6MOONS REVIEW: MPX3 is here!!!!
Sep 29, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 71
Wow, awesome review. I for one own a Stealth and let me tell you after the many postive reviews about the Singlepower amps I can't wait to get my hands on one real soon.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #32 of 71
I always like to read reviews of headphone products no matter what they are. I more importantly love to read reviews in which the outcome is not just positive but glowing. This means we as an addicted bunch of headphone lovers are being heard and noticed in the industry. We may be in the Golden Age of headphone amps folks. This is a good thing.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I always like to read reviews of headphone products no matter what they are. I more importantly love to read reviews in which the outcome is not just positive but glowing. This means we as an addicted bunch of headphone lovers are being heard and noticed in the industry. We may be in the Golden Age of headphone amps folks. This is a good thing.

Amen! I cant believe all the good amps available to us right now that didnt exist two years ago. There have never been more quality amp choices. Whats even better is many of them are very reasonably priced.
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Amen! I cant believe all the good amps available to us right now that didnt exist two years ago. There have never been more quality amp choices. Whats even better is many of them are very reasonably priced.
icon10.gif

Bear in mind that outside of this forum, a $1,000 headphone amp is not considered "reasonably priced."

P.S. Kudos to Mikhail.
600smile.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #35 of 71
The review was an interesting read, although by the reviewers headphone preference (W1000s over HD650s), I can tell that our respective tastes vary quite a bit.

Sep 29, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #36 of 71
thank you so much tom!
wink.gif

mikhail is such a nice guy and this amp is a monster

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #37 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
The review was an interesting read, although by the reviewers headphone preference (W1000s over HD650s), I can tell that our respective tastes vary quite a bit.

In the second half of the review he did become a believer in the HD650. He said he never liked them until he tried them with the MPX3. Maybe the Singlepower amp has brought him over to team Senn.
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
In the second half of the review he did become a believer in the HD650. He said he never liked them until he tried them with the MPX3. Maybe the Singlepower amp has brought him over to team Senn.
wink.gif
icon10.gif

I wish this could happen to me...
smily_headphones1.gif

j|!

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 71
I dont like the review.

Not because I dont like Singlepower amps - I love singlepower amps and Mikhail is a dood
cool.gif

The review SPANKS of "OMG THIS IS THE BEST WTFWTF GOLLY!!
eek.gif
" which is normally associated with initial impressions.

I wonder how long he spent with the amplifiers before writing the review. I have a woo audio amplifier here and have had it for nearly 4 months carefully forming opinions - the review isnt out yet
rolleyes.gif

NOW -

His statement about the Emmeline Stealth sounding like a "solid-state" amplifier can be understood. I wonder if he tried tube-rolling or if he had the recent upgrades done to the amp. The Stealth I heard at a recent FL meet sounded nothing like a solid state amp. I think the reviewer doesnt understand the difference between solid state sound and tube sound. Just because an amplifier sounds thin doesnt mean it is solid state. The Headroom MAX and Prehead are solid state but they are anything but thin. They sound almost indistinguishable from tube amps but for tiny very very tiny traits that classify them as solid state. Thin = Solid State is a crappy equation to use in a review at this level.

Yes it is a delicate and light sounding amp but it was PERFECT for certain types of music and certain headphones (R10, Leatherheads, Grado PS1).

The Singlepower MPX3 is also audibly less refined than the Stealth. This is just my opinion. let me define "Refined" for you folks.

I am talking about "smudging" the notes when you make a transition. For example - when ***** defines a bass note and ##### defines a mid/treble note, reproduction is ideal when what you hear is closer to the actual sound.

Ideal - from a personal point of reference after listening to the same track with the same headphones and same power conditioning and high quality interconnects from various amplifiers.

Actual - the performance of one specific amp when compared with the ideal.

Stealth :

Ideal : *****
Actual : ****

Ideal : #####
Actual : #####

MPX3 :

Ideal : *****
Actual : ********

Ideal : #####
Actual : ######

Neither amplifier is perfect but the Stealth seems to have less "bloom" and more "control" which makes it sound solid state.

However - on a "FUN SCALE" I would pick the MPX3 anyday. It is more tolerant to the headphone type and accepts a wider range of music genres without fuss
cool.gif

I would ideally have them both - The Stealth sounds ideal for night-time listening at low volumes with an expensive headphone that does everything just right (R10 / Leatherhead) for certain genres of music.

I would use the MPX3 all day
smily_headphones1.gif
It is surely a more FUN and EMOTIONAL and INSPIRING amplifier because it just sounds so darned good despite the technical (IMO) deficiencies. Pump in the SUPRA / SDS and watch the differences float away.

I wouldnt use the MPX3 in the night and the reason is not a "sonic" reason - THE DAMNED LED IS WAAY TOO BRIGHT
tongue.gif
LOL (OMG - how lame
tongue.gif
)

All this is of course just my opinion. If I had to compare the Stealth then I would have to pull out the SDS or Maestro from Mikhail
wink.gif

I dont see why anyone should go to war over which is a better amp. Some of you guys (some guys I had enormous respect for) have just degraded themselves in my eyes
frown.gif

Why cant everyone just get on with each other and learn to accept opinions.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

I am talking about "smudging" the notes when you make a transition. For example - when ***** defines a bass note and ##### defines a mid/treble note, reproduction is ideal when what you hear is closer to the actual sound.

Stealth :

Input : *****
Output : ****

Input : #####
Output : #####

MPX3 :

Input : *****
Output : ********

Input : #####
Output : ######

Neither amplifier is perfect but the Stealth seems to have less "bloom" and more "control" which makes it sound solid state.

Q: How are you able to determine the input signal quality? There'd have to be an absolute, empirical reference.

Also, as you're aware, sound quality is going to be very dependant on the tubes used (and in the case of the Emmeline, op amp as well). Perhaps you're describing the sound of the tubes, not the amp. Many people have mentioned dramatic differences occur when tube-rolling Singlepowers, asserting the amp takes on the sonic personality of whatever tubes are being used.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 71
I though this review was supposed to be a comparison between the Stealth and the MPX3. My bad?
The title only says MPX3 and the Stealth is hardly mentioned. I did find an earlier review on the Stealth by the same writer but could only access the first part of it. The "next" button wouldn't allow me to see the second (and subsequent) page(s). Can anyone provide a link to the entire review of the Stealth?
I really would like to see a balanced comparison between these two amps. I've owned a PPX3 and still own an HR2 and would love to hear what each of these higher end models does best (music types, quality of preamp function,etc). This one seemed like more of a gush over the MPX3 which is fine; I was just hoping for more info on the Stealth as I think that one may better fit into the long term plan for my system.
I think it's great that Headphone audio is getting some (mainstream?) press. That's good for all of us. Congrats to Mikhail for a job well done.
CPW
PS Is it just me, or does that reviewer have a really weird writing style?

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Q: How are you able to determine the input signal quality? There'd have to be an absolute, empirical reference.

Also, as you're aware, sound quality is going to be very dependant on the tubes used (and in the case of the Emmeline, op amp as well). Perhaps you're describing the sound of the tubes, not the amp. Many people have mentioned dramatic differences occur when tube-rolling Singlepowers, asserting the amp takes on the sonic personality of whatever tubes are being used.

I agree that it is difficult to pin down a reference point. I am using the average of several listening sessions with various amplifiers to pin down the "ideal" or "reference" level for that particular note in that particular track.

The track is from an SACD of Luciano Pavarotti - Ti Adoro

I heard the music from the following amps :-

1] Maxxed PPA
2] Singlepower PPX3, PPX36SN7, MPX3, Maestro
3] Emmeline Stealth
4] Rudistor RP5 Reference
6] Stax Omega-2 + OO7T

Headphones were the R10 by Sony

I have notes from the sessions and each of them is for that particular note from the same track from the same CD. All of these amplifiers were fed through high quality power cables, from a BPT Power management system.

My notes are in the form of graphs for "Extension , Sustain , Fibrillation , and harmonics" for the note in question.

I cannot possibly do better than this to pin down a point of reference. For me the PPA is too sterile and the PPX3 is too warm. Everything else fills out the zones in between.

Yours is an exceedingly valid question but this is the best I can do.

perhaps using the word "ideal" instead of "input" and "actual" instead of "output" will be better and I will edit my post to reflect this change.

Cheers!

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #43 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
PS Is it just me, or does that reviewer have a really weird writing style?

Yes, and he's often criticized for it. I get this feeling he has a quite inflated ego. Then again my reviewing style is crap so who am I to say.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #44 of 71
gsferrari,

That was one of the most detailed reviews I have read. I cant help but believe he took a lot of time with the review. As Len stated tubes make a huge difference with the singlepowers. I can make the amp(my mpx3) sound lush and warm or switch tubes and make the amp sound neutral, fast and explosively dynamic. Hearing an amp at a meet is no substitute for owning and being able to optimize the set up. I have 125 6sn7's and I can assure you that you would be amazed at how you can alter the amps signature depending on the tube. Whats nice though is they all sound excellent in their own way. Personally, I like the National Union black glass paired with two sylvania gt or gta's on the outputs.

I dont think you have enough experience here, especially when you say the Max is barely distinguishable from a tube amp. I owned a headroom MOH as well as several other solid state amps and the mpx3 has tone and a sense of life and naturalness all the others lack. Interestingly, I find the MOH thin sounding and I hated the MOH's treble and I hear little in common between the two amps. Furthermore, I am also still in the I cant believe how good this amp sounds status even though its been with me for months; so I can see why his enthusiasm continues.

In the end he liked the mpx3 best and thats the bottom line. Thats saying something as the Stealth is more than double the price.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
gsferrari,

That was one of the most detailed reviews I have read. I cant help but believe he took a lot of time with the review

Trust me - it doesnt take a long time to spew out bombastic words. Give it a shot.

Quote:

As Len stated tubes make a huge difference with the singlepowers. I can make the amp(my mpx3) sound lush and warm or switch tubes and make the amp sound neutral, fast and explosively dynamic

I guess the same can be said of the stealth
wink.gif
Why bitch about one and croon about the other.

Quote:

Hearing an amp at a meet is no substitute for owning and being able to optimize the set up

It all depends on how you set up your audition. However I agree and I did mention that everything is IMO. Still - the MPX3 (tuberolled by Mikhail) did sound technically deficient compared to the Stealth. What I hear is what I hear. I can never afford the stealth and the MPX3 is heads and shoulders above anything in its price range.

Quote:

I dont think you have enough experience here

Oh really ??

wink.gif

Quote:

especially when you say the Max is barely distinguishable from a tube amp

Oh please dont give me the "I can hear better than you" BS. Ask anyone with the Headroom MAX with stepped attenuators. Unless you know exactly what you are listening for it is as close to tube sound as solid state will ever get.

Quote:

I owned a headroom MOH

I am talking about the Headroom MAX here
wink.gif

Quote:

mpx3 has tone and a sense of life and naturalness all the others lack

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I hear perfectly natural sound with a Headroom MAX. BTW - the Blockhead absolutely trounced every tube amp I have heard
wink.gif

Quote:

In the end he liked the mpx3 best and thats the bottom line

Who is he to decide the bottom line?
confused.gif
I am sorry - there is no logic in this statement. I never said he was wrong to like the MPX3 - heck! I love that amp too. I just prefer a more balanced writing style instead of this all out "I am in love" crap. No credibility when there is no argument on both sides.

Quote:

Thats saying something as the Stealth is more than double the price.

Not without reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back