6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #871 of 1,003
Do you have tubes that don't have the issue? If so, it sounds like the new tubes you got are dying on one triode.

I have a 7308 that works fine on both channels. I also thought one triode is dying but if so, the fact that all 5 have the same problem and the same channel surprised me.

The 6n23p was described as tested. I don't think they are the 75 reflector but hope they did not fake the test too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-PAI...860623?hash=item3b55ff3b0f:g:sT4AAOSwJ09gADK2

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #872 of 1,003
I have a 7308 that works fine on both channels. I also thought one triode is dying but if so, the fact that all 5 have the same problem and the same channel surprised me.

The 6n23p was described as tested. I don't think they are the 75 reflector but hope they did not fake the test too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-PAI...860623?hash=item3b55ff3b0f:g:sT4AAOSwJ09gADK2
The year is stamped on the bottom right of the logo on those. Most Russian tubes have the year on them in standard form, as opposed to a date code like other tubes.

It is unusual that all 5 have the same bad triode. Do both triode heaters light up? Try giving the pins a clean?

What amp is it?

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #874 of 1,003
Feb 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #875 of 1,003
The year is stamped on the bottom right of the logo on those. Most Russian tubes have the year on them in standard form, as opposed to a date code like other tubes.

It is unusual that all 5 have the same bad triode. Do both triode heaters light up? Try giving the pins a clean?

What amp is it?

It is a SMSL T1. I wanted to resurrect it as a tube preamp. Both sides light up and I feel the heats too.
PXL_20210214_220417019.jpg

The pins are too clean and that's why I don't think it was made in 1975, regardless the year stamp on it. Steel still shows its age after 30+ yrs.

PXL_20210214_220707185.jpg

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #876 of 1,003
It is a SMSL T1. I wanted to resurrect it as a tube preamp. Both sides light up and I feel the heats too.
PXL_20210214_220417019.jpg

The pins are too clean and that's why I don't think it was made in 1975, regardless the year stamp on it. Steel still shows its age after 30+ yrs.

PXL_20210214_220707185.jpg
I don't doubt the year. the one you pictured has rhodium plated pins, hence them remaining shiny. The internal construction is also classic 70s Russian tube.

Stock tube for that amp is a 6N11, which is a chinese equivalent of 6922, 6n23p being a Russian equivalent, electrical spec across all of them is very close, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I would normally suggest checking the amp socket pins are tight, but the Russian tubes typically have a slightly thicker pin, so if the 7308 you have works, I doubt that's the issue.

If the amp has been sat a while, I do recommend using electrical switch cleaner on the tube socket. Make sure it's unplugged from the power when you do.

I've had several large batches of 6n23p in the past, and while they were sold as NOS, about 40% plus of each batch were bad, but that seller is relatively trustworthy, and also provide test results, so I think it's worth giving the pins a clean with switch cleaner, and also giving the tube socket a clean just to be sure.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #877 of 1,003
I don't doubt the year. the one you pictured has rhodium plated pins, hence them remaining shiny. The internal construction is also classic 70s Russian tube.

Stock tube for that amp is a 6N11, which is a chinese equivalent of 6922, 6n23p being a Russian equivalent, electrical spec across all of them is very close, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I would normally suggest checking the amp socket pins are tight, but the Russian tubes typically have a slightly thicker pin, so if the 7308 you have works, I doubt that's the issue.

If the amp has been sat a while, I do recommend using electrical switch cleaner on the tube socket. Make sure it's unplugged from the power when you do.

I've had several large batches of 6n23p in the past, and while they were sold as NOS, about 40% plus of each batch were bad, but that seller is relatively trustworthy, and also provide test results, so I think it's worth giving the pins a clean with switch cleaner, and also giving the tube socket a clean just to be sure.

Answering my own questions. I solved the problem.

It turns out there are two "knobs" (with the number 202 shown in the picture) that I can turn using a screwdriver. Not sure what they control but apparently one controls each channel, and the left channel knob was slightly "off".

When I plugged 6DJ8 and 6N23P and turned it to the full, the left channel started to have great sound.

Does anyone know what they are for?

PXL_20210219_183148671.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #878 of 1,003
Just a forewarning I am a total noob to tube rolling and the headphone amp hobby diversion (😊) but over the last couple of months I have really appreciated rolling a few different tubes with my Liquid Platinum. I definitely don’t feel qualified to provide an authoritive review on what consists of various audio acoustic differences and deep analysis of my cans with different tubes. I hear what I hear and appreciate sound delivery from my POV. That’s what it’s all about isn’t it? What sounds good to me maybe crap for someone else!

But what I can offer is a one paragraph comment about what I think about the three sets of tubes I popped into my LP amp. Perhaps overtime I can become more refined in my analytical reviewing skills and re-post a better review. Tube rolling opinions appear to have grown into something somewhat like cigar wannabee aficionados’ opinions… What is a pepper and coffee taste in the 1st half of a cigar? Cigar leaves have no pepper and no coffee in them so how can smoking a cigar provide these flavours? Tube/amp/headphone reviews and audiophile opinions seem to have taken on a lingo of their of their own with interpretive meaning to the reviewer and complete verbal diarrhea for a reader! Just saying...

Anyway, let’s move on… I have read Post #1 and hopefully my comments cover the various aspects of an expected evaluation and feedback when it comes to tube opinions.

1st up is the Monolith LP stock 6922 Electro-Harmonix
These sounded pretty nice, clear and certainly provided multi-tiered sound-stage in my Senn HD820’s and no distortion at various sound levels for high, mid and low frequencies. Blackness was black and bass kinda meh but was certainly present without EQ adjustments. Sting’s Brand New Day sounded pretty good.

2nd set is Russian Reflector 6H23P-EB / 6922
These are very nice all round and represented a wide sound stage (maybe the headphones of course). Very clear rendition and provided a warm sound with Jazz and female vocals. Rock, House and heavy pounding are well represented and certainly did not tire after long sessions. Classical and opera very clear and sharp vocals for soprano's. On some tracks there definitely seemed to be tiny highs rendered which was a little painful but maybe could be attributed to crap engineering and track laydowns.

3rd up is the Mullard Holland E188CC 7308 O Getter Gold Pins (Holland build)
Like wow, OMG… Sorry for the Valley Girl lingo but I can’t believe the acoustical & clear rendering compared to the other two tubes above. There is so much fullness on all levels and clarity representation no matter what I throw at them. Alison Balsom trumpets are so vivid, Keith Richards raunchy vocals & sharp guitar notes are totally clear. Deep bass organ music and classical orchestral renditions are present with multi-level back, front, top presence in the headphones. Skrillex Bangarang and Morcheeba’s Set your Sails are awesome with immersion and a lot of depth for electro tracks as if you were in a Rave Club! Sting’s Brand New Day is the best version I have heard even comparing to my CIEM’s sound-stage. I could just go on but you probably need to listen for yourself.

Hopefully you find the above useful in your quest to find the perfect roll! Seriously been thinking my next hardware quest to be an expensive OTL or maybe the new McIntosh MHA200 but honestly listening to these latest tubes I think it will be sometime before I can top the sound of my current configuration.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #879 of 1,003
I have a good experience with the dirt cheap Amperex orange global 6DJ8 (steel pin). I like it better than the 75' 6N23P (assuming I got the genuine one), the Gold Lion 6922, and the amperex orange globe 7308.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #880 of 1,003
Answering my own questions. I solved the problem.

It turns out there are two "knobs" (with the number 202 shown in the picture) that I can turn using a screwdriver. Not sure what they control but apparently one controls each channel, and the left channel knob was slightly "off".

When I plugged 6DJ8 and 6N23P and turned it to the full, the left channel started to have great sound.

Does anyone know what they are for?

PXL_20210219_183148671.jpg
I would assume that they are biasing potentiometers. They would be used to adjust the voltage going to the tubes, left and right. It could be to adjust for voltages for different tubes and also for balancing the tubes. You can also see a jumper switch to change from 6v to 12v.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #881 of 1,003
Today I tried 6922/6DJ8 on a 6SN7 preamp using an adapter.

It works "fine" (nothing blown, hot, no one cried), except that I feel 6SN7 has a wider soundstage and full(er) bodied experience. Any comments about (not) doing this?

6922 tube: Amperex OG 6DJ8
6SN7: Raytheon brown base 6SN7WGT
preamp: Schiit saga

I am also waiting for a 6SN7 to 6922 adapter, so I can try the 6SN7 on the 6922 amp. Risky business everyday!

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #883 of 1,003
I bought the hg. I will literally not buy another tube variant now. But I want forward, crisp and detailed. I suppose you need to decide what you're wanting first.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #884 of 1,003
I would want a tube where I could get a nice soundstage and instrument separation, but also a touch of the old tubey sound.

Had the same doubts on whatever tube should I use on my Fxaudio Tube 03, where I love the Russian 6J1P-EV and 6J38P, having a nice bass, but then I tried a 6BE6W that I consider to have a much better soundstage and instrument separation, but lacks bass a little more and it heats up a lot...

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #885 of 1,003
Hi, Does anyone have experience of Sylvania 6B27 6BQ7A tubes? I have inherited a couple from the previous owner of Lyr 2, along with a pair of Genalex Gold Lion.

Currently have Amperex ECC88 tubes in Lyr 2, and I like the sound they produce more than my Amperex Bugle Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back