701's dont have much bass should I wait for burn-in?
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

olblueyez

Banned
babyoh
Quote:

I'm pairing it with Cary 300SEI tube amp. There's not much bass to speak of as if everything below 60Hz is rolled off. Is this normal? How much time do I need to put on it to get some bass? Right now the tonal balance seems to emphasize the highs.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 48
Yeah definetly, after 2 years of burnin they beat the DT770 for bass. They kinda reminded me of that skullcandy with subwoofer.

No seriously, I have owned them for a long time, it was an already burned in pair for about 50hours, and I have put over 300 hours in it myself, and the bass never changed whatsoever. Some people say it has to do with the pads becoming softer, I have no experience with that, the pads never changed. The bass was definetly attenuated and not on a balanced level at all.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 48
In my experience SS amps extend the bass lower on the 701 vs a tube amp (Darkvoice specifically) so that might play a part.

I also can report that the bass increased in volume slightly, and went deeper the more hours I put on them. Then the improvement slowed to a stop after a certain period of time.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 48
If I may suggest "Wait for them to burn-in and the bass will improve to your liking" is kind of too specific, let's say for one they do improve-- doesn't mean it will be to one's liking, could be just right, could be too much.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I may suggest "Wait for them to burn-in and the bass will improve to your liking" is kind of too specific, let's say for one they do improve-- doesn't mean it will be to one's liking, could be just right, could be too much.

I agree 100% with this statement. At least from my K701s there was perhaps a minimal increase in bass during burn-in, but still not to necessarily to my liking.

I've found that you're much better off pairing them with a good amp. This improves bass on a much larger degree. Perhaps the person in the OP's quote just needs to find an amp with the right sound signature to match the AKGs.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100% with this statement. At least from my K701s there was perhaps a minimal increase in bass during burn-in, but still not to necessarily to my liking.

I've found that you're much better off pairing them with a good amp. This improves bass on a much larger degree. Perhaps the person in the OP's quote just needs to find an amp with the right sound signature to match the AKGs.

How do I change it?

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 48
Not sure, I've never made a poll before. One of the reasons I plan to get a k702 soon is because I've found the M3 to have a bit more bass than some of my previous amps, but still be generally to my liking with most cans. A recent opamp swap to the ad843 also pushed some of the sound more toward the center. Thinking these characteristics with the k702 might be interesting. Also an equinox akg cable in the works to throw some more variety into the mix.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure, I've never made a poll before. One of the reasons I plan to get a k702 soon is because I've found the M3 to have a bit more bass than some of my previous amps, but still be generally to my liking with most cans. A recent opamp swap to the ad843 also pushed some of the sound more toward the center. Thinking these characteristics with the k702 might be interesting. Also an equinox akg cable in the works to throw some more variety into the mix.

On my 650 the Equinox added bass impact and pulled the vocals forward. Let us know how it works.

SAA K702 Equinox
Quote:

increases and adds weight and definition to the bass response and warms up the mid-range

Might just do the trick for you.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I change it?

That's tricky, but maybe just make it less specific (omitting "to my liking") or add a 3rd voting category like "improves with amping."

This is a great poll though, this seems to be a common problem/question among K701 owners. Hopefully some more people will give their input.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They simply don't have much bass (almost none, actually.) Nothing is going to change that.

I wouldn't say "almost none" (at least from my audio set up it's actually quite plentiful), but if you're expecting closed headphone level bass (e.g. Denons) you aren't going to get it.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's tricky, but maybe just make it less specific (omitting "to my liking") or add a 3rd voting category like "improves with amping."

This is a great poll though, this seems to be a common problem/question among K701 owners. Hopefully some more people will give their input.

I know what wording I want to use but I cant figure out how to change it. lol

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 48
I think the K701 has more bass than the DT770, what do you think intoart?

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the K701 has more bass than the DT770, what do you think intoart?

I have a cat that farts with more bass then the DT770.
biggrin.gif
Problem with the 770 is the bass is flabby like Roseanne Barr. It has no impact. Very unrealistic. Inferior to the HD650 in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back