6922 / 12AU7 Family Tube suggestions based on EF91 love needed (AKA: Back at it again)
Oct 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

morfic

100+ Head-Fier
In my LD I+ i can use EF95, EF92, EF91 and 408A tubes (or tube families), i can't get away from the EF91 as my most used tubes, but also love me some of the various black plate 6AK5(W) tubes i have.

Based on this i would like to know which  6DJ8/6922/ECC88/6N11/6N23P or 12AX7/12AU7/12AT7/6N4 tubes might be closest to my favorite EF91/CV4014 tubes.

I got another amp to be able to have it serve as a pre-amp as well with RCA input from dac and RCA output to speakers (powered/active) instead coming out of the headphone jack.
Looking around i kept getting past the Indeed G2, which is what i ended up ordering (The one with electro-harmonix 6922 tubes, but not gold pin), while i will ultimately keep on trying tubes until i find the sweet spot myself, i will very much appreciate any "starting pointers".

Thanks in advance for any info or even just the "tube chat".

Daniel

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, here is something I consider to be a pretty accurate starting point:

There is one of those for the 6DJ8/6922, but I cannot seem to find it.

There is also the wonderful Joe's Tube Lore:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 5
I enjoy the EF91 in my LD 1+ as well.  My CTH takes both the 6DJ8 and 12au7 tubes along with the different variants.  I've collected quite a few tubes off of ebay and found my favorite to be the CBS 7730.  I think it comes fairly close to the EF91 "sound" .  Of course different amps won't all sound the same.  If your amp's heater will let you use the 6cg7 I'd recommend the RCA cleartops and the Raytheon.  In my CTH the 6cg7's are head and shoulders above the 6dj8 and 12au7. YMMV  The CTH thread in the DIY forum gives a lot of feedback with the various tubes others have tried.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 5

Thanks, i am not sure how i would use the words on that chart vs how they were used there, hence me looking something comparative, while people might use different words, "sounds close to a EF91" should be much more universally useful.

Thanks in any way,

Daniel

Quote:
Well, here is something I consider to be a pretty accurate starting point:

There is one of those for the 6DJ8/6922, but I cannot seem to find it.

There is also the wonderful Joe's Tube Lore:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I enjoy the EF91 in my LD 1+ as well.  My CTH takes both the 6DJ8 and 12au7 tubes along with the different variants.  I've collected quite a few tubes off of ebay and found my favorite to be the CBS 7730.  I think it comes fairly close to the EF91 "sound" .  Of course different amps won't all sound the same.  If your amp's heater will let you use the 6cg7 I'd recommend the RCA cleartops and the Raytheon.  In my CTH the 6cg7's are head and shoulders above the 6dj8 and 12au7. YMMV  The CTH thread in the DIY forum gives a lot of feedback with the various tubes others have tried.

Thanks, i'll keep those in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back