6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Aug 24, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #496 of 1,003

I just received a pair of these today and have been listening to them for a few hours in my Mjolnir 2. I have to say that my initial impressions are really good for these so far. The bass has a nice added kick to it with great extension. The mids are slightly warmer than neutral and have a nice, pleasing sound. The treble is slightly smoothed, but without sacrificing any detail. The soundstage has opened up as well. I feel like iFi hit a home run with this tube/adapter.

The adapter base is wrapped in silicone, which helps with heat. I haven't been able to separate the tubes from the adapter, but I haven't tried very hard at this point. I can pull the tube out of my amp and the adapter has no problem staying attached.

Thanks for the post - what are some of the better tubes you have tried in the MJ2?

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #497 of 1,003
Thanks for the post - what are some of the better tubes you have tried in the MJ2?

I've tried a few different types of tubes. The complete list is in my profile. Some of my favorites are the 1963 Amperexs, Teslas and the Siemens. I also roll the Schiit LISSTs in often to help compare to a flat, neutral response.

I have yet to try the RCA and Phillips tubes because the iFi has my full attention at the moment.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #498 of 1,003
I've tried a few different types of tubes. The complete list is in my profile. Some of my favorites are the 1963 Amperexs, Teslas and the Siemens. I also roll the Schiit LISSTs in often to help compare to a flat, neutral response.

I have yet to try the RCA and Phillips tubes because the iFi has my full attention at the moment.
Give the top Russians a try.

Someone offered to loan me their iFi pair for a quick trail, not heard back from them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #501 of 1,003

I wanted to post some tube impressions here since the Lyr tube rollers thread doesn’t wet my appetite like this thread does. Here’s a rundown of the listening setups in my house:

Mine – PC -> Fidelizer -> J River (Dithering mode off) -> iFi USB 2 Power Supply + Gemini -> iFi Micro iDSD (NOS mode) -> Schiit Lyr 2 -> Grado GS2000e, Sennheiser HD600 w/ SAA Equinox cable

Tubes rolled:

’65 Amperex 7308 USN-CEP

’75 Reflektor 6N23P SS SW

Bel Philips Design SQ E88CC/6922

Schiit LISST

I also run two Furman power conditioners in conjunction with this setup.

Brother – PC -> Fidelizer -> J River (Dithering off) -> Regen USB + Supra -> Benchmark DAC 2 HGC -> Benchmark XLR balanced cables -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ S balanced cable

Tubes:

’68 Telefunken E88CC 6922 Ulm

’70 Siemens CCa SS

He runs HD Plex and Plixir power conditioners with it.

I know there is a very limited exposure to the Grado GS2ke, so in short it sounds considerably close to an HD800 especially with soundstage, 3D imaging, and transparency. Grado has really upped their game; this headphone is supremely flat in its frequency response not nearly as colored as others. My thoughts on these tubes come from 75% GS2ke and 25% HD600.

Amperex 7308 USN-CEP – Very mid-centric sounding tubes. Instrument embodiment is quite full and impactful. All around soundstage depth is really tight. This leads to my 2D impression of their sound. The stereo imaging was definitely affected by this. I like stuff with impeccable imaging like Depeche Mode or New Order albums from the ‘80s. I just can’t track some of their keyboard effects all around me like I can with other tubes.

The tonality is on the subtly warm side of neutral transparency. Decay has a long enough hold on the music to lack air but still be relatively clear. The sound ends up highlighting more of the dynamics of the music. Synthesizers are the absolute euphonic strength of the tube with wonderful dreamy-ness and musicality. It’s what adds that dark dripping wet atmosphere to the music, very engaging stuff. There is a resounding smoothness to vocals which make male or female vocalists sound silky and intimate. By intimate I do mean close, the air on the top is really restrained.

Transient power is very impactful with crisp treble and punchy bass. Snare drum is smooth and clean. Kick drum is thunderously thumpy. Cymbals and high hats are fast and resolving never fuzzy. Bass has a nice sub-bass presence on my GS2ke. It flows fast and easy to track picking and slapping; suits well for rock stuff like Rush and Primus. On my HD600 though, I feel like there’s a slight mid-bass hump which bleeds in the upper and lower mids. It makes the guitar sound too thick and somewhat lacking texture. The mids sound congested with too much loss of separation detail. These are side effects that are stringent to what equipment is being used though.

These tubes scale well with a headphone that has a fast decay response, large soundstage, and neutral flat bass presence. I didn’t find them to pair well with a headphone that has even decay and a middle of the road soundstage.

‘75 Reflektor 6N23P SS SW – Most solid state sounding tubes that retain the best qualities I look for in a tube. There truly is wall to wall clarity without a ceiling. It is very three dimensional with its pinpoint imaging. The musicality is there and ever present. The air on the top has the sparkle that’s crystal clear. The decay is rapid fast and easily matches the GS2ke which is one of fastest dynamic headphones on the market.

The air with these tubes is downright haunting in their realistic presentation. The timbre to the body of the music is so clear from top to bottom and all around. The sound is wide open with immense soundstage depth. Separation is on a grand scale. I love hearing the backing vocals and overdubs with these. The layering with almost any given track is beautiful to dissect and hear how the song comes together and works musically.

The tonality is densely rich in clarity while being very neutral in transparency. The roll off some tubes have in the sibilance with sharp vocals or drum cymbals is handled gracefully with these. I particularly enjoy hearing the breathe left in hot vocals on certain tracks, marvelous. Musicality is head and shoulders above any tube I’ve heard. There is something that is inherently euphonic in anything I’ve thrown at them. The atmosphere isn’t as pitch dark as the Amperex 7308 but rather out in the open shinning crystal clear in the daylight.

Transient power is remarkably good given how quick the decay is. Bass is clean promptly controlled exquisitely tight. I found the bass to scale relatively neutral, flat, and transparent to the equipment being used. Treble detail and impact almost matches the Amperex 7308 but surpasses them with air and lots of it.

There is a magical sense of wonder in the price to performance ratio of the ’75 Reflektor. If this is your first foray into tubes, these can be a dangerous gateway drug. A high the likes of which you may never match.

Thanks to rb2013 for such an awestruck thread. It truly is a tube bible.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #502 of 1,003
krud484 thanks for the write up

Can anyone help re dario e188cc tubes?
I notice there are quite a few dario tubes on ebay generally quite cheaper than the philips e188cc. Are they not supposed to be the same and mafe by philips or is that too much of a generalisation/assumption?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #504 of 1,003

I wanted to post some tube impressions here since the Lyr tube rollers thread doesn’t wet my appetite like this thread does. Here’s a rundown of the listening setups in my house:

Mine – PC -> Fidelizer -> J River (Dithering mode off) -> iFi USB 2 Power Supply + Gemini -> iFi Micro iDSD (NOS mode) -> Schiit Lyr 2 -> Grado GS2000e, Sennheiser HD600 w/ SAA Equinox cable

Tubes rolled:

’65 Amperex 7308 USN-CEP

’75 Reflektor 6N23P SS SW

Bel Philips Design SQ E88CC/6922

Schiit LISST

I also run two Furman power conditioners in conjunction with this setup.

Brother – PC -> Fidelizer -> J River (Dithering off) -> Regen USB + Supra -> Benchmark DAC 2 HGC -> Benchmark XLR balanced cables -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ S balanced cable

Tubes:

’68 Telefunken E88CC 6922 Ulm

’70 Siemens CCa SS

He runs HD Plex and Plixir power conditioners with it.

I know there is a very limited exposure to the Grado GS2ke, so in short it sounds considerably close to an HD800 especially with soundstage, 3D imaging, and transparency. Grado has really upped their game; this headphone is supremely flat in its frequency response not nearly as colored as others. My thoughts on these tubes come from 75% GS2ke and 25% HD600.

Amperex 7308 USN-CEP – Very mid-centric sounding tubes. Instrument embodiment is quite full and impactful. All around soundstage depth is really tight. This leads to my 2D impression of their sound. The stereo imaging was definitely affected by this. I like stuff with impeccable imaging like Depeche Mode or New Order albums from the ‘80s. I just can’t track some of their keyboard effects all around me like I can with other tubes.

The tonality is on the subtly warm side of neutral transparency. Decay has a long enough hold on the music to lack air but still be relatively clear. The sound ends up highlighting more of the dynamics of the music. Synthesizers are the absolute euphonic strength of the tube with wonderful dreamy-ness and musicality. It’s what adds that dark dripping wet atmosphere to the music, very engaging stuff. There is a resounding smoothness to vocals which make male or female vocalists sound silky and intimate. By intimate I do mean close, the air on the top is really restrained.

Transient power is very impactful with crisp treble and punchy bass. Snare drum is smooth and clean. Kick drum is thunderously thumpy. Cymbals and high hats are fast and resolving never fuzzy. Bass has a nice sub-bass presence on my GS2ke. It flows fast and easy to track picking and slapping; suits well for rock stuff like Rush and Primus. On my HD600 though, I feel like there’s a slight mid-bass hump which bleeds in the upper and lower mids. It makes the guitar sound too thick and somewhat lacking texture. The mids sound congested with too much loss of separation detail. These are side effects that are stringent to what equipment is being used though.

These tubes scale well with a headphone that has a fast decay response, large soundstage, and neutral flat bass presence. I didn’t find them to pair well with a headphone that has even decay and a middle of the road soundstage.

‘75 Reflektor 6N23P SS SW – Most solid state sounding tubes that retain the best qualities I look for in a tube. There truly is wall to wall clarity without a ceiling. It is very three dimensional with its pinpoint imaging. The musicality is there and ever present. The air on the top has the sparkle that’s crystal clear. The decay is rapid fast and easily matches the GS2ke which is one of fastest dynamic headphones on the market.

The air with these tubes is downright haunting in their realistic presentation. The timbre to the body of the music is so clear from top to bottom and all around. The sound is wide open with immense soundstage depth. Separation is on a grand scale. I love hearing the backing vocals and overdubs with these. The layering with almost any given track is beautiful to dissect and hear how the song comes together and works musically.

The tonality is densely rich in clarity while being very neutral in transparency. The roll off some tubes have in the sibilance with sharp vocals or drum cymbals is handled gracefully with these. I particularly enjoy hearing the breathe left in hot vocals on certain tracks, marvelous. Musicality is head and shoulders above any tube I’ve heard. There is something that is inherently euphonic in anything I’ve thrown at them. The atmosphere isn’t as pitch dark as the Amperex 7308 but rather out in the open shinning crystal clear in the daylight.

Transient power is remarkably good given how quick the decay is. Bass is clean promptly controlled exquisitely tight. I found the bass to scale relatively neutral, flat, and transparent to the equipment being used. Treble detail and impact almost matches the Amperex 7308 but surpasses them with air and lots of it.

There is a magical sense of wonder in the price to performance ratio of the ’75 Reflektor. If this is your first foray into tubes, these can be a dangerous gateway drug. A high the likes of which you may never match.

Thanks to rb2013 for such an awestruck thread. It truly is a tube bible.

Great review!  Thanks for the kudos.

I completely agree with your assessment of HG '75 Reflektors SWGP.  They have the ability to track complex dynamic passages exceptionally well.  Never turning muddy or compressed - revealing and tracking multiple vocal overlays for example.  The are not rolled in the highs - so depending on source and system may not be as 'forgiving' as the Dutch tubes.  Especially on middling source chains.  So YMMV.

Cheers

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #505 of 1,003

Great review!  Thanks for the kudos.

I completely agree with your assessment of HG '75 Reflektors SWGP.  They have the ability to track complex dynamic passages exceptionally well.  Never turning muddy or compressed - revealing and tracking multiple vocal overlays for example.  The are not rolled in the highs - so depending on source and system may not be as 'forgiving' as the Dutch tubes.  Especially on middling source chains.  So YMMV.

Cheers

The roll off in the highs I get on the '75 Reflektor is subtle, it's just the way it handles sibilance that has me smitten. Out of all the tubes I've listened to, they easily have the least amount. It what gives me the solid state like impression with the only additive being the musicality. Heck, they may even out duel SS in terms of clarity and all the while still being the most transparent tubes out there.

The Amperex 7308 is very forgiving and has a heavy enough roll off to take the air out of the vocals. Intimacy becomes both their strength and their weakness. That trade off can work on some material, but not everything. The '75 Reflektor is universal in making every album I've heard sound extremely faithful to the source and reveal complexities I never noticed before.

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #506 of 1,003

The roll off in the highs I get on the '75 Reflektor is subtle, it's just the way it handles sibilance that has me smitten. Out of all the tubes I've listened to, they easily have the least amount. It what gives me the solid state like impression with the only additive being the musicality. Heck, they may even out duel SS in terms of clarity and all the while still being the most transparent tubes out there.

The Amperex 7308 is very forgiving and has a heavy enough roll off to take the air out of the vocals. Intimacy becomes both their strength and their weakness. That trade off can work on some material, but not everything. The '75 Reflektor is universal in making every album I've heard sound extremely faithful to the source and reveal complexities I never noticed before.

Well with your HD600's could be a synergy thing, as they are a bit darker then the HD800's I used for the review.  In fact the HD800 were prone to sibilance, as a reported fact by many who have reviewed them.  I 'cured' mine by swapping the stock HP chord for a Moon Dragon V2.  Still the HD800's were extremely detailed and revealing - the Moon just smoothed out that simbilance issue and deepened the bass.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #507 of 1,003

Well with your HD600's could be a synergy thing, as they are a bit darker then the HD800's I used for the review.  In fact the HD800 were prone to sibilance, as a reported fact by many who have reviewed them.  I 'cured' mine by swapping the stock HP chord for a Moon Dragon V2.  Still the HD800's were extremely detailed and revealing - the Moon just smoothed out that simbilance issue and deepened the bass.

When I think of the HD600 compared to the HD800, it’s just not in the same league. The HD800 is so much faster in its transient response, rapid quick decay. The HD600 is slower but still very neutral and resolved. It has trouble scaling to tubes that slow the decay to increase the impact and visceral transient power. That’s where the congestion comes in. I feel it is still a very transparent headphone, and I still go back to it no matter what else I’ve heard.

When I listened to the HD800, it did have a balanced Black Dragon cable attached. Every time I've ever heard it, I had none of the issues that it is supposedly known for. Some say it even went through a silent revision before the S version got released. I think it goes back to those first few reviews that mention those problems, that became the general consensus. In reality, it's how the headphone scales to the listening rig. Changing the cable makes a big difference, using tubes benefits it even further etc.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #508 of 1,003

When I think of the HD600 compared to the HD800, it’s just not in the same league. The HD800 is so much faster in its transient response, rapid quick decay. The HD600 is slower but still very neutral and resolved. It has trouble scaling to tubes that slow the decay to increase the impact and visceral transient power. That’s where the congestion comes in. I feel it is still a very transparent headphone, and I still go back to it no matter what else I’ve heard.

When I listened to the HD800, it did have a balanced Black Dragon cable attached. Every time I've ever heard it, I had none of the issues that it is supposedly known for. Some say it even went through a silent revision before the S version got released. I think it goes back to those first few reviews that mention those problems, that became the general consensus. In reality, it's how the headphone scales to the listening rig. Changing the cable makes a big difference, using tubes benefits it even further etc.

I do agree - here are David Mahler's comments on the HD 600 vs HD800:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD600

SENNHEISER: HD600​

STRENGTHS
EXCELLENT TONE: I adore the tone of the HD600. The bass, mids and treble are beautifully integrated. The tone is very close to neutral, featuring a pinch of extra warmth and body.

MIDS: The HD600 has a slightly forward midrange that adds weight to vocals. There are no odd peaks or dips here. Simply put, the HD600 possesses a very natural midrange.

GENRE MASTER: The HD600 is ready to serve its listener. Whether you like pop, classical, rock, hip hop, r&b, jazz, funk, blues, country, electronic, dance, world, etc. it will be a worthy purchase for you.

TRANSPARENT: While the HD600 lacks the speed and agility of electrostatic headphones, and although theHD600 doesn't offer quite the depth of several top-flight dynamic headphones, the HD600 is still a highly transparent headphone.

BASS: Some people will ultimately prefer the bass response of the HD600 to its younger sibling, the HD650. The HD600 has a leaner, yet more neutral bass response when compared with the HD650. The twoheadphones are largely similar, but it is in the bass presentation as well as the lower-mids where the twoSennheiser models reveal their most obvious differences.

NOT TOO AMP PICKY: With a nominal impedance rating of 300 ohms, the HD600 really does benefit from amplification. However, I have found that this headphone is not particularly amp picky. It sounds fantastic When paired with most of the amps with which I've used it. Furthermore, it sounds particularly good when connected in balanced mode.

COMFORT: The oval-shaped earpads are made of generously plush velour material. This helps make the HD600 a very comfortable headphone to wear. I prefer an oval shape to a round shape because an oval is more form-fitted to the human ear. I have used the HD600 for several hours without break. I have not a single complaint with regard to its comfort-level.

EASILY REMOVABLE PARTS: Many of the parts used in the HD600's construction, including the earpads, cable and grills are user replaceable. Parts are still easily obtainable from Sennheiser. This ensures that yourheadphone can look and function as new for a very long time.

WEAKNESSES LACKS DETAIL: The HD600 has a very smooth sound that can sometimes feel slow and slightly blurred. TheHD600 is not the last word in terms of detail retrieval.

TREBLE: For as long as I've been a member of the Head-Fi community, the HD600 and HD650 have been criticized by some for having what many refer to as a veiled sound; a sound lacking in both air and harmonic content. I can understand this criticism. Conversely, the HD800 has been criticized for having the treble tilted too far forward. I don't agree with this criticism as the HD800 changes drastically from amp to amp (it can sound quite warm in some setups). The HD600's sonic presentation ultimately lacks some upper harmonics regardless of with which amp it is paired. The good news is, the treble is almost complete void of grain and is not at all harsh or sibilant.

ON THE FENCE
SOUNDSTAGE: The HD600 has an open sound, yet its soundstage is not particularly wide. In my opinion, the soundstage presentation here is best suited for smaller ensembles. In particular, I really enjoy the way jazz music sounds with the HD600. But realistically, just about everything sounds good with the HD600.

IMAGING: The HD600 has the ability to image decently. However, it does not quite offer the pinpoint accuracy which some higher-end headphones are capable of offering.

DECAY: The HD600's decay is slightly slow, but at the same time is very smooth and natural. This makes for a rather engaging (and somewhat romantic) sonic experience.

CABLE: The quality of the HD600's stock cable is not too bad considering the price of the headphone. However, Sennheiser makes the cable easily removable. This makes it very easy to install an aftermarket cable replacement. I use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon when in balanced mode. I think the HD600 scales nicely in balanced mode. In the picture shown above, the HD600 is photographed with the HD650's stock cable.

SENNHEISER: HD800​

STRENGTHS NEUTRALITY KING: In my opinion, the HD800 is the neutrality king. Depending on the setup, the HD800 may sound warm or bright. Because of its finicky nature with regard to amplification, many have described the HD800 as bright, but I cannot get on board with this description. I have heard the same pair of HD800's sound both dark and bright when paired with different setups. It really is a very amp-dependent headphone.

GREAT SOUNDSTAGE: While not everyone prefers a wide soundstage, I would say that for monitoring and critical listening purposes, it is beneficial. The HD800 features one of the most finely-contoured and widest soundstage presentations I've ever come across in a headphone. The height is not exceptional, but the depth and width are exemplary. This makes the HD800 an excellent choice for classical music in particular; when you listen to an 80-piece orchestra with 21 different parts all culminating at once, you really crave that width.

IMAGING: If you think of sound imaging as sort of like the degrees of protractor (left at 0 and right at 180) then the HD800 offers perhaps the most pinpoint accuracy of all headphones that I've heard. This headphonecan spotlight the distances and relationships between instruments extremely well. It is also able to demonstrate phase problems better than most other headphones I've used.

MIDS: The mids here are really where it's at. I actually think the bass is superb here as well, but the mids are so fine. Pianos, acoustic guitars, trumpets etc. all sound about as uncolored as I can imagine.

ACOUSTIC MASTER: Regardless of whether I'm listening to classical, jazz or folk music, the HD800 leaves me in awe every time. Its sound signature leaves acoustic instruments completely uncolored.

DETAILED: The HD800 offers a wonderfully detailed sound signature; without sounding hyper-detailed or inauthentic.

DECAY: The HD800 offers a liquid-like decay. Some may prefer the decay here over that of the top electrostatic models because, while it is not as fast, it manages to add body to the overall sonic presentation.

COMFORT: I think the HD800 is exceptionally comfortable. Your ears do not make contact with the interior of the cup. The velour pads do not over-heat my ears. Despite being heavier than average, the HD800 rests very comfortably on the head.

BALANCED MODE: I've found that the HD800 scales particularly well in balanced mode - better than most other headphones. With the HD800 in balanced mode, I clearly notice an added sense space and dimension.

CABLE: The HD800's stock cable is a very finely-crafted cable. However, it is also user-removable. This makes installing an aftermarket cable a cinch.

SERIALIZED: Each HD800 is individually serialized with a unique frequency response chart available at request.

WEAKNESSES AMP FINICKY: With regard to amp synergy, the HD800 has a reputation for being finicky. This means that it can sound amazing in one setup and harsh or lifeless in another setup. As a result, it can be quite the task when planning a setup around the HD800.

LACKS EUPHONY: Of all sonic attributes, the word euphonic seems the hardest to quantify and define. When a headphone is euphonic, this means that there are certain distortions in the sound reproduction that add a humanness or emotive quality. Some may refer to this as “the wow factor." I find that no matter how wonderful the HD800 sounds, it does not bless my ears with a euphonious quality.

UNFORGIVING: Being unforgiving is really not a bad thing per se. However, in my opinion, the HD800 is just a few hairs too picky with regard to what recordings it excels with. It sounds stunning with well-recorded music (particularly acoustic instruments), but throw on an older recording or a brightly-mastered pop record, and you may find yourself reaching for an alternate headphone.

SIBILANT: In some instances, particularly with solid-state amps, I've found the HD800 to be slightly more sibilant than average.

STORAGE: For their future flagship offerings, I hope Sennheiser will do better in the storage department than they did with the HD800. The HD800's thick cardboard box with satin interior is just average for the price.

ON THE FENCE TRANSPARENT?: The HD800 functions as a very transparent window into the music. That said, I would not say that the HD800 is the most transparent headphone on the block. It is definitely near the top tier with regard to transparency, but there can sometimes be a slight edginess in the treble that makes it fall just slightly short of ultimate perfection.

DESIGN: It is worth mentioning here that Sennheiser has released a limited edition glossy black version of the HD800, which some find even more cosmetically appealing than the standard version. I adore the way the HD800 looks and they surely are comfortable! However, I feel that the headphone exhibits two design concerns. One is just how easily the paint chips. The other is that the earpads are not user-removable/replaceable. For clarification purposes, I want to express here that some users have attempted removing the earpads from their HD800 (some successfully, some with incurred damage). It is my suspicion that the HD800 was not designed with the intention of having the earpads removed by the user.

TREBLE: I have heard the HD800's treble sound unbelievably rounded and balanced. However, I do notice that there are moments when I wish the mids would transition more smoothly into the treble. It is extremely rare that I find myself feeling this way about the HD800, but I feel that it is worth mentioning.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #509 of 1,003
Ok Had a chance to do a little tube rolling thanks to a friend who sent me a pair of the iFi 5670 with adapters to work with 6922, a pair of new production Tele 'Black Diamond' E88CC's, and a set of 6N3 to E88CC adapters into which I plugged my Western Electric 396A's:

Against these I ran the ultra rare export version of the HG's - I call the Uber HG's

Well here is what I heard in my Lyr 1 amp -

The new production Tele BD E88CC's are a major disappointment - veiled, flattish sounding, weak bass, lacking dynamics - NADA!
At close to $100/pr you can find much, much better NOS glass.

Next the iFi 'NOS 6922'   actually GE 5670 with permanent adapters:
Not bad!  Rich harmonics, decent bass, better then average detail and dynamics.
Still I think you can do much better for the $100/pr cost for these

The best of the three the the Western Electric 396A with these inexpensive 6N3 to ECC88 adapters (thanks Terry!).
Rich harmonics, deep bass, nice detail - a true bargain for around $50/pr.

Now in comparison to the Uber HG's - well no real comparison - the Uber's are just better in every way.  Much more detail - better and deeper bass, greater dynamics, and best of all the most natural and richest tone of the bunch.  But of course these are near impossible to find and when you do they are north of $230/pr.

I guess if I had never heard the HGs, or the Uber HGs -the WE 396A's I could live with happily.  The problem with tube rolling once you hear greatness - it's very hard to turn back.

Cautionary note: The Lyr 1 HP amp is known to be able to handle a wide array of tubes - to that group I believe the WE 396A could be added (but check with Schiit first), as for other amps like the Lyr2?  Best to contact the manufacturer and ask them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back