6DOIT!
Jan 30, 2002 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Xevion

500+ Head-Fier
I just got 6DOIT today. I would be willing to bet that Braver, Davidcotton, Demetrio and others will get it soon.

I am just finished with the 1st disc, which was very good, but it still dosen't top Images and Words to me. LaBrie seemed to be holding back a bit throughout the disc. Now, the second disc has one song, of course named 6DOIT after the title.

Overture is, you guessed it, symphonic DT. Quite awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

About To Crash - Think LTE with vocals. This song starts off very remoniscent of Biaxident by LTE, but has vocals, and retains the sound throughout.

About to Crash is a good deal heavier, and it seems to go in a somewhat different direction then DT normally does. It can be more dissonant.

The Test That Stumped Them All - An absolute orgy of sound!

Goodnight Kiss - Mellow, laid back, and very emotional, also kind of spacey.

I haven't had too much time to really listen to this album, but it is an extremely good one, I must say
smily_headphones1.gif
. Solitary Shell has a tune that sounds extremely famaliar to me, if anyone knows what it is, I wouldn't mind being remonded.

But, I still want my old, edgy, not afraid to sing sky high LaBrie. Not perfect by any means, but I reckon this will fit in with my favorite CDs for a long time to come.

9/10.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 20
I just got it today also, and think it's the best album they have ever done. I listened to both CD's tonight. The Musicianship is incredible. The vocals sounded good to me. This is a very adventurous album for Dream Theater and that's why they are "Progressive".

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 20
I did not know this was out. I'll be getting it shortly. Scenes from a Memory was their best yet.

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 20
I experienced Dream Theater in Oslo yesterday, what a terrific
show they did! I was also there two years ago, on their SFAM
tour. Dream Theater is my favorite band, and I must say that I
was quite surprised when I read the thread "Progressive Rock?".

smily_headphones1.gif

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a very good album, but my
favorite is still Images & Words. Actually, I am listening to that
album right now. If any of you are interested to take a look at my
CD collection, you can do that here: My CD Collection

Jan 31, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
No, no, no. Images and Words is their best I tell you!

nah mate, Awake's their best (unless 6DOIT is better ofcourse, I hope it is
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 20
I like 6DOIT more then Awake, I would put forth that 6DOIT is their second best effort so far. Unfortunately, Labrie dosen't have the same magic he had on Images and Words, and while sometimes I like the style of 6DOIT more, Labrie just isn't contrbuting the same way as before.

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
No, no, no. Images and Words is their best I tell you!

I have to admit, I forgot about I&W. But now that I think about it...I stand by my statement. IMHO. I mean, I&W had some strong tunes on it ("Metropolis, Pt. I", "Pull Me Under") but take those two tracks out, and it's less than perfect. Still impressive, leap years ahead of the schlock on the radio, but I just like the ...erm... gestalt of Scenes from a Memory.

6DoIT -- listening to it now. Magnificently majestic. Enviously energetic. Powerfully ...um... powerful.

Feb 1, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
6DoIT -- listening to it now. Magnificently majestic. Enviously energetic. Powerfully ...um... powerful.

tease
mad.gif
!

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 20
Actually, my favorite track on Images and Words would be Take the Time. I have yet to hear Labrie sing as well (I prefer his squealing!), and it is quite possibly the most uplifting song out of everything DT plays, including Metropolis 2.

Here is my opinion on the studio CDs:

Images and Words > 6DOIT > A Change of Seasons > Awake > Metropolis 2 > When Dream and day Unite > Falling into Infinity

While it looks like I don't like Scenes from a Memory too much, I really do like it a lot, I just happen to like the others a bit more.

Through 6DOIT, you can hear different styles that would fit in with any of their CDs. I think it would be better liked by DT fans overall then any of their other albums for that reason. They play heavier, more symphonic, lighter, and all over the place, somewhat reminiscent of LTE while doing so
biggrin.gif
. More then not, I hear LTE, Scenes From a Memory, and Awake, with some Images and Words thrown in.

I would have to say I can't make a decision for my favorite song on it, butThe 4th track of the 2nd CD is the worst. The 6th track on the second CD is very good, and takes a different path then most more acoustic DT songs (This one being more upbeat, and makes use of synth for a more spacey sound).

And I happen to have some of the fake songs put up (DT apparently released some fake versions on the net to throw people off), and those are quite weird and not really like the real versions, although fun to listen to.

DT = Best metal group ever!

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 20
This would be my rank:

1 Images & Words (ACOS)
2 Awake / SDOIT
3 Scenes From a Memory
4 Falling Into Infinity
5 When Dream and Day Unite

Musically, WDADU is brilliant, but Dominici isn't exactly my favorite
vocalist. I have ordered the limited edition, soon to be released
version of WDADU, which is remastered. At least the sound will
be better.

Feb 1, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 20
well, I saw 6DOIT today and just had to have a short listen
smily_headphones1.gif
sounds really promising, some LTE like powerprog, but also an atmosphere more like they had in Awake. didn't listen to disc 2 and it was a very short listn sing terrible equipment, but promising nonetheless.

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 20
Alright, I'm completely different. Scenes from a Memory is far and away my favourite, with Falling Into Infinity being second. Or third, gotta put Images & Words at #2. Not sure about those two. Awake is down near the bottom. Sorry, that one just caught me completely off-guard with how hard it was. I was on the ytse-jam emailing list when that came out, and I completely understand why DT released "false" songs. They were jamming in the studio with ...Kevin's first replacement, I forget who...I think it was Jordan Rudess originally...and hours later they were already on the web. 6DoIT is probably my second least favourite, but When Dream and Day Unite might be there with it.

Change of Seasons is awesome, but it's also kind of weird, with the one long original song (which, at the time, was my favourite single track by them yet) and the bunch of covers (which, although good, did not compare to their original material, but was a nice, appreciated departure), so not sure where I would put it.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't dislike the entries at the bottom of my list. It's still miles/years ahead of the competition. It's just that...Dream Theater have set a particularly high standard, and it's kind of hard to top.

I'd have to listen to all my Dream Theater at once to come up with a proper list, and I'm not sure my feeble little middle-aged brain can handle that right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back