7502 or SR60 or ???
May 27, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has commented on the 7502's. Are those not regarded very well around here?

The 7502 has it's place in broadcast applications. Not in Music. They have a permanent 60hz HP filter. That means absolutely zero Sub-Bass. Most Electronica, Hip-Hop, and alot of Rock have alot going on below 60Hz.
They also are limited at the top.
The Sony MDR-7502 are garbage for Music.
Look elsewhere in the MDR line for Music...
7506 (circum-aural) or 7505 (supra-aural)
7509 are Ok too, but not as good as the 7506 IMHO
V900ST are also a completely uncolored studio version.
BTW....Even the Sony V150 & V250 have better frequency response than MDR-7502.

May 27, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 7502 has it's place in broadcast applications. Not in Music. They have a permanent 60hz HP filter. That means absolutely zero Sub-Bass. Most Electronica, Hip-Hop, and alot of Rock have alot going on below 60Hz.
They also are limited at the top.
The Sony MDR-7502 are garbage for Music.
Look elsewhere in the MDR line for Music...
7506 (circum-aural) or 7505 (supra-aural)
7509 are Ok too, but not as good as the 7506 IMHO
V900ST are also a completely uncolored studio version.
BTW....Even the Sony V150 & V250 have better frequency response than MDR-7502.

Great info. Any suggestions in this price range?

May 27, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #18 of 25
....For $50-$60...ummmmmmm.......

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-Pro5MS...
...they not accurate at all (way too much bass)
...but that's exactly why I keep them around.
basshead.gif

ATH-PRO5MS make other phones(which are often referred to as Bass heavy on Head-Fi) anemic by comparison.
Search around and they'll be under $60

I never heard the Grados, but the Grado line (except GS1000) has humps around 2-3Khz, which are the irritating frequencies to humans (I guess that's why they sound so perfectly nasty for rock)

Also, if you save another $30, for $90 you can get the MDR-7506, which is one of the most popular tracking phones in any studio (much more popular than the MDR-7509)

May 27, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Are the MS-1's THAT much better?

YES INDEED!! they are!!

I hace one pair of those, and they are brilliant almost with all kinds of music, you wont regret a cent - in fact, they will be the best 99$ you could ever spend in music!
smily_headphones1.gif

Try to search something in here by MS-1, you'll see everybody round here just loves them - and be sure, it's not for nothing...
biggrin.gif

Cheers man, and go for those - as we here use to say, with MS-1, you can't go wrong!

May 28, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 25
The MS-1's sound nice. I see the SR-60's for sale quite a bit here. Is it because that is what most people get for an introductory headphone, and then move on from there? Or is it that people get them, and then realize they don't like them?

I guess if it helps, I'll tell you what I listen to most. I'm a bass player of 18 years (lots of studio work, and lots of gigging and touring), and I listen to a lot of bass (electric and upright) heavy music. Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, etc. I also listen to a lot of power-pop (Owsley, Tears For Fears, etc). And occasionally the old metal guy in me likes to make an appearance, but mostly it's the jazz/bass stuff.

I guess I wouldn't need a headphone that is overly bassy because the stuff I listen to has the bass mixed up front to start with, so would the SR-60's work for that?

May 28, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

The MS-1's sound nice. I see the SR-60's for sale quite a bit here. Is it because that is what most people get for an introductory headphone, and then move on from there? Or is it that people get them, and then realize they don't like them?

It's because lots and lots of people own them.

May 28, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

I guess if it helps, I'll tell you what I listen to most. I'm a bass player of 18 years (lots of studio work, and lots of gigging and touring), and I listen to a lot of bass (electric and upright) heavy music. Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, etc. I also listen to a lot of power-pop (Owsley, Tears For Fears, etc). And occasionally the old metal guy in me likes to make an appearance, but mostly it's the jazz/bass stuff.

I guess I wouldn't need a headphone that is overly bassy because the stuff I listen to has the bass mixed up front to start with, so would the SR-60's work for that?

Why is there a lot of SR-60 for sale? I dunno. And since I have never even heard SR-60 I suspect I don't really have a right to comment. But in comparison to MS-1, there is a lot of good stuff to consider if the phone purchase is intended to be more serious than just an entry level model, as you suggest may be the case.

The sound is a bit different, but the materials make the biggest difference. The SR-60 has a three conductor cable while the MS-1 has four conductor unit with a choice of 1/8" or 1/4" connector. The MS-1 also has the same materials used as the more expensive SR-125 but while the materials are the same, the drivers are specific to Alessandro and give a wider range to the music presented. As I think I understand it; the bass is quite similar between the two and is presented rather naturally with clean accurate bass rather than the boomy variety.

The sound is entirely subjective of course between the two, but these are a few other things to consider from a materials standpoint which may have some bearing.

May 28, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Well, I think the reason is the one you gave! a lot of people buy them every year - mainly as entry level (you can see that if you digg here) and some time then they "have" the need to evolve, you get the rest..

Well! i'm a music myself too (but in piano..), so I think I understand what you say when you talk in those terms - if I where you, having in mind what you said, I would go for MS-1 - the strings (all of them) sound really really well (particularly well) in alessandros headphones - in fact, he is sort of a string music devices developer, go around his site www.alessandro-products.com/ and take a look, I think you'll like!

Cheers man!

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 25
I am just now having my first opportunity to listen to the 7502 because a friend wants me to recable them. Simply put, I will recommend new cans not a new cable. These things are really lousy. It's like listening to music through a wool scarf. It's hard to understand how something can have no highs to speak of, and yet sound splashy and sibilant at the same time. Dreadful.

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #25 of 25
I ended up with the SR-60's. I've had them for about a week and a half, and I like them a lot. Very nice upper mid response. In some genres they seem a little light in the bass, but not by much. I have found them absolutely delightful with acoustic music (Michael Hedges), and really nice with Robert Walter's stuff (organ funk). I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back