6G Nano - First Impressions
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #31 of 54
That really did work?  You're the first person I have ever heard that got the itunes custom EQ to actually work on their ipod.  I have tried it numerous times with one big difference though.  I always either renamed my custom EQ or I just left it called custom EQ.  I never renamed it after something that was already in the ipod presets.

Think I will have to give that a shot tonight and see if I can get it to work.

The lack of custom EQ has really been one of the biggest knocks on an ipod since they first came out.

Quote:
humanafterall,

the 6G Nano has the same factory preset EQ settings as the iPod Touch,
accessible via the "Settings" menu.

I personally use a custom EQ technique that works for me,
but which many here claim has no effect.

in iTunes, on Playlist page,
View/View Options - select EQ

then select a factory preset for each and every song (e.g. Rock, or any other factory EQ setting name)

then in Window, select EQ - pop up window appears
adjust EQ slider bars as desired
(subtractive EQ is better - I want at least 3db down on everything)

select Make Preset

Name your custom EQ "Rock" (or any other EQ preset name, as long as it's the same name selected in Playlist EQ above)
- overwrite factory setting
(make sure the little 'EQ On' box in the upper left of the pop up window is checked)

select EQ-Rock on your iPod

Sync iPod

You should now have the custom EQ setting implemented on your iPod.

Works for me - don't know why some others here, can't get it to work for them.

Couldn't live without it.
On JH16/Nano combo - I use it to null out the Nano's 100Hz "hump" - really tightens up the bottom end.

Happy listening.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #32 of 54
Yep it really works.
(confirmed to me by Apple and a golden-eared Member of the Trade here, as well as my own ears)

However, many others dispute this fact (full disclosure).

Cant imagine using my portable rig without it.
- last 3 generations of Nano (to my ears) have a noticeable 100Hz "hump" in EQ
- I use the technique to compensate for that,
- and to add a dash of HiFreq (16KHz), since I've got a 13KHz notch of hearing loss.

FWIW:
I've used the technique on iTunes 8, 9, and 10 (currently running on a MacBookPro / Snow Leopard),
with Nano 4G, 5G and now 6G, feeding RSA Shadow, Mustang, Tomahawk, and HD600, HD650, SR325, TM5, PK2, ER4P, SE530, W3, JH13, JH16.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #33 of 54
Well, I tried out the EQ change.  I went in and decided to change the EQ on the Flat setting so that it would be the most noticeable.  Unfortunately this does not work.  I really changed the settings A LOT.  I spiked all the frequencies significantly just so there would be no mistake about it.  I only tried it on my Ipod touch 1G with the newest firmware. 

I was very excited for a second.  I have always been one who wanted the Ipod to have a cusomized EQ.  The wait continues.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #34 of 54
With all due respect i think that this procedure and its perception is all about the placebo effect.

I tried back in the day with a 2008 iPod Classic and i did not notice any change.

Anyway these days i don't care about eq's on portables at home or anywhere. For me it's simple:

dac - amp - speakers/headphones

I don't like to remaster records on the fly but on a proper DAW.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #35 of 54

Quote:
Yep it really works.
(confirmed to me by Apple and a golden-eared Member of the Trade here, as well as my own ears)

However, many others dispute this fact (full disclosure).

Cant imagine using my portable rig without it.
- last 3 generations of Nano (to my ears) have a noticeable 100Hz "hump" in EQ
- I use the technique to compensate for that,
- and to add a dash of HiFreq (16KHz), since I've got a 13KHz notch of hearing loss.

FWIW:
I've used the technique on iTunes 8, 9, and 10 (currently running on a MacBookPro / Snow Leopard),
with Nano 4G, 5G and now 6G, feeding RSA Shadow, Mustang, Tomahawk, and HD600, HD650, SR325, TM5, PK2, ER4P, SE530, W3, JH13, JH16.

Custom EQ on an iPod is not currently possible - and if an Apple rep confirmed that it DOES work they're full of bologna. And your "Golden Eared" friend might need a hearing test,......just an FYI (gotta take care of our bro's, no?).

Quote:
Well, I tried out the EQ change.  I went in and decided to change the EQ on the Flat setting so that it would be the most noticeable.  Unfortunately this does not work.  I really changed the settings A LOT.  I spiked all the frequencies significantly just so there would be no mistake about it.  I only tried it on my Ipod touch 1G with the newest firmware. 

I was very excited for a second.  I have always been one who wanted the Ipod to have a cusomized EQ.  The wait continues.

I tried it as well, and it didn't work. It never has, and Apple has stated it in the info I linked to.

Quote:
With all due respect i think that this procedure and its perception is all about the placebo effect.

I tried back in the day with a 2008 iPod Classic and i did not notice any change.

Anyway these days i don't care about eq's on portables at home or anywhere. For me it's simple:

dac - amp - speakers/headphones

I don't like to remaster records on the fly but on a proper DAW.

Thank you BOTH, as I hate it when others feed the masses false information. The custom EQ is currently not possible on the iPods - if it we're all you would see in my sig is Apple iPods.
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #36 of 54
I went ahead and ordered the Lowrider LOD. It's a lot smaller than I expected... should go perfect with the p-51 whenever I get the money to buy one. I really liked the new nano. I find myself taking my "rig" with me more often due to the size. I never liked lugging around my touch and amp. I had to either wear cargos or carry it in a small bag.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #40 of 54

Quote:
@sierrahotel01 is the EQ fixed (non distorting) like the iPod touch with iOS 4.x?

Yes, out of the box with the stock firmware the EQ is fixed, it's now non-distorting. My old Nano 2G and my old iPhone 3G were distorting. When I updated my iPhone to iOS4 the EQ got fixed. It's the same EQ the Nano 6G has. Which is awesome.

Some notes about the 6G, just got it today and wanted to chime in a bit:

- the sound is much cleaner than both my iPhone and Nano 2G
- the low end is fatter than the 5G or 4G... but not as fat as the 2G
- the sound is a lot less congested than any other Nano I've tried
- smoother sound compared to the 4G or 5G which tend to be edgy and hard, and cleaner than the 2G, which is really grainy

One gripe: the line out seems to be bereft of libido. It's really weak. I don't suggest using the Nano 6G with, say, the FiiO E7 for instance which is kind of picky what signal you feed it. The line out of this is pretty weak, you should only pair it up with a nice powerful amp that has lots of juice. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #41 of 54
Sorry if this is resurrecting a dead thread (its a tad old)

I have been using my Westone 3s with the new 6g nano and have compared the Headphone out to an ipod mini, ipod video 5.5g, and a $320 soundblaster sound card (which I use as a control)

Things I have noticed:

- Unlike the 5.5g video, there is very little hiss when music is paused or the volume is lowish
- The soundstage is much more packed then all the above devices
- The sound is much clearer than the 5.5g and the mini (a lot less timbre)
- It has less deep, thumping bass and more higher end bass (this is the only thing I personally dislike)
- Mids are slightly less pronounced, which makes vocals a little distant
- There seems to be a very slight volume drop during congested areas of songs (such as heavy rock)

Overall though I'm pretty happy with the new nano, its the best ipod I've used.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #42 of 54
I've noticed all this things too, but when compared iPod Classic 120 vs. iPod Shuffle 4G.
Today i've listened to the new Nano6, but on Monster Studios:)
Not good device for such headphones:D

With Sure 210 it sounds pretty like Shuffle 4G.
Only first empressions:)

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #44 of 54

Quote:
Some notes about the 6G, just got it today and wanted to chime in a bit:  
- the sound is much cleaner than both my iPhone and Nano 2G
- the low end is fatter than the 5G or 4G... but not as fat as the 2G
- the sound is a lot less congested than any other Nano I've tried
- smoother sound compared to the 4G or 5G which tend to be edgy and hard, and cleaner than the 2G, which is really grainy

One gripe: the line out seems to be bereft of libido. It's really weak. I don't suggest using the Nano 6G with, say, the FiiO E7 for instance which is kind of picky what signal you feed it. The line out of this is pretty weak, you should only pair it up with a nice powerful amp that has lots of juice. 

Apologies for bolding the parts which I find interesting, but this is *exactly* the sort of feedback I have been looking for.

As I posted in 'Portable Amps', I have just installed Topflight's Topkit on my D4, and I am already hearing improvements, particularly in terms of separation and detail with the thing hooked up to my most basic source, a 2010 Shuffle. I'm eager to get it home tonight and connect it to my Netbook/DAC, run that for a few days and try to separate the reality from the placebo.

At this stage, I am going to venture that the Nano would benefit greatly from the Topkitted D4. I know thats a big jump when I havent even heard the Nano, but the 2010 Shuffle was a huge improvement over every other Shuffle I have heard - much closer to the original model - leading me to believe that Apple have realigned their priorities in favour of sound quality over geegaws. By contrast, hooking my D4 up to my 8GB Touch doesnt seem to do much beyond making its deficiencies even more obvious - same ALAC files as the Shuffle, but a brighter/leaner sound that just doesnt do it for me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #45 of 54
I agreed, those are very useful observations.  I also want to welcome your impression of the nano 6g as I am kind of standing on the side ready to jump in if I felt there is enough good reviews.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back