6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Jun 11, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #334 of 1,003
  These just arrived to me today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182141663666?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One hums uncontrollably at all volumes. Looks like I've been had!

You have two options with this seller - he will allow you to return as far as I recall. Also about the hum I've had cases where the hum goes away after burn in - if the measurements given for these tubes are correct then they should have a lot of life. So it's entirely possible the hum/noise/whatever you have goes away with burnin.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #335 of 1,003
You have two options with this seller - he will allow you to return as far as I recall. Also about the hum I've had cases where the hum goes away after burn in - if the measurements given for these tubes are correct then they should have a lot of life. So it's entirely possible the hum/noise/whatever you have goes away with burnin.

That's encouraging, thanks. For burn in, I suppose I could leave the amp running with the tube while I'm out of the house--otherwise it would be a no-go actually listening to music because of how loud the hum is.

The other tube in the pair seems in good shape, but its volume is noticeably lower than my '85 Reflektors that come standard in my Decware Torii Jr.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #336 of 1,003
That's encouraging, thanks. For burn in, I suppose I could leave the amp running with the tube while I'm out of the house--otherwise it would be a no-go actually listening to music because of how loud the hum is.

The other tube in the pair seems in good shape, but its volume is noticeably lower than my '85 Reflektors that come standard in my Decware Torii Jr.
Those are different dual getter post tubes

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #340 of 1,003
I have had good luck with that seller ('74s).  I bought from another Ukraine dealer and one of my '75s arrived DOA.  It took him some time to find a match, but he replaced it, no questions asked. 

All in all, I have had good luck with the Russian/Urkaine sellers.  I'd contact them if it persists.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #341 of 1,003
Anyone experience with the Mullard E188CC's ? Might buy those to pair up with the lyr 2 and HD800s

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #342 of 1,003
I see some folks ranking the Mullards (UK) the highest and the Russian (HG) low, the German CCa and the US (Amperex)  the lowest.  I just want to make a comment.

This person must have a very bright or harsh system.  Or a low quality source.

These tubes run from emphasizing warmth and liquidity (sacrificing detail, air and transparency)  - the UK and the Dutch tubes in this category.  I consider these tubes to be far from balanced and extremely euphonic.  In my refined system way to 'wooly' sounding.  They can help to mask or tame a very bright SS system or one with a harsh source.  They seem to mask detail that would present as edginess or etch.  Many like this uber euphonic sound - not for me though.

The German Siemens and Telefunken emphasizing the opposite - air, transparency and detail (but not warm or lush).  Great on all tube system as they add air and transparency.  But need top quality equipment to sound smooth.  So these present also as not neutral.

The top US and Russian tubes I have heard seem to be the best balanced.  The best of the US like the Amperex 7308 USN-CEP and the Amperex PQ White shield are my favorite Amperex's - I much prefer to the Pinched Waist Amperex 6DJ8/6922 or the Valvo Herleens.  They have many of the best qualities of both sides of the tonal balance.

But it's the 'HG' 6N23P that are my absolute favorites - with a perfect (for me) rich natural tonal balanced.  Plenty of warmth, musicality and smoothness - but coupled with extraordinary detail and transparency.  Perfectly neutral in presentation.  Magic with my HD800/Moon Black Dragon V2 HPs.

So every person will have their personal preferences.  What makes tube rolling so much fun!

Cheers

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #343 of 1,003

I have rolled the 6n23ps and the Mullards and have the same observations as above.  I am mostly a speaker listener though.

I prefer the Mullards in my primary systems only because I am currently running full range drivers which are bright.

I run 6n23p's in a second system that is more balanced.

I took my '74 6n23p's and '75's to a friend's system which I consider a little warm and they worked wonders.  He bought a pair the next day.  Wonderful tubes.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #344 of 1,003

I have rolled the 6n23ps and the Mullards and have the same observations as above.  I am mostly a speaker listener though.

I prefer the Mullards in my primary systems only because I am currently running full range drivers which are bright.

I run 6n23p's in a second system that is more balanced.

I took my '74 6n23p's and '75's to a friend's system which I consider a little warm and they worked wonders.  He bought a pair the next day.  Wonderful tubes.

Yes - exactly as I spoke of.  One of the many reasons I love tubes - that and the extraodinary sound staging and holographic presentation.

Just with HPs - look at the range of tonal signatures - just from the HD800's to the LCD's

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #345 of 1,003

Yes - exactly as I spoke of.  One of the many reasons I love tubes - that and the extraodinary sound staging and holographic presentation.

Just with HPs - look at the range of tonal signatures - just from the HD800's to the LCD's

I cant see many of those single-wire reflektors on ebay. Got any other shop to buy those? I prefer mint(new)-ones and matched. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back