$700~ to spend...
Aug 25, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #17 of 34
I recently got my Denon D2000's and now after the initial burn-in (50+ hours of pink noise) I feel the bass was already tamed a bit, it's more accurate and not so boomy anymore. I also use an equalizer setting in Foobar2k to handle the bass, and I'm very very happy with the results.

If you go for the D2000, I'd say you should do burn-in to them, and then enjoy them for a while, if you then feel like you hear too overpowering bass (which I don't), go for the MarkL-mod. After that, if you feel you want the next level, go for the D5000 cable, it's affordable and I've been hearing good reviews of using it.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 34
In my post I meant that Alo 780

And for dac/amp i would recommend go-vibe petite because it's clearer than the Ibasso and does not have as much bass. But just my guess
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 34
hey thanks everyone. The D2000 is back on my list. I havent found a store that has either of these headphones to demo... so i'm going to just look at as many comparisons as i can find between these. if someone can summarize it, that'd be cool, but basically its $250 for each of the non modded ones, and $500-600 for modded ones, so they're kind of the identical price range it seems.

would d5000's for $450-$500 ish be basically the same thing as a modded d2000? its just the cable/exterior tahts the difference right? 'cause that woody is kinda cool :p

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gushybear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would d5000's for $450-$500 ish be basically the same thing as a modded d2000? its just the cable/exterior tahts the difference right? 'cause that woody is kinda cool :p

The interior materials have a difference too, the thick foamlike material that surrounds the driver is what makes the overpowering bass for the D2000, in the D5000, a bit different material is used, and the covers are indeed wood, which gives it a way better sound, also the cable is very good, a real upgrade when compared to the cable of the D2000. So you're definately getting more than style with your money if you go for the D5000.

But for me, they were just too expensive, I'd rather go for D2000 with MarkL mod someday and then maybe a cable upgrade ..or save money for a long time and then go for the D7000
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, Ultrasones are good for a combination of clarity and hefty bass response.

I would be inclined to reccomend a Pro 750, along with a good amp/dac to drive them. Used these can be had for around $200, so you could spend the remaining money on something like a Pico or Predator with DAC.

K701 is clear, but difficult to drive and has a very polite and reticent bass, which wouldn't suit your needs. DT770 is very bassy, but also somewhat muddy and not so clear.

The DT770 2005 consumer edition is NOT very bassy, NOT muddy and it's clear is a cowbell. It's even on the bright side of the audio spectrum.
The negatives goes for the DT770 Pro's, but they are ment for studio people in the first place.
Please be more carefull.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 34
haha. but getting a D5000 is cheaper than the whole cable modded markl modded d2000 dealie! + has woodyness ahaha.

d7000 would be nice, although slightly out of my price range.

I'm still leaning to ALO780's, ibasso boa which puts me just over my budget. I like the more energetic/forward headphones, and having heard the ultrasone 750's i know what the bass will be similar to. I think this is where i'm going.

The ibasso for 165 and placing quite high on that big review of all those DAC/AMP's was good for me. the predator would be nice, but $500 for a slight improvement isn't for me. Maybe down the line i'll get a proper desktop amp in addition to the ibasso.

thanks for all the help! really made this process so much quicker!

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The negatives goes for the DT770 Pro's, but they are ment for studio people in the first place.
Please be more carefull.

I am not a studio person, so i dont know what that means. Just want a good set of headphones that can give me decent bass output using my computer as a source with all sorts of modern music as well as some good classic rock as well.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

I'm still leaning to ALO780's, ibasso boa

It's a nice combo, and you should go towards what you feel is your thing, which may not all of the time be the most popular or respected choice, but you know you're getting the kind of "soul" for your headphone system that you want.

Of course if you have a chance to listen to all the combinations or headphones, that makes the deal more accurate, you know, some people prefer the HD 600 over the HD 650, some prefer the modded D2000 over the D5000, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I think that by being for studio people, he means they are made for reproducing the sound for studio mixing, so it's kind of strict and neutral sounding headphone, with no real "soul", they're not as "fun" as, say, the D2000 we're talking about
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

I am not a studio person, so i dont know what that means. Just want a good set of headphones that can give me decent bass output using my computer as a source with all sorts of modern music as well as some good classic rock as well.

What I was trying to say is, that BeyerDynamic designed different DT770 headphones for different applications.
The 2005 premiumline consumer edition for hifi/home listening.
The two Pro's (80 and 250 ohm) for studio purposes, and the M for drummers and other musicians.
So when commenting the DT770, people should tell to which model they are referring.
By the way, a lot of headfi-er do like the Pro 80 ohm also for listening pleasure.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #28 of 34
ohhh okay thanks (jaawa and tiemen that makes complete sense.

Definitely want the lively front soundstage, and i love the ultrasone bass. so i'm finalized on the alo 780's. who knows, i might end up in the future getting a different pair that is more comfy (i know of the infamous "almost over the ear" feeling these have, the 750 pros werent so comfy, but it wasn't that bad) for home listening, maybe some k701's, along with an uberamp. Thats way down the line. At least these ultrasones are sealed so i can take them out and get some noise cancelling (and not leak sound everywhere), and while home its like i'm in my own little shell
smily_headphones1.gif
win-win for now.

i'm open to amp suggestions, but for now i think the ibasso boa might be the perfect price/performance ratio. then again i havent heard it in person, i'm just going on reviews on this site, but from what i've gathered its a decent amp for the money.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that by being for studio people, he means they are made for reproducing the sound for studio mixing, so it's kind of strict and neutral sounding headphone, with no real "soul", they're not as "fun" as, say, the D2000 we're talking about
smily_headphones1.gif

Wrong, the DT 770 Pro 80 ohm has a lot of soul and prat. They are more fun than the Denons, which I found a bit dull and boring.
The DT770 Pro's are by no means neutral, but indeed made for studio purposes.
Though also usable for home listening.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Wrong, the DT 770 Pro 80 ohm has a lot of soul and prat. They are more fun than the Denons, which I found a bit dull and boring.
The DT770 Pro's are by no means neutral, but indeed made for studio purposes.
Though also usable for home listening.

Uh, okay so the Denons aren't your cup of tea, but if the CT 770 Pro have a lot of soul and prat and they aren't in any way neutral (I haven't heard them), what makes them so clearly "studio" instead of "home"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back