7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jun 28, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #3,061 of 4,265
Well, at $99 they need to cut corners somewhere one assumes. Still comes down to how they sound.

They also cut corners by not including an option to buy it with a stock balanced 4.4mm cable.

And why change to using the 2 pin system instead of the MMCX that the Timeless uses? If I get a Dioko that means I'll have to buy another cable to be able to use it with my balanced sources.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #3,063 of 4,265
I have just got mine too actually and the shells aren't really cheap looking just that I prefer a design not looking like an old lady's jewelry.
Plastidip it

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #3,065 of 4,265
I am thinking those 3M "carbon fibre" tapes.
That will work too. Or if you like gunpla or plastic model, air brush will work too.

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,066 of 4,265
I have just got mine too actually and the shells aren't really cheap looking just that I prefer a design not looking like an old lady's jewelry.
How do they sound?

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #3,067 of 4,265
How do they sound?
I only have the SFR MT100 Pro, TRN Kirin and this Dioko and sicne I don't really like the MT100 Pro so I may compare the Kirin the Dioko here.

In general, without much burn-in, I find the Dioko lacking impact, there is not a lot of height in the bass region but more width and more reverb. The mid is slightly recessed so it can sound a bit weird occasionally. With my current setup there is too much treble emphasis but the clarity is indeed boosted and can be fatiguing easily. If you know what I mean, the throat voice is shifted to the lower part of the throat (not the frequency) due to the recessed mids and emphasised upper treble so the voice can get thinner.

In comparison the Kirin after 80hrs of burn-in has slightly lower clarity but similar resolution. Mid is not recessed and there is enough bass impact and bass immersion.

This is just based on my OOTB experience with the Dioko and my impression may change over time.

And and the Dioko is huge as expected.
Dioko vs Kirin.jpg

Dioko vs Kirin graph.PNG

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,068 of 4,265
I only have the SFR MT100 Pro, TRN Kirin and this Dioko and sicne I don't really like the MT100 Pro so I may compare the Kirin the Dioko here.

In general, without much burn-in, I find the Dioko lacking impact, there is not a lot of height in the bass region but more width and more reverb. The mid is slightly recessed so it can sound a bit weird occasionally. With my current setup there is too much treble emphasis but the clarity is indeed boosted and can be fatiguing easily. If you know what I mean, the throat voice is shifted to the lower part due to the recessed mids and emphasised upper treble so the voice can get thinner.

In comparison the Kirin after 80hrs of burn-in has slightly lower clarity but similar resolution. Mid is not recessed and there is enough bass impact and bass immersion.

This is just based on my OOTB experience with the Dioko and my impression may change after time.

Dioko vs Kirin.jpg
Dioko vs Kirin graph.PNG
Thanks for your initial impressions! If you have any foam eartips, can you test it with them? I find that on my 7hz Timeless, they tame the emphasized upper treble very well.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #3,069 of 4,265
Thanks for your initial impressions! If you have any foam eartips, can you test it with them? I find that on my 7hz Timeless, they tame the emphasized upper treble very well.
Sorry I don't use foam tips but I will test with different tips later. As you can see I am using CP145 which doesn't tame the treble very well.

Edit: So I tried Springtips and SpiralDots and they didn't work. Stage is killed, treble is tamed a bit so it's now less fatiguing but mid is more recessed.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #3,070 of 4,265
Sorry I don't use foam tips but I will test with different tips later. As you can see I am using CP145 which doesn't tame the treble very well.

Edit: So I tried Springtips and SpiralDots and they didn't work. Stage is killed, treble is tamed a bit so it's now less fatiguing but mid is more recessed.
It is unlikely other tips can get the same bass response and 3D staging as the CP145 so I will stick with it and do some cable rolling instead.

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #3,073 of 4,265
To be fair, too, it cost half as much as the OG Timeless, so I don't think most of us are expecting an upgrade.
In my case, it's basically my first IEM that is arount the $100 price point, considering I'm pretty new to IEMs, so I'm expecting more of a small upgrade compared to my other "priciest" IEM, which is a Moondrop Aria

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #3,074 of 4,265

In general, without much burn-in, I find the Dioko lacking impact, there is not a lot of height in the bass region but more width and more reverb. The mid is slightly recessed so it can sound a bit weird occasionally. With my current setup there is too much treble emphasis but the clarity is indeed boosted and can be fatiguing easily. If you know what I mean, the throat voice is shifted to the lower part of the throat (not the frequency) due to the recessed mids and emphasised upper treble so the voice can get thinner.

This is just based on my OOTB experience with the Dioko and my impression may change over time.

Dioko vs Kirin.jpg
Dioko vs Kirin graph.PNG
One thing I would really like to add is, with CP145, it is by far the most 3D set I have heard and no cable rolling is required to hear that quality. Clarity is also good, so if the treble can be tamed a bit and the bass can be brought up a bit this should be a real deal.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,075 of 4,265

Not much new information here, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back