$700 budget for headphones/amp, please help a newbie!
Jul 3, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by touser
I agree gpalmer, it is worth waiting for a better product, but i am under a time constraint and everything must be ordered and arrive by mid next week as i am going out of the country on business and will not be back for quite some time, and a great pair of headphones is what i am lookoing to take with me. So, for curiosity's sake, do you know of any production models that would be close to the gilmore lite in the same price range?

Sorry, that isn't really my price range so I'm not an expert. I'm wondering if a SR-71 might be good for travel even if it blows your budget. Excellent sound, small size and it uses 9 volts so you don't have to worry about what the power is in the countires you're traveling to... It's in the $400 range though.

Jul 3, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 40
Jasper, assuming i go with what you first suggested, but i went with the senn HD600 or the beyerdynamic DT880 would the rest of the equipment mentioned be able to drive either of those well? Or would that require an upgrade somewhere else as well?

Jul 3, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by touser
Thanks for the info ReDVsion, may i ask which amp you are running to 880's off?

Heh... contrary to my signature my Gilmore V1 has not arrived yet. So basically... I'm running them from a receiver's headphone jack...

*runs away before members start laughing*

But the lite is supposed to be very close to the V1... and that was the old model... moreover the V1 is supposed to have incredible synergy with the Beyers.

Jul 3, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #34 of 40
I am leaning towards Jasper's recommendation and going with:
EM-U 1212M
PreSonus HP4
HD595

and there arent any guitar centers in my area and i couldnt find the mogami cables anywhere online so will these work? http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...duct.php?id=50

Additionally, do those cables have to have any adapters attatched to them or will they work with the above mentioned equipment as is? Thank you all again!

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 40
Personally I'd recommend a PPA and a pair of HD650s, along with the Headphile interconnect of your choice.

PPAs from ITZBITZ start at $350 so you could get the bread and butter model and upgrade later if need be.
HD650s can be had for about $350 or less, depending on where you get them.
Headphile ICs start at around $40, silver would be a nice match with the HD650s.

So $740... not too much over
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 40
Thanks for the reply highflyin, unfortunately i dont think the PPA will work as i need everyhting to be here by mid next week and i dont think i could get one that soon, what do you think of the Rega Ear? Also my source is going to be a E-MU 1212M. My last question is that this whole interconnect cable is confusing me, do i need 2 interconnect cables? Do they come standard with a L and right channel? Will just 1 of these work, or do i have to get 2 http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=50?

Jul 4, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 40
I've never bought a pair of interconnects, but I would assume they come in, well, PAIRS.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #39 of 40
Just think of it like this, you'll be making two mono connections, one for left channel and one for right channel. Pro-audio gear like Mogami and Monster Studio Link cables come as single mono cables since you might be making an instrument or mic connection. The 1212m is setup to use balanced pro gear by way of a 1/4" TRS jack. If you like, you can buy either Monster or Mogami pro audio cables at Guitar Center for reasonable prices. Monster 1/4" to RCA's run $15 per mono cable so you'll spend $30 for the two that you need to connect the Rega Ear. Alternatively, you can get whatever audiophile RCA to RCA interconnects you like and use the adapters that I linked you to in the PM I sent you to. Typically, consumer interconnects will come with left and right channel cables connected together...

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #40 of 40
You said you're travelling, so I don't think the EMU 1212M is a good choice.
I think in the haste to reccomend it, no one mentioned that it's a PC sound card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back