780 mod question
Jul 9, 2008 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
Sort of curious....has anyone tried removing the plastic grille cover over the drivers, behind the cloth covering of the inside of the enclosure? Seems like they'd reflect a lot of the sound back into the phone itself, causing cancellation and resonance issues....although I could be completely wrong.

(No, my head is not as greasy as it appears in the pics...I have leather conditioner soaking into the GM-quality leather pads these things come with...ugh).

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 7
I really doubt it is interfering with the sound as much as you might think. Plus, taking it out will make the diaphragm that much more vulnerable. Have you ever seen the grill on the Beyers? Metal shaped cap with tiny holes but it doesn't seem to interfere considering the typical SQ and sound sig of the Beyers.

My .02.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really doubt it is interfering with the sound as much as you might think. Plus, taking it out will make the diaphragm that much more vulnerable. Have you ever seen the grill on the Beyers? Metal shaped cap with tiny holes but it doesn't seem to interfere considering the typical SQ and sound sig of the Beyers.

My .02.

Hm, interesting. Given how very small mods seem to make big differences, I wasn't sure if that'd do anything or not.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm not saying it wouldn't make a difference, I just doubt it. I don't have a current pair in my shop to look but if it is a reversible mod, give it a try and report back. It is easy to take the mount off. Remove the earpads and the screws holding it down and you are in. If memory serves though, I think the grill is molded into the plastic mount. But definitely don't go by my memory alone.
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 7
How do the earpads come off? I tried tugging them directly off earlier, but they didn't want to slide off and I wasn't trying to break anything, heh.

Like you said though, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be reversible as the grille looks like it's an integral part of something, rather than just a screen glued on.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Ofcourse it "inteferes", but the question is will the change in sound resulting from removing the cloth improve the sound or just change it.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the earpads come off? I tried tugging them directly off earlier, but they didn't want to slide off and I wasn't trying to break anything, heh.

Like you said though, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be reversible as the grille looks like it's an integral part of something, rather than just a screen glued on.

if you read the manual come with the package you'll know how to open the earcushion...
biggrin.gif

first, hold the pads with three fingers or more, slowly stretch em' out from the body (you'll know what i've mean when you try it) until all off the circle release from it...do the reverse IF you want to put the earcushion back in, you'll find it more difficult then removing em' at the first time...but with patience and practicing, you'll get used to it, just like i do...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back