6G Nano - First Impressions
Jan 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #46 of 54
I just ran the nano 6g through some audio analysis software using a line in and some Test Wavs, and compared it to the other ipods (1-4g nano, video, mini). The frequency response of the 6g is actually very flat, with a tiny bump at 100Hz. There's a lot more harmonic distortion than the ipod video or the pc sound card ( which are very flat), which in part explains a smaller sound stage. Technically, the iPod video still has better audio quality, except for static in low impedance earphones. 

Overall though, at least from a technical perspective, it beats almost all previous iPods in terms of frequency response and distortion with the exception of the iPod video (however I did not test any ipod touch or iphone models, or any shuffles). This is very impressive considering its tiny size. 

PS, if anybody is interested, I also ran the Nintendo DSs sound card through the software and it sucks :p

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #47 of 54
Thank you for doing the test.  Very useful exercise.  But I have a solution coming, it's call Solo :wink:  

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #53 of 54
@crozone - Maybe that is why with the 6g nano, guitar strings sound more thick and in my head instead of slightly out in front of me.  The bass hump really got to me after a while as well.  I can see how the 6g sound signature could help a lot of iems.  With my Westone UM-3x it did not float my boat and I ended up selling it in about a week.

I should never have sold my 4g nano.  I like the usability a lot more on the old format as well as the sound.  At least I got a used Touch 2nd gen to replace my experiment with a touch 3rd gen which also sounded worse than the 2gen both on hp out as well as lod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back