7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,486 of 4,269
The Ace also has a bone conduction motor. If it is a improved EDP I'm all in.

The Zenith is intriguing with the big DD + Piezo but the fit probably is terrible like the OG. These days I rarely use them due to fit but since I have new cables I'll give it a try again.

Yeah, I caught the Bone Conduction and updated the post. That zenith is intriguing. I also had the OG but didnt hang on to it long I swapped it out for the RAH which was my next IMR and I've really enjoyed it. I like it so much I bought 2, 1 I kept as the original Universal while I had the 2nd converted to a CIEM. When I heard the Custom I was pleased with the result so I released the original.
Bob has tweaked the shells. The OG Red, was extremely comfortable and I could even sleep in it. Was one of the best single DD I ever heard. This EDP ACE is going to the bomb with that new Dynamic in it with original planar and a bone conduction it'll be a wow. and at this price it's a steal. The CA Vega is a single 10mm ADLC and they're asking $900 for it. This new EDP really could be an end point for me, at least for a while.

It's very interesting, we've been watching the price hikes escalate over the last few years with a bit of chifi increasing the law of diminishing returns - this timeless changed the game for me. It's not Summit Level but it's one of the most consistently satisfying IEMs in my rotation. In addition to what's in my signature, I'm also sitting on the Aladin, DT600 and GS Audio SE 12 at the moment, but I keep coming back to the timeless. I have a sneaking suspicion, EDP Ace will replace it.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,487 of 4,269
Yeah, I caught the Bone Conduction and updated the post. That zenith is intriguing. I also had the OG but didnt hang on to it long I swapped it out for the RAH which was my next IMR and I've really enjoyed it. I like it so much I bought 2, 1 I kept as the original Universal while I had the 2nd converted to a CIEM. When I heard the Custom I was pleased with the result so I released the original.
Bob has tweaked the shells. The OG Red, was extremely comfortable and I could even sleep in it. Was one of the best single DD I ever heard. This EDP ACE is going to the bomb with that new Dynamic in it with original planar and a bone conduction it'll be a wow. and at this price it's a steal. The CA Vega is a single 10mm ADLC and they're asking $900 for it. This new EDP really could be an end point for me, at least for a while.

It's very interesting, we've been watching the price hikes escalate over the last few years with a bit of chifi increasing the law of diminishing returns - this timeless changed the game for me. It's not Summit Level but it's one of the most consistently satisfying IEMs in my rotation. In addition to what's in my signature, I'm also sitting on the Aladin, DT600 and GS Audio SE 12 at the moment, but I keep coming back to the timeless. I have a sneaking suspicion, EDP Ace will replace it.
The EDP is a bargain, i just love it and it fits beautifully. If the Ace has the same fit with the addition of bone conduction motors it could bring a great amount of details.

The Timeless is bargain as well. The clarity and the amount the details you get at this price point is amazing. It sounds incredibly well with live music.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,488 of 4,269
Interesting actually how and why it happens. I for example use fiio fd 5 cable that is also high quality cooper plated silver litz type and for me it is really good sounding makes timeless more balanced clear and bass tight ( for my ears) so another fiio cable should also work good but this bass correction doesnt sound good. Or could be good only for some
Almost has me thinking that the + and - was swapped on one channel which would put the iems out of phase but I'm pretty sure I'd hear more than just the bass attenuation if that were the case. I'll check the cable over again when I get a chance. Fablestruck would have heard the attenuation that I did if it was just inherent to the LC-RC.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,489 of 4,269
EDIT: I just went back and re-read the decription, there's also a bone condiction driver in there. Very early in this timeless thread one of the things I wrote, was that if 7Hz took the current timeless and added BC to it, I'd buy the first one. I may not be first in line but I'm number 14 for the EDP!
#40 here.

Love my Timeless, obviously. But always looking to try something new. Just wish the EDP was MMCX so I could roll some cables.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,490 of 4,269
Open question for you guys: what's the point of adding an additional transducer on top of a planar since nobody does that on flagship planar headphones? (actually I just noticed that IMR does propose a similar closed-back headphone design but they're the only one to my knowledge)
It sounds like a marketing gimmick to me but I might be wrong, I still have to hear hybrid designs.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #1,491 of 4,269
Mine arrived today. I got the 2.5mm balanced cable.

They sound fantastic to me right out of the box. I have been listening for about 3 hours and fit is great.

Using Azla SednaEarfit XELASTEC and once seated I never have had to fiddle with them.

Without any unforeseen circumstances, these are a keeper for me.
T2.jpg

T1.jpg

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,492 of 4,269
Almost has me thinking that the + and - was swapped on one channel which would put the iems out of phase but I'm pretty sure I'd hear more than just the bass attenuation if that were the case. I'll check the cable over again when I get a chance. Fablestruck would have heard the attenuation that I did if it was just inherent to the LC-RC.
There's a polarity check on audiotest.net.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #1,493 of 4,269
Open question for you guys: what's the point of adding an additional transducer on top of a planar since nobody does that on flagship planar headphones? (actually I just noticed that IMR does propose a similar closed-back headphone design but they're the only one to my knowledge)
It sounds like a marketing gimmick to me but I might be wrong, I still have to hear hybrid designs.
It's worth noting that nobody really does that on flagship dynamic driver headphones either, hybrid or multi-driver designs in over-ears are a very niche thing, I can think only of a handful of examples, and most of these are not high-end (like the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear).

Whether there are benefits from introducing a planar into a hybrid IEM I don't know, there are very few planar IEMs to start with and from what I read this one is arguably the first one that actually has an acceptable frequency response without EQ. Audeze for some of their planar IEMs sells them with active DSP cables, the FR is so off.

All the lower end hybrids (KZ) I have are problematic, even the new ZEX Pro. They have big problems with coherency and peakiness in the treble. I think single drivers work better up to a certain pricepoint, maybe around the pricepoint of the Timeless. Basically everything really well reviewed sub-$150 or so is a single dynamic driver, and my own experience backs that up, stuff like the Blon BL-03, Tin T2 Plus, Moondrop Aria/Starfield, these are better than the hybrid stuff from the likes of KZ.

But when you go high enough, higher end IEMs are really dominated by hybrids (and now, tribrids), virtually all the top-ranked IEMs from most reviewers are hybrids. I have a couple of mid/higher-end Moondrops, the Blessing 2 Dusk (1DD 4BA) and the Variations (1DD 2BA 2EST), and they genuinely are very good. I'd put those two, with the Timeless, as easily my three best IEMs. So I don't think multiple drivers in an IEM is inherently marketing, the higher-end multi-driver stuff really is great. But whether a planar can benefit from a hybrid design I don't know, the Timeless does have already a level of detail that is closer to these multi-driver sets than single-DD stuff I have.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #1,494 of 4,269
I'm currently using a Tripowin Altea (2.5mm balanced). I had no issue with the stock cable but it's 4.4mm. 2.5mm is compatible with all my portable devices while 4.4mm isn't so I swapped cables.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/tripowin-altea-cable
Thanx for the info. I'll check it out.
Though I do believe the Timeless performs better with balanced I have also a Chord Mojo as a laptop USB DAC which has only 3,5 ports.
So I always have to take this into account when buying cables. I would also agree that the Fiio with the interchangeable ending is great in that respect.
Now keep in mind that my opinion about its bass performance is subjective and short-term, so don't take my word for it just yet.
As I said, I am still experimenting.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #1,496 of 4,269
It's worth noting that nobody really does that on flagship dynamic driver headphones either, hybrid or multi-driver designs in over-ears are a very niche thing, I can think only of a handful of examples, and most of these are not high-end (like the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear).

Whether there are benefits from introducing a planar into a hybrid IEM I don't know, there are very few planar IEMs to start with and from what I read this one is arguably the first one that actually has an acceptable frequency response without EQ. Audeze for some of their planar IEMs sells them with active DSP cables, the FR is so off.

All the lower end hybrids (KZ) I have are problematic, even the new ZEX Pro. They have big problems with coherency and peakiness in the treble. I think single drivers work better up to a certain pricepoint, maybe around the pricepoint of the Timeless. Basically everything really well reviewed sub-$150 or so is a single dynamic driver, and my own experience backs that up, stuff like the Blon BL-03, Tin T2 Plus, Moondrop Aria/Starfield, these are better than the hybrid stuff from the likes of KZ.

But when you go high enough, higher end IEMs are really dominated by hybrids (and now, tribrids), virtually all the top-ranked IEMs from most reviewers are hybrids. I have a couple of mid/higher-end Moondrops, the Blessing 2 Dusk (1DD 4BA) and the Variations (1DD 2BA 2EST), and they genuinely are very good. I'd put those two, with the Timeless, as easily my three best IEMs. So I don't think multiple drivers in an IEM is inherently marketing, the higher-end multi-driver stuff really is great. But whether a planar can benefit from a hybrid design I don't know, the Timeless does have already a level of detail that is closer to these multi-driver sets than single-DD stuff I have.
Thanks for your feedback, very interesting. I agree with you that the timeless already have a very cohesive frequency response and nice detail retrieval to start with, so the benefit of an additional transducer doesn't seem very obvious. But it's worth noting that IMR mentions using the dynamic driver specifically for bass duties, which is probably for people who want the impact from a dynamic driver.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,497 of 4,269
I am giving the Spinfit CP100 a go right now.

Pretty tough to get on, but once on I think they won't fall off.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,498 of 4,269
Mine arrived today. I got the 2.5mm balanced cable.

They sound fantastic to me right out of the box. I have been listening for about 3 hours and fit is great.

Using Azla SednaEarfit XELASTEC and once seated I never have had to fiddle with them.

Without any unforeseen circumstances, these are a keeper for me.
T2.jpg

T1.jpg
Good for you to get the balanced option.
After A/Bing mine using balanced vs unbalanced ports on my M11 there was a definite
even if subtle comparatively 'fullness' and 'refinement' factor present with the balanced setting.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,499 of 4,269
Good for you to get the balanced option.
After A/Bing mine using balanced vs unbalanced ports on my M11 there was a definite
even if subtle comparatively 'fullness' and 'refinement' factor present with the balanced setting.

Whether or not they sound better balanced, all depends on the topology of what ever amp or dap you are playing them from.

In my case, I am using Hiby R3 and balanced is the best option.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,500 of 4,269
Whether or not they sound better balanced, all depends on the topology of what ever amp or dap you are playing them from.

In my case, I am using Hiby R3 and balanced is the best option.
Well, that's the case with the M11 from my experience.
Of course, it remains to be seen how they fair on my Chord Mojo (3.5 port but powerful as a source).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back