76th Oscars
Mar 1, 2004 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

SteeleBlayde

1000+ Head-Fier
Watching them right now! Its so hard for the other movies when they're competing with the Lord of the Rings. And I'm wondering about those short films, never see those at video rentals...

Nice to see that Annie Lennox is still around. And Angelina Jolie is absolutely gorgeous, she looks better as she gets older.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 31
Unfortunately, I don't think was any competition in the Animated Film category either. Finding Nemo probably annihilated the competitors...

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by stealthassassin
I believe that Bill Murray should have won for Lost in Translation, his performance was amazing

Yes, it is a pity -- I don't think Sean Penn is nearly as good.

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 31
Yea, I would have liked for Seabiscuit to have won something...but honestly, it could have been a much better movie than it was.

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 31
The Hobbits had it coming. This was a rare instance where Hollywood truly acknowledged previous mistakes (with the first two LOTR movies) and made up for it with all of these awards, which, of course, were for the series as a whole. Kudos! These were the greatest adventure epics of our time, or any time, and might never be equalled again.
I did feel a little bad for Bill Murray though, he was great in Lost In Translation. I wouldnt say that Sean Penn was undeserving though.

JC

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 31
Its so hard with these things when practically everyone there is deserving. Picking the winner means that there is always a loser, but its just about remembering that everyone that participated was great too.

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

I believe that Bill Murray should have won for Lost in Translation, his performance was amazing

Quote:

Yes, it is a pity -- I don't think Sean Penn is nearly as good.

I was schoked to see that Bill Murray did not win as best actor. His performance in Lost In Translation was one that none of the other actors could compete with. It is a crime and shame that Sean Penn won, although he is a terrific actor IMHO I do not think that his performance in Mystic River was even on par with Bill Murray's. Whens Bill Murray was robbed, I was surprised to see him keep his composure as well as he did, but anyone could see that his heart was broken tonight. I feel for you Bill...

Mar 1, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 31
I am so 'over' the whole LOTR crap. I saw the 3rd installment last week and was disappointed to a degree. I was sorry to see such a sweep at the Oscars. Oh, well. I'm glad it's all over now.

I love Sophia Coppola. She seems genuinely unassuming, and uncomfortable in the spotlight, despite her 'Hollywood' upbringing. I am very glad she won, even if Bill Murray didn't.

I thought the musical performances were quite good. Especially Allison Kraus (with Sting for one song, and with Elvis Costello for the other). She was AMAZING! Annie Lennox was wonderful to, but not quite the best I've seen from her (but still quite good), and her song was for LOTR
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
The Hobbits had it coming. This was a rare instance where Hollywood truly acknowledged previous mistakes (with the first two LOTR movies) and made up for it with all of these awards, which, of course, were for the series as a whole. Kudos! These were the greatest adventure epics of our time, or any time, and might never be equalled again.

After seeing the first LotR movie, I knew that the *third* movie was going to win the Oscar (assuming that the other two stayed just as good). With LotR, you knew that two more movies were coming - the first wasn't the completion to the story. For instance, the Godfather was part of a trilogy, but the first movie can stand on its own as an independent work.

I don't think it's any crime that the first two didn't win Best Picture or Director - one is enough for the entire series, in my mind.

Mar 1, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

I love Sophia Coppola. She seems genuinely unassuming, and uncomfortable in the spotlight, despite her 'Hollywood' upbringing. I am very glad she won, even if Bill Murray didn't.

Yes I totally agree with you on Sophia Coppola. Sophia is a very talented director and screenwriter and she seems to be a very down to earth, genuine person despite her Hollywood upbrining. But, I still can not get over the fact that BIll Murray did not win for his amazing, dare say "perfect", performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back