$700~ to spend...
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, okay so the Denons aren't your cup of tea, but if the CT 770 Pro have a lot of soul and prat and they aren't in any way neutral (I haven't heard them), what makes them so clearly "studio" instead of "home"?

Well, I wouldn't say the Denons aren't my cup of tea. There was a lot to enjoy with these headphones, but I moved on to others who I prefer over the Denons.

What makes the DT770 so clearly a studio headphone, is that BeyerDynamic gave them that purpose. It's simple like that.
I have no opinion wether they are good for a studio job or not, because I'm just a music lover who needs headphones for listening.
What I'm pointing out is, that there are different DT770 models with different sound sigs.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #32 of 34
Okay Tiemen, though I wanted a more desctriptive explanation to the studio thing.

Please be careful with giving hints and opinions about headphones, without telling the whole truth. I mean the message you convey to our headphone-seeking friend here about the Denon D2000, was a bit harsh at first, it gives an open mind a false image of your opinion.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay Tiemen, though I wanted a more desctriptive explanation to the studio thing.

Please be careful with giving hints and opinions about headphones, without telling the whole truth. I mean the message you convey to our headphone-seeking friend here about the Denon D2000, was a bit harsh at first, it gives an open mind a false image of your opinion.

It was my intention to be carefull about the DT770, because so often people are just giving opinions about them without telling the version they're addressing to.
I thought the DT770 was treated unfair. It's not that I suggest them to OP,
but it would be nice if he is aware of the different versions and sound signatures.
I brought the studio thing up to explain the differences. Because too many times when headfi-ers are talking about the DT770, they mean the Pro 80 ohm, completely forgetting the DT770 consumer edition. The latter is meant for consumers by Beyer. The pro's for studios, again, by Beyer.
But as I wrote before, the Pro's can also be used as home listening cans. In fact it doesn't matter that much what the manufacturer had in mind, as long as they sound good for hifi purpose.
See also this website beyerdynamic worldwide.

As for the Denons, I was just saying that the DT770 are mor fun to listen to. Not that they are better, though the 2005 consumer edition equals them IMHO.
The Denons are to my ears and with my music a bit dull, not really toe tapping headphones. And I'm not the first one saying that.

To be more specific about my D2000 opinion:
Plus: rich sound, at first listen a wow effect, a lot of bass, tons of details, good soundstage, great impact and presence with rock (slam, oomph).
Minus: overall sound a bit dull, treble sometimes harsh and sibilant, there's not much nuance in the bass (difference between acoustic and electric not always obvious), fatiguing in the long run, vocals sounds sometimes recessed, not good isolation for a closed can.

By the way: my main can is the AKG K 601.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 34
Cool, that cleared things up at least for me
smily_headphones1.gif

My Denons are pretty new still, so it's possible that I haven't spent enough time with them to form a complete experienced opinion. I hope that this "wow-effect" never fades
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back