6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Oct 11, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #946 of 1,003
I had a quad of the '75 "grails". It's a nice tube, just depends on system matching and sonic preferences. I found it to be very detailed, clear and transparent. More of a "solid state" squeaky clean sound imho.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #947 of 1,003
Since I moved to the Telefunken G73R's, my former #1 Telefunken ECC801S's (matched pair) are now available in the Classifieds. Great deal.
PM me.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #948 of 1,003
My testing standard for tubes is the behavior in a microphone circuit, so far most stable among the ECC88 series are the older Reflector tubes up until 75', while with most samples of Amperex \ Telefunken \ Valvo - I'm getting higher noise floor and random noises - this is due to lower input resistance and current leaks,

If shameless plugs are allowed here :)
Got a matched pair of NOS Reflector 6N23P 75' SWGP Silver shields - tested strong and noise free - open to reasonable offers :beyersmile:

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #949 of 1,003
I recently bought my first tube amp (Schiit Folkvangr) several months ago. I have been reading about the 6922, 7308, and 6DJ8 tubes that are installed in the Schiit. One tube I keep coming back to is the Tesla Cross Swords blue tip built in factory 32. Recently I came across a red tip variant of the Tesla with Cross Swords. I am looking for a warm tube and not that sounds like a solid state amp. Will the Tesla blue tip provide a warm sound? Thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #950 of 1,003
I recently bought my first tube amp (Schiit Folkvangr) several months ago. I have been reading about the 6922, 7308, and 6DJ8 tubes that are installed in the Schiit. One tube I keep coming back to is the Tesla Cross Swords blue tip built in factory 32. Recently I came across a red tip variant of the Tesla with Cross Swords. I am looking for a warm tube and not that sounds like a solid state amp. Will the Tesla blue tip provide a warm sound? Thanks in advance.

If you seek a warmer sound then Amperex, Mullard, Philips Holland are all safe bets I think.

I think none of my Eastern European tubes have a “warm” sound. Voskhod, Reflektor and Tesla are all more SS-ish.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #951 of 1,003
If you seek a warmer sound then Amperex, Mullard, Philips Holland are all safe bets I think.

I think none of my Eastern European tubes have a “warm” sound. Voskhod, Reflektor and Tesla are all more SS-ish.
Thanks for the input. I recently changed out the stock tubes which were two different brands due to a static noise when turning the volume knob, it could only be heard when no music was playing. I installed some Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 that I purchased on Ebay for $42 for the pair. The static noise is no longer present and I have about 20 hours on these tubes. Any thought on these tubes?

amperex tube.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #953 of 1,003
Thanks for the input. I recently changed out the stock tubes which were two different brands due to a static noise when turning the volume knob, it could only be heard when no music was playing. I installed some Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 that I purchased on Ebay for $42 for the pair. The static noise is no longer present and I have about 20 hours on these tubes. Any thought on these tubes?

amperex tube.jpg
Those are quite nice. I have ‘rolled’ them in Liquid Platinum, Woo WA2, Woo WA3.

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #955 of 1,003
Having recently picked up a VAC preamp that takes the 6DJ8 and 12 DJ8 families of tubes, I was pointed to this thread, which has been very helpful in getting started (and maybe ended, having picked pairs of Philips Holland and Reflektor 6N23P 1975 tubes).. One question I’ve had for reference, Was the evaluation of tubes done entirely with headphones or were loudspeakers involved too? The latter seem to be mentioned in the system presentation, but the write-ups for the tubes only refer to headphones. Thanks,

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #958 of 1,003
How does everyone store their tubes? I have cigar boxes and others with a bunch of tubes in foam, box, bubble wrap, pairs in elastic bands, etc... What a mess. When I was a kid there were large square compartment type on the tube testing machines. I can't seem to find anything suitable and was wondering what others where doing.

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #959 of 1,003
How does everyone store their tubes? I have cigar boxes and others with a bunch of tubes in foam, box, bubble wrap, pairs in elastic bands, etc... What a mess. When I was a kid there were large square compartment type on the tube testing machines. I can't seem to find anything suitable and was wondering what others where doing.

Thanks.
I use tea wooden box

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #960 of 1,003

Thanks.

I say store your tubes like a pro:

08117FEF-6EFB-4CA7-9157-7C467F9D912E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back