly boomy. Like a little v-shape.

As soon as SpinFit CP100 are used the Timeless sounds fully neutral. The differences are WAY more pronounced then cable changes.
Agreed. I've been singing the praises of the cp100 ("plus" version) for quite a while here as a perfect match for the Timeless. The CP145 are also very good, with a bit more of a V shape. Crisper highs and louder lows. I think the cp100+ are more neutral. But both are good and IMO better than all the stock offerings.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,260 of 4,275
As soon as SpinFit CP100 are used the Timeless sounds fully neutral.
Interesting, I found the treble is too sharp with spinfit cp100, cp145, sednaearfit regular and light. I am back to Radius Deep Mount which I find neutral and provide a bit forward vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back