6SN7 appeal - National Union (NU) and Raytheon owners - I need your help!
Sep 17, 2006 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

For an upcoming major contribution to this forum, I need the help of all the owners of the aforementioned tubes.

Could you all send me high resolution pictures or detailed pictures (more on that later) of the following tubes?

1. National Union full grey glass 6SN7GT
2. National Union black glass 6SN7GT
3. Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT version 1: black T-plates
4. Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT version 2: black flat plates, 2 support rods
5. Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT version 3: flat plates, 2 support rods with additional top mica structures
6. any other Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT versions you've come across.

If you're choosing to send me detailed descriptions, I'm looking for the following details in particular:

- top mica shape
- bottom mica shap
- getter holder shape (circle? square? rectangle?)
- plate descriptions (black/grey? flat/T-plates/round-plates?)

PMs are welcome.

Thanks everyone! Remember - what goes around, comes around.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 22
adhoc, I am curious what you're up to. I cannot wait
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to say that the JAN-CRP-6SN7GT Raytheon, black flat-plates, is still a thrilling experience in the 6SN7GT land, to say the least: A real rocker's tube if you ask me. Depending on type, they do, however, sound different IMO.

PM me a suitable address for me to send high res photos of two flat-plates; the VT-231 (black/flat-plate/support rods) and a 1950 JAN-CRP-6SN7GT (black/flat-plate/clips/top D-getter).

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks Glod for your reply.

PM has been sent.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
There is a shorter bottle version of the NU grey

This is new to me - I did not know that NU made a short bottle grey glass. Are there any differences in internal construction or sound from the tall bottle?

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 22
Hey adhoc. Do you have a picture of a black-glass CNU-6SN7GT yet?

EDIT: Not much to see really
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 22
Just looking at the Raythons I have;

4. Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT version 2: black flat plates, 2 support rods
5. Raytheon VT-231/JAN-CRP-6SN7GT version 3: flat plates, 2 support rods with additional top mica structures -
Do you mean one with black 'u' shapred peaces on the top (centerish), and one with a silver stripes on the edge/

Also I have a short GT (not JAN-CRP), which looks more like GTA/GTB.

Let me know if any of these will help.

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Glod,

I just reread your first post in this post again, and I noticed something I must have missed earlier - a Raytheon GT with a top D-getter? That would be a first! Photos would be much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

And regarding the NU black glass 6SN7GT, I have 2 photos - take your pick: 1 and 2.

tagosaku,

Could you describe your 'short' 6SN7GT in more detail? And yes - I was referring to the one with the black U-shaped pieces (2) on the top mica. I am not sure what you mean by a 'silver stripe on the edge' though.
cool.gif

augustwest,

Not a book - that would reach a limited audience. Think a thread. Here. On Head-Fi. It's still in the early stages, but I am pleased so far with the progress - over 70 different 6SN7 types and counting! And all with detailed structure descriptions and photos when possible. This will be a labour of love; my magnum opus dedicated to this forum.
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 22
tagosaku,

Could you describe your 'short' 6SN7GT in more detail? And yes - I was referring to the one with the black U-shaped pieces (2) on the top mica. I am not sure what you mean by a 'silver stripe on the edge' though.
cool.gif

Short GT is side getter, flat plate. Says GT on the base, but looks same as GTA short bottle.

VT-231 with T-plate has nothing on top. Just rods.
GT flat plate with extra rod has the U-shaped thing.
Another VT-231 flat plate has a silver strip (about a mm wide) connecting the extra rod and left side rod on the flat plate.
Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you want a photo image.

Sep 18, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 22
tagosaku,

Thanks for your reply - a PM has been sent.
smily_headphones1.gif

A side-getter Raytheon sounds like a GTB model actually to me - I have not seen a Raytheon GTA before (rubs hands in glee)! The GTB would have a side wire getter holder that is literally 'wrapped' around black plates.

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 22
Yes, the short bottle GT and GTA and GTB all look alike with the wire getter holder etc.
I also have a GTB that has different type face on the base. Looks like the same type face Hitachi uses on Westingshouse 6sn7 and I like this one better than the other GT/GTA/GTBs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
tagosaku,

Thanks for your reply - a PM has been sent.
smily_headphones1.gif

A side-getter Raytheon sounds like a GTB model actually to me - I have not seen a Raytheon GTA before (rubs hands in glee)! The GTB would have a side wire getter holder that is literally 'wrapped' around black plates.

Sep 18, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 22
"Not a book - that would reach a limited audience. Think a thread. Here. On Head-Fi. It's still in the early stages, but I am pleased so far with the progress - over 70 different 6SN7 types and counting! And all with detailed structure descriptions and photos when possible. This will be a labour of love; my magnum opus dedicated to this forum."

A thread like that would be very useful and informative. A while back I had started an electronic "rolodex" with pictures of each tube descriptions, etc. But after a bit ran out of steam on the project. Best wishes on completing yours!

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back