6SL7 tube recommendations
Sep 16, 2007 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zippy2001

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Eddie Current DM-2 prototype amp and have started experimenting with tube rolling. I listen to all sorts of music, so I'm looking for something versatile. I'm using my Sennheiser HD580 w/equinox cable for the majority of my listening.

I've read on the Zana Deux thread that some like the Tung-Sol and others like the Sylvania. Are there specific age of tubes to look for? 40's, 50's, 60's, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the European tubes, Mullard or Brimar?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
580smile.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 13
Most of the better 6sl7/vt229 are from the '40s. My favorite National Union pretty much went out of business after WW2. If your interested, there's a Zana tube rolling kit that has a variety of 6sl7's to try. PM me if your interested and I'll try and get it to you. Better hurry though. The next batch of ZD's should be hitting the streets any day now.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the better 6sl7/vt229 are from the '40s. My favorite National Union pretty much went out of business after WW2. If your interested, there's a Zana tube rolling kit that has a variety of 6sl7's to try. PM me if your interested and I'll try and get it to you. Better hurry though. The next batch of ZD's should be hitting the streets any day now.

ironbut,
thanks for the offer, but i have plenty of tubes to try out. i had a national union tube, but i heard quite a bit of static, so i don't use that one. i had a ken rad, but one channel went out. so far my favorites have been sylvania and tung-sol.

I bought a Tung-Sol and it looks like this
6SL7GTTung-Sol.jpg

Most others i've seen look like this, where the smoked glass doesn't cover the top.
6SL7Tung-Sol.jpg

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Nothing much beats the black glass Tungsols. I do have some VT 229's from 1952 that are very, very good.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 13
The Tung-sols that most of us have been using are '40s issue, JAN-CTL-6SU7GTY w/brown base and coating on the sides and clear tops. I've got two other Tung-sols one 6sl7GT with the same coating, slightly taller and a black base and a 6SL7GT that is much taller with a black base, clear sides and chrome dome. The 6SU7GTY is much clearer and balanced top to bottom. From what I've read (if I remember correctly?) it is a selected VT229 with closer balance and lower noise. If you can find an NOS NU with gray glass they work great for classical particularly solo violins etc. They're the only ones I've found that have a little magic compared to the others I have. Of course at this level, it is much more system, personal preference dependent. That was the idea with the tube rolling kit. I want to see some variety of opinions with different sources, cabling,'phones and especially ears. When people disagree passionately about what the best tube is, it's the sign of a really great tube amp design.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 13
I have some of the grey glass and never really cared for them. The 6SU7 are, as stated above, a very closely matched 6SL7, which has held true when I measure them for mutual conductance and current draw. You could buy them at one time for around 7 or 8 dollars. I don't know what they go for now but they are one of the finest, imo. I have also found they last a good long while.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Tung-sols that most of us have been using are '40s issue, JAN-CTL-6SU7GTY w/brown base and coating on the sides and clear tops. I've got two other Tung-sols one 6sl7GT with the same coating, slightly taller and a black base and a 6SL7GT that is much taller with a black base, clear sides and chrome dome. The 6SU7GTY is much clearer and balanced top to bottom. From what I've read (if I remember correctly?) it is a selected VT229 with closer balance and lower noise. If you can find an NOS NU with gray glass they work great for classical particularly solo violins etc. They're the only ones I've found that have a little magic compared to the others I have. Of course at this level, it is much more system, personal preference dependent. That was the idea with the tube rolling kit. I want to see some variety of opinions with different sources, cabling,'phones and especially ears. When people disagree passionately about what the best tube is, it's the sign of a really great tube amp design.

ironbut, jamato8,
Thanks for the clarification. I just purchased one of the Tung-Sol JAN-CTL-6SU7GTY w/brown base and coating on the sides and clear tops. I really look forward to listening to it.

6SL7Tung-SolJAN-CTL-6SU7GTY.jpg

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 13
I would make sure it is new old stock. Even tubes that are used but test new can have the life bled out of them by long use at low voltages so the tube still measures good but something is gone. I have experienced this many, many times over my years of using tubes both with tubes bought from someone else and my own tubes that have many hours on them. This is not always the case but with driver tubes I find it true most of the time.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would make sure it is new old stock. Even tubes that are used but test new can have the life bled out of them by long use at low voltages so the tube still measures good but something is gone. I have experienced this many, many times over my years of using tubes both with tubes bought from someone else and my own tubes that have many hours on them. This is not always the case but with driver tubes I find it true most of the time.

In order to ensure a tube is NOS, is it necessary to purchase from a reputable dealer? Is there any way to find a good used tube?

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 13
I've had good luck so far with the two European tubes you mentioned, Mullard & Brimar. I don't know the vintage of the Mullard, but the Brimar's are '50's tubes and are so far my favorite in the Zana. Like others I liked the NU a lot, but the Brimar has really become "it" for me. Excellent definition in mids and highs, and very detailed bass with enough slam to keep me grinning. Both the Brimar's and the Mullard I have are 6SL7 GT's.

A_Sr.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have an RCA grey glass 6SL7GT kicking around somewhere if anyone wants it. I certainly have no use for it.

Hi Fitz,

I would love to take you up on that offer. I'll send you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back