7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #181 of 4,269
Just got home from 800KM today on my my Harley, ripping through the Rockies and a torrential down pour to find my Timeless in the mailbox. Just getting warmed up with them now. I must say, straight out of the box, I'm pretty impressed with them. That 14mm planar sure does move some substantial air. There's plenty of bass slam. They are no bass cannons but there's good volume for sure. Mids are perfectly present and nice shimmer in the treble with crisp clean clear cymbal strikes. I've got an IEM evaluation playlist with bit of everything on it from Dave Matthews, Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Derek Trucks, Diana Krall, Bob Marley, Massive Attack etc... and everything sounds as it should. I didn't hear that 2K spike till I got to a tune from Derek Trucks Band and there it was, A touch of splashy harshness. I replaced the the stock preinstalled tips, which are pretty bloody good, with a set of Tennmak Strong Foams and got an instant fix. The Tennmaks are great tips. They're a high Density silicone foam so they dont muddy the bass or clip the highs. They isolate very well and dont rip & tear like comply. They pairpperfectly with the Timeless.

I'm going to let them run for 150 hours before I make any more comments on them, but I think we have a winner here. I had regretted selling my P1s. Not any more!

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #182 of 4,269
The power draw of 0.12W (120mW) is quoted on numerous sources. This is from HiFiGo's page. Google "Ovidius B1 Power" for more examples

TaoBao pages selling the B1 say the same. I'm still not sure of power output but that is the advertised input, in watts.

I own one such dongle that does so. Yin Lu Mei S4. But yeah your devices battery will hate you...but that S4 device is pretty unforgiving to sets with too much airy treble like the early P1 iem.

Oh also it is prohibitively pricey:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yin-lu-mei-s4-usb-c-dac-amp.25352/

Optimally you stick to non current-dependant stuff (like Planar headphones) when using dongles. Dynamic drivers, BAs, etc.
Especially not planar full size headphones.

Daps like Ibasso dx300 have much more access to their battery to draw from. Like Ibasso here saying they have an output 2A for the dx300.

Screenshot_20210912-215647_Chrome-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #183 of 4,269
If you source device has crossfeed, maybe try it out.
Never liked crosfeed because of it narowing the stage but will give it a try.

The power draw of 0.12W (120mW) is quoted on numerous sources. This is from HiFiGo's page. Google "Ovidius B1 Power" for more examples

TaoBao pages selling the B1 say the same. I'm still not sure of power output but that is the advertised input, in watts.
Just checked the hifigo page, and they also list that in specs as "PW - 0.12W" which i would interpret as 120mW output. Though bit confusing when you read the rest of the ad.
Probably some bad auto google transaltion has a hand in to it.

Just got home from 800KM today on my my Harley, ripping through the Rockies and a torrential down pour to find my Timeless in the mailbox. Just getting warmed up with them now. I must say, straight out of the box, I'm pretty impressed with them. That 14mm planar sure does move some substantial air. There's plenty of bass slam. They are no bass cannons but there's good volume for sure. Mids are perfectly present and nice shimmer in the treble with crisp clean clear cymbal strikes. I've got an IEM evaluation playlist with bit of everything on it from Dave Matthews, Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Derek Trucks, Diana Krall, Bob Marley, Massive Attack etc... and everything sounds as it should. I didn't hear that 2K spike till I got to a tune from Derek Trucks Band and there it was, A touch of splashy harshness. I replaced the the stock preinstalled tips, which are pretty bloody good, with a set of Tennmak Strong Foams and got an instant fix. The Tennmaks are great tips. They're a high Density silicone foam so they dont muddy the bass or clip the highs. They isolate very well and dont rip & tear like comply. They pairpperfectly with the Timeless.

I'm going to let them run for 150 hours before I make any more comments on them, but I think we have a winner here. I had regretted selling my P1s. Not any more!
Now thats some nice thing to come home to :).
Whats the track from Derek Trucks Band? Im curios to hear how it would sound to me.
Also youre tempting me getting the tennmak tips, have had them in my wishlist for couple of years now, they feel like an old friend i never met :). Really dislike foam for the inconvenience of being unable to put them in quick.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #184 of 4,269
Yes, it was a beautiful surprise to come home to. That Derek Trucks track is "Volunteered Slavery" from the Album "Songlines" - an unbeleieveably musical and technical album. As for those Tennmak Strong Foams. Just get them; I promise you will not be disappointed - it's time for you to meet that old friend! Literally everyone I have shared them with has loved them and thanked me for the share. There are a few prominent Head-Fiers here in Vancouver to whom I've given a pair to try and they all became purchasing customers. And no, I'm not shilling them. I too am a paying customer, albeit an enthusiastic one!

I just posted this on the Ali Express Store as a short review for the Timeless and thought I'd share it here too:
The 7Hz Timeless is an OUTSTANDING IEM at any price. When you read the reviews, believe them. I've got a sizeable collection of IEMS ranging from $600 to $1500 and this Timeless Planar at $200 has come into my collection and will remain as a timeless classic. The amount of Bass is astounding for a non-hybrid single planar unit and the highs are well articulated, crisp ,clear and sparkly - cymbal crashes are perfect and they produce all the lucious mids to connect the highs and lows as only a planar can. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. There have been reports about the spike at 2-3KHz and I can confirm, yes it is there on certain tracks BUT after about 10 hours it tames a bit and putting a set Tennmak Strong Foam tips on instantly removed it without any EQ while bringing a little more weight to the bass without clipping the highs. It's a perfect pairing. I know the subject of "Burn-In" is a controversial one and triggers all kinds of reactions. So, Let me say this: in the past 24months I've spent over $3000 looking for the ultimate planar. I've had the Tin P1, oBravo Cupid, IMR EDP, IMR RAH, IMR Elysium and now this Timeless. The RAH is exquisite but it is a tribrid so cant be fairly compared and it's $750. This Timeless is now the king Planar on my books. Back to the subject of Burn-in and Planars. With the experience I have with many planars, every single one of them have benefitted from burn-in up to and beyond 150 hours. The bass develops getting both more textured and richer, the mids get more full and treble extends while smoothing out. I have no reason not to expect the same from these. If they sound this good out of the box, I predict I will not ever sell these. As for comfort they fit me perfectly and they lay flat in the ear. I slept perfectly with them in my ears last night. To say an IEM punches way above it's weight is extremely cliche, but I'll say that about these 7Hz here. They are very good out of the box and with time I fully expect them to be OUTSTANDING.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #186 of 4,269
Oh no, i dont think you experienced the peak truly yet, that track sound like childs play to me regarding the peaks :).
Try with this one at the timestamp its set. 5 seconds to warm you up and it starts.

Ok, let's make sure we have our language synchronized. What is being described as 2-3 KHz peak, I would call harsh and splashy. Are we talking the same language? I played that track with three different sets of tips: Azla Sedna, Tennmak Whirlwind and Tennmak Foam. With both the the Sedan and Whirlwind (both wide bore silicone) I got that harsh and splashy upper end. The foams definitely tamed it. I'll come back to this track again in 100 or so hours with the other 2 tips and see what happens. I predict that it will even out - this has been my experience with planars thus far, but time will tell whether it holds true for these. We'll keep in touch on this.....

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #187 of 4,269
Ok, let's make sure we have our language synchronized. What is being described as 2-3 KHz peak, I would call harsh and splashy. Are we talking the same language? I played that track with three different sets of tips: Azla Sedna, Tennmak Whirlwind and Tennmak Foam. With both the the Sedan and Whirlwind (both wide bore silicone) I got that harsh and splashy upper end. The foams definitely tamed it. I'll come back to this track again in 100 or so hours with the other 2 tips and see what happens. I predict that it will even out - this has been my experience with planars thus far, but time will tell whether it holds true for these. We'll keep in touch on this.....
I would use harsh or piercing to describe the sensation, but splashy seems to fit also for this piece. So were pretty much on the same track regarding this.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #188 of 4,269
BTW, just measured the stock cable(3.5mm). While resistance is pretty good 0.2 Ohms(dont have miliohm meter for more precise numbers), the capacitance is ridiculously high compared to any other cable i have. 460 pF. Ive been taught that good cables have not more than 30pF per foot, and cables i frequently use have around 100pF or less for the full length(4 feet).
Interesting, I'd never thought to look at capacitance of cables. I typically use the usual 4- or 8-core braided style cables that seem to be popular with audiophiles. Looking at how the Timeless stock cable is constructed, I'd guess it's probably a coaxial design, with the positive wire inside a sheath of negative wire. That might be responsible for the capacitance.

What effect does this have on the sound though?

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #190 of 4,269
Interesting, I'd never thought to look at capacitance of cables. I typically use the usual 4- or 8-core braided style cables that seem to be popular with audiophiles. Looking at how the Timeless stock cable is constructed, I'd guess it's probably a coaxial design, with the positive wire inside a sheath of negative wire. That might be responsible for the capacitance.

What effect does this have on the sound though?
No idea, why i said id be curious to hear what people think if they compare. Havent actually listened to the stock cable, and not trying for the time being because of the bit looser mmcx i have on one side of the iem. Dont trust mmcx yet, 2 pin guy up until now.
Maybe ill play with it at some later point when i feel more comfortable.
While resistance would attenuate or boost whole range, or some frequencies more some less(depending on driver characteristics), cant say from experience what will capacitance do, as didnt have any samples to compare with that large difference before. Inductance is another measurable value, so that will also play a role, though dont have any means to measure that at this moment, should be getting a meter for that in next few months i think.
I have one DIY twisted unshielded copper cable made that is noticeably and undoubtedly darker than everything else i have, which has low capacitance, so maybe inductance has it behaving that way. I can only speculate at this point until i get the meter.

So if i would be comparing cables and would like the whole picture, i would measure those 3 values(not only resistance) instead of attributing magic properties to different metals, electrons dont discriminate as far as i know :).
Say i find something that sounds way different i would measure those 3 values, then compare 2 that sound the same and their values to get the whole picture. And with large enough sample size one can start getting to conclusions.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #191 of 4,269
Yes, it was a beautiful surprise to come home to. That Derek Trucks track is "Volunteered Slavery" from the Album "Songlines" - an unbeleieveably musical and technical album. As for those Tennmak Strong Foams. Just get them; I promise you will not be disappointed - it's time for you to meet that old friend! Literally everyone I have shared them with has loved them and thanked me for the share. There are a few prominent Head-Fiers here in Vancouver to whom I've given a pair to try and they all became purchasing customers. And no, I'm not shilling them. I too am a paying customer, albeit an enthusiastic one!

I just posted this on the Ali Express Store as a short review for the Timeless and thought I'd share it here too:
The 7Hz Timeless is an OUTSTANDING IEM at any price. When you read the reviews, believe them. I've got a sizeable collection of IEMS ranging from $600 to $1500 and this Timeless Planar at $200 has come into my collection and will remain as a timeless classic. The amount of Bass is astounding for a non-hybrid single planar unit and the highs are well articulated, crisp ,clear and sparkly - cymbal crashes are perfect and they produce all the lucious mids to connect the highs and lows as only a planar can. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. There have been reports about the spike at 2-3KHz and I can confirm, yes it is there on certain tracks BUT after about 10 hours it tames a bit and putting a set Tennmak Strong Foam tips on instantly removed it without any EQ while bringing a little more weight to the bass without clipping the highs. It's a perfect pairing. I know the subject of "Burn-In" is a controversial one and triggers all kinds of reactions. So, Let me say this: in the past 24months I've spent over $3000 looking for the ultimate planar. I've had the Tin P1, oBravo Cupid, IMR EDP, IMR RAH, IMR Elysium and now this Timeless. The RAH is exquisite but it is a tribrid so cant be fairly compared and it's $750. This Timeless is now the king Planar on my books. Back to the subject of Burn-in and Planars. With the experience I have with many planars, every single one of them have benefitted from burn-in up to and beyond 150 hours. The bass develops getting both more textured and richer, the mids get more full and treble extends while smoothing out. I have no reason not to expect the same from these. If they sound this good out of the box, I predict I will not ever sell these. As for comfort they fit me perfectly and they lay flat in the ear. I slept perfectly with them in my ears last night. To say an IEM punches way above it's weight is extremely cliche, but I'll say that about these 7Hz here. They are very good out of the box and with time I fully expect them to be OUTSTANDING.
I don't suppose you'd be able to compare the Timeless to the TRI I3/I3pro if you've heard them at all?
The only ones you've mentioned there (that's quite a collection btw, I got envy) that I have are the EDP's, which I absolutely love, they're my best set, but even with the bassiest nozzle set-up they are the tiniest bit soft and lacking quantity in the sub-bass region (I do mean tiny), and I'm considering either the i3 pro, or the Timeless as my next upgrade.
I was also looking at the IMR Elan, as it's currently a good price, but it's not got a planar, and even as reduced as it is it's still outside my budget no matter how hard I wrangle the numbers!
I've seen a couple of reviews that really hammered the Timeless, but I've also read a lot of "meh" reviews of the GK10, yet I absolutely love the ones I got, sooo...🤷🏻‍♂️

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #192 of 4,269
I don't suppose you'd be able to compare the Timeless to the TRI I3/I3pro if you've heard them at all?
I have the TRI I3 since a few weeks and now since a few days the Timelass too. The Tri is warmer/bassier but the Timeless seems to be a little more exact. Some reviewers have written that the soundstage of the Timeless was more or less non existant. Not for me: I do not feel it missing with the Timeless compared to the TRI I3, but I hear no depth that is true.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #193 of 4,269

Love reading your opinion as always, by the way their 7hz i99 and i88mini are superb headphones as well, i88mini could be for many the ultimate daily driver, size wise they are hard to beat, i really appreciate that pair

Now here comes the big question… how would it play against the edp… im considering em… don’t know yet… I’m just buying 3 more iems this year, Avalon, fd7 and waiting for dunu titan revision, but this could play for that last spot.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #194 of 4,269
Love reading your opinion as always, by the way their 7hz i99 and i88mini are superb headphones as well, i88mini could be for many the ultimate daily driver, size wise they are hard to beat, i really appreciate that pair
Now here comes the big question… how would it play against the edp… im considering em… don’t know yet… I’m just buying 3 more iems this year, Avalon, fd7 and waiting for dunu titan revision, but this could play for that last spot.
Thanks for that, yes we've had some lively discussions over on the IMR thread. I'll look into that i88.
It's a few months since I've heard the EDP. I sold it to fund the Elysium and instantly regretted selling it. It was certainly the most Bass Light of the entire IMR line up but we all agreed it was supremely fluid & effortless with a beautiful timbre and possibly the best reproducer of drums.
I think in comparison, the Timeless is not as laidback as the EDP its more forward or perhaps the best descriptor in non audiophile terms would be intentional. Every thing is right there from bass, lower and upper mids up into the treble. I'd call it a W signature. It's not the widest stage but not narrow either. In my opinion, it's better IEM but that just means it matches my preferences better. I loved the EDP and Love these more. More comfortable, more isolationg, more bass, more treble extension. I've only got about 20 hours on them and I know they will develop further with the fullness of time. As far as I'm concerned, these are the bargain of the decade - like most IEMs, tips make a huge difference. For now, I've settled on the Tennmak Foams. Azla Crystals should be showing up in a few days. I'm hopeful for them too.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #195 of 4,269
The only ones you've mentioned there (that's quite a collection btw, I got envy) that I have are the EDP's, which I absolutely love, they're my best set, but even with the bassiest nozzle set-up they are the tiniest bit soft and lacking quantity in the sub-bass region (I do mean tiny), and I'm considering either the i3 pro, or the Timeless as my next upgrade.
I was also looking at the IMR Elan, as it's currently a good price, but it's not got a planar, and even as reduced as it is it's still outside my budget no matter how hard I wrangle the numbers!
I've seen a couple of reviews that really hammered the Timeless, but I've also read a lot of "meh" reviews of the GK10, yet I absolutely love the ones I got, sooo...🤷🏻‍♂️
Hey @Q Mass another IMR EDP Buddy! see my post just preceeding this one to you. I loved the EDP but prefer this Timeless to it. I havent heard either of the Tri i3s so I cant comment. At the time I bought the EDP, i was tossed up between it and the Tri. I am happy with the Timeless. Really happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back