7502 or SR60 or ???
May 24, 2007 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

GrooveWarrior

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend $50 to $60 on a set of headphones to use when I travel, and for my small home recording studio.

I had some Sony 7502's when I was a teen (15 years ago), and thought them to be pretty good for the price. I know I can get a used pair of Grado SR60's for about the same price.

Which one would I be better off with, or is there something altogether better that I am missing? You guys are way more "in the know" than I am, so I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks

May 24, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 25
Equation RP-15mc is in that neighborhood too, as well as audio-technica ath-sj5.

And, fwiw, you can get a new SR-60 for around that price, especially if it's your first order from TTVJ.

May 24, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 25
The K26p is pretty boomy from all acounts - the K81DJ is the preferred AKG in that formfactor, so i hear.

The PX100 is popular but it's kinda like an expensive, less fun, headbanded KSC75. I think you pay a lot for what you get, but, I think that about nearly everything sennheiser sells.

At $35 a px100 is pretty good. At $50 not so much.

May 25, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 25
ksc75s....i sold grado 225s and sen 595s because they couldn't match 75s with acoustic guitar...sure they are all around way better, but i couldn't justify the price difference. not much for low bass, but the mids and treble are awesome.

May 25, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Equation RP-15mc is in that neighborhood too, as well as audio-technica ath-sj5.

And, fwiw, you can get a new SR-60 for around that price, especially if it's your first order from TTVJ.

The equations look a little big. The AT's look nice.

May 25, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The equations look a little big. The AT's look nice.

Inkmo has both the RP-15mc and the ATH-SJ5, so he can give you a better idea how they compare with eachother.

He did comment that the RP-15mc folds up into a smaller "headphone ball" than the SJ5.

May 25, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to spend $50 to $60 on a set of headphones to use when I travel, and for my small home recording studio.

I had some Sony 7502's when I was a teen (15 years ago), and thought them to be pretty good for the price. I know I can get a used pair of Grado SR60's for about the same price.

Which one would I be better off with, or is there something altogether better that I am missing? You guys are way more "in the know" than I am, so I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Why not add more 30 $ and get the almighty MS-1??
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 25
I've listened to the AKG K81DJ...way too bassy for my tastes, I would not recommend them for monitoring.

Look into the Sony MDR-V6, they run for $69 and I think they'll be a much better match for using in the studio and outdoors (ie. when travelling). The few extra bucks are worth it.

I've never heard the 7502's, I've always wondering where most of the 7500 series (7502, 7505, 7509) stand in terms of sound.

FYI: the V6's I recommended are identical to the 7506's. Same headphone, same design, same sound. The V6's are marketed for the consumer market, the 7506's are marketed towards the professional audio market.

Linky to the V6: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Mo...0096895&sr=1-1

$66 with free shipping, you can't beat that.

Here's some of my thoughts on the V6/7506's:

Pro's:

Good sound: good bass, typically a little bright.
Very analytical which is great for a frame of reference (if a recording of yours is fubar, you'll know with these cans, they don't disguise anything)
Comfortable with the beyer pads (read below)
Last forever, very popular in studio's for monitoring

Con's:

Damn coiled cord makes them a hassle to walk with sometimes
Can be a little on the bright side for my tastes

Overall, they are a great affordable closed headphone. I highly recommend them.

It's a worthwhile headphone and yes, they are indestructible. I've owned my 7506's for 6 years and they are still going just fine. By the way, the earpads can be replaced with beyerdynamic dt250 velour pads (do a search here on head-fi for a walk through). Hope that helps.

May 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Open headphones are not ideal for travel until you get to the hotel. If you're set on open headphones for travel, then the iGrados sound just as good as the SR-60s and are way more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back