6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #376 of 1,006
The ones you have from Upscale Audio looks fake to me, sorry to say that. This one I could see clearly the o = a 0 (zero) bigger than the rest. And the numbers are not alligned well. Difference between hand marked or machine marked.

The ones I linked from eBay are harder to see, looks legit to me. I cannot spot a mistake. When I look at the pins on the eBay ones they are not completely straight. Also I see the square on the bodem on the eBay one (which is both good). The box (number) and used label on the eBay tubes I could not verify good enough on the pictures. I think only the Telefunken with vertical-datecode have a date-code on the box as well. But I can't do yet a water check for example. But yours is clearly easier to identify than the one on eBay :frowning2:. I did send two-mails to the seller and confront him and asked him to provide more information about the tubes (batch) and if he did know about being fake telefunken on the market. And if he could spot the difference.  I don't want to harm his reputation, neither I want to receive fake tubes. So I gave him a friendly warning and told him that a close friend (Tube-expert) will set his eye on them as well. 

see here for example of the fakes:

Just for your information: I did e-mail Upscale Audio Twice (about shipping internationally). Would pay for the extra costs etc.

No response so far. 

I have made 3 successful trades here, 1 for a big ticket item without a hitch, I would not appreciate being called out on trading "fakes" with that tiny bit of info you posted and I'm sure the other headfier does not either. Now you injected doubt in a sale of likey real Telefunken E88CC.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #377 of 1,006
The ones you have from Upscale Audio looks fake to me, sorry to say that. This one I could see clearly the o = a 0 (zero) bigger than the rest. And the numbers are not alligned well. Difference between hand marked or machine marked.

The ones I linked from eBay are harder to see, looks legit to me. I cannot spot a mistake. When I look at the pins on the eBay ones they are not completely straight. Also I see the square on the bodem on the eBay one (which is both good). The box (number) and used label on the eBay tubes I could not verify good enough on the pictures. I think only the Telefunken with vertical-datecode have a date-code on the box as well. But I can't do yet a water check for example. But yours is clearly easier to identify than the one on eBay :frowning2:. I did send two-mails to the seller and confront him and asked him to provide more information about the tubes (batch) and if he did know about being fake telefunken on the market. And if he could spot the difference.  I don't want to harm his reputation, neither I want to receive fake tubes. So I gave him a friendly warning and told him that a close friend (Tube-expert) will set his eye on them as well. 

see here for example of the fakes:

Just for your information: I did e-mail Upscale Audio Twice (about shipping internationally). Would pay for the extra costs etc.

No response so far. 

You are completely, 100%, unequivocally incorrect.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #378 of 1,006
Can't say if Hansotek's tubes are real or not - but I recently got a pair that looks just like them - similar serial numbers too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182204279566

And after looking at it it's real Telefunken. However it's certainly not E88CC as I while cleaning the pins with my usual process - isopropyl alcohol, then scrubbing with the metal cleaning brush from the kit and before treating with deoxit gold - some of the gold plating fell off.
They sound identical to other pairs of real Teles that I own. They are probably ECC88 or PCC88.
Take what you will from this :)

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #379 of 1,006

As far as Upscale Audio goes other than his prices are very high and that Kevin is somewhat full of himself.  His tubes are legit.  Most of his tubes are somewhat newer old stock from the mid late 70's and up.  Not the mid-sixties and earlier that most of us are looking for.  But he does match and test the tubes he sells.

I find the advantage of dealing with a brick and mortar store is you have someone to hold accountable if the product is not as advertised.  This can be more difficult with Ebay sellers.

And as far as Hansotek's tube looking fake.  From the photos I do not see anything that would lead me to think they are other than listed.  There are a very few people on this thread I believe can spot a fake from limited photos.  Most of them have far more tube rolling experience than you do at this point.  When on these threads may want to take care when calling out what you believe may be fake until you have a little more experience under your belt.

You are right. I don't have much experience yet. I only see some posts going around on the internet about fake- Telefunken tubes and were to recognize them from.
This dutch guy (where I had contact with) did mess a bit with my head and made me insecure. He linked a lot of information about those fake e88cc's tubes and called the tubes I bought on ebay from Langrex through the eBay-auction fake. 

For what I know, Langrex exists for centuries and have a good reputation, with a lot of reviews , trusted ebay seller etc. I apologise. 
Same with Upscale Audio. They have some good reputation as well. Although they still didn't respond on my e-mail :p. Hopefully they do in a couple of days :D

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #380 of 1,006
You are right. I don't have much experience yet. I only see some posts going around on the internet about fake- Telefunken tubes and were to recognize them from.

This dutch guy (where I had contact with) did mess a bit with my head and made me insecure. He linked a lot of information about those fake e88cc's tubes and called the tubes I bought on ebay from Langrex through the eBay-auction fake. 

For what I know, Langrex exists for centuries and have a good reputation, with a lot of reviews , trusted ebay seller etc. I apologise. 

Same with Upscale Audio. They have some good reputation as well. Although they still didn't respond on my e-mail :p. Hopefully they do in a couple of days :D

I think I'm the one to whom you owe the apology. Un-frickin-believable.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #381 of 1,006

Yes, I do. Not only you but also to two companies. I sincerely apologize. It seems the source with the fake-tube examples can't be trusted completely then. 
I am adult enough to admit my mistakes. Hopefully you could accept it ;(. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #382 of 1,006

Nah c'mon there is no harm in reasonable doubt. Check out my previous post the tubes from upscale look a lot like mine even one of the codes is super similar. And mine are fak. Not fake telefunken but wfake e88cc. Still not what their print is saying ecc88 or pcc88. So get off this dudes case no harm in looking fotlr the truth

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #383 of 1,006
Nah c'mon there is no harm in reasonable doubt. Check out my previous post the tubes from upscale look a lot like mine even one of the codes is super similar. And mine are fak. Not fake telefunken but wfake e88cc. Still not what their print is saying ecc88 or pcc88. So get off this dudes case no harm in looking fotlr the truth

Guess we all could admit that this whole vintage-tube thing is a bit risky. Sadly enough humans exploit it to get some fast cash. If people didn't copy paintings, tubes et, lie and deceive etc the world would look a lot better :p. A lot of pirates on Ebay from specific countries. It is like sailing through Tortugo (City/Pirates of the Carribbean).  Eminem wrote a song : Eminem - If I had.  Money is the root of all evil :D. best song he wrote (first album) he released. So much wisedom

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #384 of 1,006
Yes, I do. Not only you but also to two companies. I sincerely apologize. It seems the source with the fake-tube examples can't be trusted completely then. 

I am adult enough to admit my mistakes. Hopefully you could accept it ;(. 

Thank you. I appreciate that, really. All is forgiven.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #385 of 1,006

Reasonable doubt is one thing and perfectly fine.  Guessing with limited knowledge and experience then calling out someones classified listing as fake on an open forum is another. If there was concern that would have been better handled via PM. 

As far as look like via limited photos is very tricky @Oskari and @gibosi are two of the few I trust to know different tube manufactures by photo of tube constuction alone.

Did you buy some from Upscale and get fake tubes?   I have a couple sets from Upscale and they were just as described.  If you did then first you should return them for refund. As stated earlier Upscale has high prices but have been a reliable vendor.   If Upscale does not back the sale then do a charge-back with your cc company.  If you used Paypal you have six months.   

The internet is a great tool but not always where one will find truth.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #387 of 1,006
Ok upscale audio aside I am 100% certain the teles I got from ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182204279566 are fake reprinted Tele ecc88 or pcc88. The gold plating comes off the pins with ease. The seller got them from european audio hifi store so he did not know about it. They test and sound amazing. But they are still fake printed e88cc. So if your tubes look like mine beware it might be the same case of forgery

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #388 of 1,006
Ok upscale audio aside I am 100% certain the teles I got from ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182204279566 are fake reprinted Tele ecc88 or pcc88. The gold plating comes off the pins with ease. The seller got them from european audio hifi store so he did not know about it. They test and sound amazing. But they are still fake printed e88cc. So if your tubes look like mine beware it might be the same case of forgery

How is the paint?, is it easy to take off or not removable?

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #389 of 1,006
Print is not completely white it's yellowish i have to check if it rubs off

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #390 of 1,006
Does someone know a shop that sells the Mullard E188CC GB-version (Blue-Box). Not the RTC-France-version.
It seems Upscale Audio sells them.  Yet they don't ship internationally. Well on their website I cannot select other countries than the US atleast.
I did send them a e-mail with a question for international-shipping. But maybe someone else knows a shop that does, has those in bulk :D.
Think i'd buy those end of august or so. I might like the warm-sound of the mullards. 

I am kinda out of budget for this month. The Telefunken and DHC-cable :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back